PDA

View Full Version : Glass question

DRWWE
08-24-2006, 09:24 AM
I'm having trouble getting my windows perfectly clean. When I look at them from the outside it is almost like they have a faint roughness to them all over, kind of like overspray but it is clear. It is very subtle. Can't see it from the inside. Especially irritating on the rear glass because I get some glare.

I have tried Stoner invisible glass which has always worked before but the glass looks the same. I am tempted to try polishing it and have used Klasse AIO on glass before with great results but was wondering if anyone has a better suggestion.

:dunno:

Elvis530i
08-24-2006, 09:45 PM
Try using a clay bar. You'd be surprised at the amount of crap that can accumulate on your windows that window cleaner alone won't remove.

PropellerHead
08-24-2006, 10:05 PM
Try using a clay bar. You'd be surprised at the amount of crap that can accumulate on your windows that window cleaner alone won't remove.Clay bar is a good idea, but what you need is to polish the glass. I use a glass specific polish by Einzett. I would magine any midly abrasive polish will do.

Spartacus_33
08-25-2006, 03:19 PM
I just received my order of new stuff today. In there is a bottle of DP (Detailer's Pride) High Performance Glass Restorer. It says:

Removes water spots and etching
Restores clarity and shine
Designed for machine use

I hope to give it a try this weekend...... I'll post an update on Monday.....

dboy11
08-25-2006, 03:39 PM
I'm having trouble getting my windows perfectly clean. When I look at them from the outside it is almost like they have a faint roughness to them all over, kind of like overspray but it is clear. It is very subtle. Can't see it from the inside. Especially irritating on the rear glass because I get some glare.

I have tried Stoner invisible glass which has always worked before but the glass looks the same. I am tempted to try polishing it and have used Klasse AIO on glass before with great results but was wondering if anyone has a better suggestion.

:dunno:

As suggested clay that window to start then polish your Klasse is a chemical based cleaner so that will work just fine...then use the Stoners with a micro fiber towel if you have some...the best method for cleaning glass is to spray on Stoners, wipe the whole window down, then turn over towel and buff

Spartacus_33
08-28-2006, 08:09 AM
Washed my car yesterday and anxiously opened my new bottle of DP (Detailer's Pride) High Performance Glass Restorer. It came with a little sponge... but I opted to use my PC 7424 and a yellow pad. The stuff is magic.......... my windshield is perfectly clear.

Something got on my car during the ED trip back... not sure what, but I've been trying to get it off my paint ever since re-delivery. I've been focused on the paint, so haven't spent much time on the windows.... now that the paint is cool... it was time to really focus on the windshield.

In the past I had tried:
Distilled vinegar/distilled water solution
Several grades of polish including Sonus SFX-1
Clar bar
Klasse

Nothing really touched this scum/etching on the glass.........

The DP High Performance Glass Restorer (http://www.superiorcarcare.net/glass-restorer.html) removed it in a matter of minutes with the PC.

I followed up with Sprayway glass cleaner..... and it's absolutely crystal clear.

My gf has an old 98 Nissan PU with severe water spot etching from the original owner... I'm planning on attacking it later this week.......

I would highly recommend this product. :thumbup:

dboy11
08-28-2006, 08:52 AM
Washed my car yesterday and anxiously opened my new bottle of DP (Detailer's Pride) High Performance Glass Restorer. It came with a little sponge... but I opted to use my PC 7424 and a yellow pad. The stuff is magic.......... my windshield is perfectly clear.

Something got on my car during the ED trip back... not sure what, but I've been trying to get it off my paint ever since re-delivery. I've been focused on the paint, so haven't spent much time on the windows.... now that the paint is cool... it was time to really focus on the windshield.

In the past I had tried:
Distilled vinegar/distilled water solution
Several grades of polish including Sonus SFX-1
Clar bar
Klasse

Nothing really touched this scum/etching on the glass.........

The DP High Performance Glass Restorer (http://www.superiorcarcare.net/glass-restorer.html) removed it in a matter of minutes with the PC.

I followed up with Sprayway glass cleaner..... and it's absolutely crystal clear.

My gf has an old 98 Nissan PU with severe water spot etching from the original owner... I'm planning on attacking it later this week.......

I would highly recommend this product. :thumbup:

I didn't realize that this was a ED car they put white plastic on most all the car to protect from rail dust and anything that can get on there while in transit...you had some residue from the glue on the window I'd bet

Spartacus_33
08-28-2006, 09:12 AM
I didn't realize that this was a ED car they put white plastic on most all the car to protect from rail dust and anything that can get on there while in transit...you had some residue from the glue on the window I'd bet

It was this stuff on my paint/glass that led me to this forum......

