PDA

View Full Version : First time claying!

lilskel
09-08-2006, 09:18 PM
Not bad!

Got Mothers clay at Autozone.

Side note: I think I am slowly turning into one of you Autopia guys

Hand washed the car as usual then pulled into the garage still wet. Used almost a whole bottle of Mothers quick detailer for my X3, nice smell it reminds me of something and I'm sure others have noticed it.

With the remaining water mixed with the quick detailer the clay bar seemed to slide pretty well. It was yellow and my car only has 2000 miles on it so I didn't notice it pick up much. It seemed like the parts that were clayed were smoother but that could be due to the quick detailer.

Note: Claying, at least for me, was an extremely wet process. I assume this is good, but the car definately needs to be quickly washed again after with soap as I did rinse it off and it has a lot of residue from either the clay or the quick detailer. I can see how the clay could go flying out of your hand and land on the floor, so hold onto it.

Re-folded it often and went over the windows when I was done...I usually use #0000 steel wool on the windows and I'm not sure which does a better job yet.

Overall, I felt more professional after claying the car and will definately sleep better tonight and every night knowing that my car is probably the only clayed car on my street :fruit: :neener:

Rsavory
09-09-2006, 06:07 AM
Sounds like you're hooked. Good job!

dboy11
09-09-2006, 08:03 AM
Sounds great now a good polish to bring back luster and wax on top and Dude you will have the best car on the block

mimic
09-09-2006, 09:38 AM
I clayed my car for the first time a last month. Turned out absolutely amazing. My car had a lot of crap on it. It s a black 97 528, and was suffering from a dull finish (even after wax) and had quite a few micro scratches all over the body. Washed the car with Dawn, then I used the clay to clean the paint with some Meguiars quick detail spray. Then used some polishing compound with a random orbital buffer, then washed the car again with Dawn. I dried it off with a chamois and then let it sit in the sun for 1 hour to bake off any moisture I might have missed. Afterwards I waxed it with some Meguiars TechWax. This stuff is amazing. When I was done it looked spotless, and the car was shinnier and the paint richer than it ever has been.

Desertnate
09-09-2006, 11:14 AM
Glad to hear it was a success. My feelings are you can never put down enough QD or other lubricant when claying, so if you used the whole bottle...no big deal. :thumbup:

Since your car is new, i doubt the clay would bring up much. From here on out, I would do it about every 4 to six monts depending on the climate where you live. The next time you clay your car, you will see more crud in the clay. I use McGuires clay, which is white, and the dirt it picks up is pretty evident.

As others and myself have said, go get a good polish before you wax, and your baby will shine. You're well on your way:thumbup:

lilskel
09-09-2006, 11:31 AM
So i just rewashed the clay residue off today..ran a plastic bag over the paint and I could definately feel something like dust on the paint after it was washed, clayed, washed again and dried.. :( I didn't test it before claying so I'm not sure if it did anything at all..maybe I did it too fast or didn't put enough pressure on the clay..I basically just had a soaking wet and lubed up car and ran the wet clay all over it re-folding it every minute or so. I have Nu-Finish in the garage, other than that I have Mothers Cleaner wax or Zymol Cleaner wax..never used a PC before, actually never waxed a whole car by hand before so this might be interesting/frustrating

Desertnate
09-09-2006, 11:43 AM
The stuff you feel may just be spots you missed. You don't want to apply much pressure to the clay, just slide it back and forth across the area untill the clay slides easily with no resistance. Don't worry too much, you'll get better at it with time.

What happened to the Blitz? I'd use that...but I'm impartial since I have a can in my garage. :D If not, I'd just use one of the other two waxes and stay away from the Nu-Finish

When waxing, only do one panel at a time. Wax it...then after it hazes buff it right off...don't use too much and don't let it sit for too long. Letting it sit will make it MUCH harder to buff off.

lilskel
09-09-2006, 02:20 PM
The clay slid very easily, no problem at all, so I'm not sure...anyways the car looks as good as any mobile detailer could get it.

Overall, MUCH easier using the PC than hand waxing. I was pretty intimidated by the PC but once you get it onto the car it's much better than when you just test it out holding it.. I used number 2 and 3, maybe not enough but it was my first time.

The Blitz is pretty old and had an applicator pad in it for 5 years that pretty much disintegrated..I decided not to use it because of that and because the Zymol cleaner wax was easier to put onto the PC pad.

I did one panel at a time...half the hood then buffed it by hand, the other half...fenders, then did the one side then buff then the other side...ended with the roof and trunk..

Didn't think I would be saying this but it was much easier to buff by hand than by using a microfiber bonnet on the PC. It seemed to me like I had waaaay too little wax on the car, but probably any time I have ever attempted waxing a car before by hand I had WAAAAY too much wax on. I think the PC helped me spread it out more and thinner

On some panels I sprayed on some Eagle One Nanowax before buffing, and on others I buffed then did a layer of spray Nanowax...is this ok?

It wasn't very hard work, it didn't seem like it took forever but the actual wax took probably 2 hours..definately easier than doing it by hand, but I didn't mind actually

Desertnate
09-09-2006, 02:33 PM
The clay slid very easily, no problem at all, so I'm not sure...anyways the car looks as good as any mobile detailer could get it.

On some panels I sprayed on some Eagle One Nanowax before buffing, and on others I buffed then did a layer of spray Nanowax...is this ok?

It wasn't very hard work, it didn't seem like it took forever but the actual wax took probably 2 hours..definately easier than doing it by hand, but I didn't mind actually

Glad to hear that it went well.

What was the purpose of the Nanowax? When you used the Zymol you were already applying a coating of wax. Cleaner wax is supposed to serve the same role as the clay and a VERY mild polish all in one.

I have never found detailing to seem as long as it really took to do the work. I have always found it to be very thereputic.