PDA

View Full Version : Trim going grey

mimic
09-10-2006, 10:46 AM
Hey guys,

I have a 97 528i black paint with black shadowline trim. I've noticed lately that its going grey though. I think it has something to do with possibly getting some wax on it, but its starting to look ugly.

Any suggestions for cleaning this trim and making it black again?
I tried some Mothers Back to Black but it didn't have that great of an effect.

Sirhcrod
09-10-2006, 11:42 AM
I bought this tire oil stuff called 'Seriously Wet' and it looks great on tires. I was having the same issues and I tried the oil on my door handles and it looked a lot better. Obviously it's not a permanent fix but it did make it look better.

mimic
09-10-2006, 01:22 PM
I bought this tire oil stuff called 'Seriously Wet' and it looks great on tires. I was having the same issues and I tried the oil on my door handles and it looked a lot better. Obviously it's not a permanent fix but it did make it look better.
Thanks for the suggestion, but I think that putting more crap on top of whats already on there isn't going to fix it, that and everytime I rub up against the trim there is a chance that it may come off on my clothing or skin. It appears to me that its wax residue, but because the trim is textured slightly I can't seem to get it off easily.

picus
09-10-2006, 01:43 PM
Try regular old rubbing alcohol mixed 50/50 with water. It's what I use to wipe off polish residue and clean trim before dressing. When you're done I would suggest a restorative trim product rather than a dressing; this will re-hydrate the trim. Poorboys Trim Restorer is a good, cheap option available online.

hockeynut
09-10-2006, 02:52 PM
If its wax residue, try peanut butter. Seriously.

dboy11
09-11-2006, 08:27 AM
Two things will take the wax from your trim...creamy peanut butter with a tooth brush will and Poorboys World Trim Restore...the later is what I use on my cars and it takes the wax out and leaves the trim with a nice gloss and brings back the color..use this with a tooth brush so you can get into the grains of the trim...then buff with a soft towel

Here is the link

http://www.poorboysworld.com

TOGWT
09-11-2006, 12:04 PM
Trim going grey! mines almost completly grey ;-)

Vinyl Trim Renovation:
To renovate and to accomplish long lasting repairs on UVR faded, scuffed, or scratched black trim, moulding, mirror covers, door handles, etc. without replacement or repainting with this kit from Automotive International

A fast and easy to use system that is long lasting and can be applied without the use of specialized tools, this product is not a dressing that will wash off after a short period but rather is an actual dye that can last up to 12 months. It comes with a clear coat product also to give it more protection and more shine.

Exterior Trim Renovation (ETR) a three-product system that comprises-
1.Surface Prep
2.Colour Guard, Toner
3.UVR Guard
Each system comes in an 8 oz. container; the kit also includes mixing sticks, mixing cups for the production of grey tones, latex gloves, instructions for use of the products and a handy carrying case.
Automotive International ETR II Kit - (htpp://www.autoint.com)

Alternative product- GR -40 Trim & Molding Restoration Kit - http://www.topoftheline.com

tbiggs27
09-11-2006, 12:25 PM
I used forever black on my trim, and it worked like a dream. It comes with a "trim wash" and then a paint applicator that actually repaints the trim black. It looked 100 times better for only 20 bucks or so! www.bavauto.com Check it out!

Travis

kc chief
09-14-2006, 12:23 PM
Mothers back to black is one of the greatest products ever made. Try it, it's easy, and cheap.

jvr826
09-14-2006, 01:58 PM
Mothers back to black is one of the greatest products ever made. Try it, it's easy, and cheap.

I've used this to restore black plastic saddle bags on a motorcycle that were grey and faded from the sun. Excellent results.

BBBMW
09-14-2006, 02:01 PM
Grecian Formula:dunno: Takes the gray right out:rofl:

Elvis530i
09-14-2006, 09:56 PM
None of my trim is close to faded, but I've gotten great results with Meguiar's #40 vinyl and rubber cleaner for getting residue off.