PDA

View Full Version : What to do on a new car?

lilskel
09-01-2006, 09:56 PM
If the factory doesn't wax after painting which I don't believe they do, well actually if the ED delivery center doesn't wax the cars, then mine has never been waxed. It was filthy at redelivery in the US.

I know it needs a good caranuba wax but should it receive any polish or glaze first?

picus
09-01-2006, 10:32 PM
Clay first; polish if you have marring, then seal or wax. Clay is the most important step on a newly received car, imo.

lilskel
09-02-2006, 10:32 AM
What will the clay remove? The paint looks pretty clean to me

schley
09-02-2006, 10:49 AM

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/inf-clay.html

As with every step of detailing there is a certain protocol to execution. Whatever happened to the days of helping your dad wash the cars after church on sunday, using a sponge and soapy water, clean the whitewalls with a brush, then dry with a chaimos and use some blue coral wax every week?

My dad has never even heard of clay for a car so don't feel like you are in the minority.

icemanjs4
09-05-2006, 04:47 PM
If the factory doesn't wax after painting which I don't believe they do, well actually if the ED delivery center doesn't wax the cars, then mine has never been waxed. It was filthy at redelivery in the US.

I know it needs a good caranuba wax but should it receive any polish or glaze first?

Geez Lilskel.... Do you think that when you come to a detailing forum that noone has asked or answered these questions before?!?!?!?! READ THE FORUM. THE ANSWERS ARE THERE. THERE IN HERE. GO READ> STOP ASKING REDUNDANT QUESTIONS.

I'm sorry I'm not trying to be mean. but every week someone posts "What should I do to my car to keep it shiny?", etc. This is a DETAILING FORUM. That's what people talk about. go read what's there before you ask. That's all.

UGGGH

picus
09-05-2006, 05:31 PM

Clay removes embedded particles from the surface of the clear coat; it basically hydroplanes along the surface abrading anything above the existing clear coat layer away. In your specific application that means rail dust; cars are shipped via rails, and they do accumulate rail dust. As part of my new car prep the most important exterior service I offer is claying and chemical cleaning.

When you're done claying only polish if you have specific marring you intend to remove, otherwise re-wash and seal or wax the car.

dboy11
09-06-2006, 07:31 AM

Here is another place to read about detailing and the likes of that.

http://www.detailcity.org

TOGWT
09-07-2006, 07:12 AM

By not applying some sort of paint protection soon after purchase the customer is actually damaging the paint surface instead of helping it. Salesmen that advise a customer not to wax a car for 6-12 months are relying on old paint methods and are misinformed about the latest paint technology. The new paints are catalyzed (a chemical reaction cures the paint) lacquers and enamels needed time for the solvents to release, with modern water based paints this is no necessary.

This is a huge problem in dealerships because customers tend to take the advice offered by a salesman who usually knows nothing about paint, rather than a trained paint professional. This goes a long way to understand why fairly new vehicles paint surfaces are in such bad shape even after a relatively short period of time.

Cosmoline is no longer used as it is not environmentally sound; apart from that it is much harder to remove than the shipping/storage wax modern car manufacturer***8217;s use. A large percentage of new vehicles, both domestic and imports have either a shipping/storage wax applied (a blend of Paraffin and synthetic wax, but mostly paraffin) these coatings are applied within one to three hours after the vehicle is assembled, and after the painting process is complete, this protective sealant coating should remain for up to 90 - 120 days maximum before removal; otherwise they become very difficult to remove (AutoBody Prep - http://www.autoint.com/) Cars from the USA, EU and many European builds, use the plastic transit film, however vehicles from Brazil, some Asian models, still use shipping wax.

dboy11
09-07-2006, 07:17 AM
By not applying some sort of paint protection soon after purchase the customer is actually damaging the paint surface instead of helping it. Salesmen that advise a customer not to wax a car for 6-12 months are relying on old paint methods and are misinformed about the latest paint technology. The new paints are catalyzed (a chemical reaction cures the paint) lacquers and enamels needed time for the solvents to release, with modern water based paints this is no necessary.

This is a huge problem in dealerships because customers tend to take the advice offered by a salesman who usually knows nothing about paint, rather than a trained paint professional. This goes a long way to understand why fairly new vehicles paint surfaces are in such bad shape even after a relatively short period of time.

Cosmoline is no longer used as it is not environmentally sound; apart from that it is much harder to remove than the shipping/storage wax modern car manufacturer's use. A large percentage of new vehicles, both domestic and imports have either a shipping/storage wax applied (a blend of Paraffin and synthetic wax, but mostly paraffin) these coatings are applied within one to three hours after the vehicle is assembled, and after the painting process is complete, this protective sealant coating should remain for up to 90 - 120 days maximum before removal; otherwise they become very difficult to remove (AutoBody Prep - http://www.autopoint.com) Cars from the USA, EU and many European builds, use the plastic transit film, however vehicles from Brazil, some Asian models, still use shipping wax.

This is great information but that link that you provided takes you to a Vietnamese web site

TOGWT
09-07-2006, 08:32 AM
OK we'll try it in English-http://www.autoint.com/