I was there in February and the temp never got above 23 degrees (F). I only drove a couple hundred miles, but the car was covered with salt/sand spray from the Autobahn. Although I found a "drive through" car wash 2 blocks from the "drop off" in Munich...... and I did sit there for about 10 minutes staring at it... with the big brushes going round and round...... I opted out, put it in reverse and dropped it off with the spray on it.

I instructed my dealer to NOT wash it, but to please let me handle it.

When I got it home and washed it off.... I had water spots (little clear circles) on the hood, roof and trunk.. and the widshield. It's been painful...... but I've learned alot about detailing products in the process...... I'm still not sure if the salt caused the spots (clear circles) or if something dripped on it during shipping...... one thing for sure.. no one put any white plastic on it.

DRWWE
08-28-2006, 09:46 AM
I'm going to try clay and Klasse later this week. It sounds like it should work. I hate dirty windows.

Should I use the Stoner's for lubricant or the same stuff I use on my paint (quick detailer)??

Spartacus_33
08-28-2006, 10:14 AM
I'm going to try clay and Klasse later this week. It sounds like it should work. I hate dirty windows.

Should I use the Stoner's for lubricant or the same stuff I use on my paint (quick detailer)??

Stoner's is not a lubricant. I know many people just use car shampoo for lube... on their car that is! :rofl:

DotBalm
08-28-2006, 10:06 PM
FWIW, I've used two glass polishes that I like: Griots Garage Fine Glass Polish and Zaino Bros Z-12 Clear-View Glass Polish. I think the Griots is a touch easier to clean off completely.

Will try buffing post Stoner's Invisible w/the opposite side of the cloth. Previously Stoner's has left a haze that shows up in certain light angles. Operator error.

I washed my wife's car recently, and once the windshield was rinsed I found concrete splatter drops on her windshield. I used clay and glass polish. Anyone have secrets for removing dried, baked on concrete splatter? New car? :tsk:

Spartacus_33
08-29-2006, 08:11 AM
I washed my wife's car recently, and once the windshield was rinsed I found concrete splatter drops on her windshield. I used clay and glass polish. Anyone have secrets for removing dried, baked on concrete splatter? New car? :tsk:

Dude... those are some hard a$$ birds in your neighborhood.............:yikes:

TOGWT
08-29-2006, 08:37 AM
Concrete Spots:
Calcified water spots on paint and glass, water and concrete spots are pretty much the same chemically - calcium carbonate, with the concrete being cross-linked with water

Methodology
***8226;Apply 1:1 ratio water with distilled White Vinegar solution, and using a spray bottle, spray that mixture on the spots and let them "soak." Then rinse with water and repeat as necessary.
***8226;If the ambient temperature water/vinegar mix does not work, warm (100-120 degrees) 100% distilled White Vinegar, saturate a clean kitchen sponge with pure vinegar and hold the sponge over the concrete spots for a 'few' minutes.
***8226;If the above do not remove them try equal parts distilled water, isopropyl alcohol and distilled white vinegar. The acid in the vinegar will help etch and dissolve the concrete.
***8226;Rinse the area thoroughly with water after the vinegar and then reapply wax or sealant to that area.

TOGWT
08-29-2006, 11:05 AM
Concrete Spots:
Calcified water spots on paint and glass, water and concrete spots are pretty much the same chemically - calcium carbonate, with the concrete being cross-linked with water

Methodology
***8226;Apply 1:1 ratio water with distilled White Vinegar solution, and using a spray bottle, spray that mixture on the spots and let them "soak." Then rinse with water and repeat as necessary.
***8226;If the ambient temperature water/vinegar mix does not work, warm (100-120 degrees) 100% distilled White Vinegar, saturate a clean kitchen sponge with pure vinegar and hold the sponge over the concrete spots for a 'few' minutes.
***8226;If the above do not remove them try equal parts distilled water, isopropyl alcohol and distilled white vinegar. The acid in the vinegar will help etch and dissolve the concrete.
***8226;Rinse the area thoroughly with water after the vinegar and then reapply wax or sealant to that area.

To remove concrete that has set use the A B C Decontamination / Neutralization system
(http:// www.autoint.com) a safe alkaline wash and neutralizing system the ABC wash apparently loosens the bond with the clear coat, after using the wash simply lift off any concrete with a plastic razor, for smaller specks use detailers clay, any subsequent etching will require an abrasive to level the paint surface, and then reapply wax or sealant to that area.