PDA

View Full Version : Wax supposed to be thin layer?

lilskel
09-10-2006, 04:52 PM
Every time I have tried waxing by hand I got very frustrated when removing it having to basically put all my weight on the cloth when removing the wax..it was pretty thick and crusty and very dusty.

After using the PC for the first time I have realized I used to put WAAAY to much wax on. Removing the wax by hand was almost efortless.

So my question is, is wax supposed to be a very thin layer that you can barely see haze (white car so makes it harder anyway), or thick enough that you can see all the little lines in the wax where you applied it and it is hard work to remove?

picus
09-10-2006, 04:55 PM
The thinner the better; that is almost universally true with wax. In fact, in all my years I have never dealt with a wax where thinner wasn't better.

Desertnate
09-10-2006, 06:45 PM
Yep, thinner is better. My rule of thumb is to see just a thin hazy layer.

Also, don't let it sit too long. The longer it sits the harder it will be to remove.

lilskel
09-10-2006, 08:57 PM
Good...this actually made my waxing experience something that I don't think I will mind doing again.

Is it correct to apply with the PC in front-back motions, then remove with microfiber by hand in circular motions? I used one microfiber for the whole car, should I be using a fresher towel more often than one per car? I did follow up and still do about every 5 minutes running to the garage with an even softer microfiber looking for smudges under the lights

I really hope this doesn't come off after one wash. The car is very smooth and silky and slick right now..after I wash it can I expect the same feeling after the wash without doing anything else or will it just be clean and shiny but catch my hands when I drag them across it?

Desertnate
09-10-2006, 09:15 PM
Good...this actually made my waxing experience something that I don't think I will mind doing again.

Is it correct to apply with the PC in front-back motions, then remove with microfiber by hand in circular motions? I used one microfiber for the whole car, should I be using a fresher towel more often than one per car? I did follow up and still do about every 5 minutes running to the garage with an even softer microfiber looking for smudges under the lights

I really hope this doesn't come off after one wash. The car is very smooth and silky and slick right now..after I wash it can I expect the same feeling after the wash without doing anything else or will it just be clean and shiny but catch my hands when I drag them across it?

I can't really comment on the correct motion with the PC. I have used a buffer only a few times and I made the same motions with pretty good success. Most of the time I do the job by hand. When I used wax, I would judge the towel usage by how clean the area was touching the car. The wax will build up, so just keep using a clean section of towel each time you do a new panel. If there is no more clean space on either side...get a clean one.

The wax should last for a few months as long as you use a good car shampoo and don't make the mixture in your wash water too strong. I would also put on a couple more layers of wax. It will increase the shine and the protection of your paint. Your paint should feel really smooth each time you wash it for quite a while.

lilskel
09-10-2006, 10:16 PM
I am tempted to wax it again now before I take it out of the garage..or should I just wax it each time I wash it for the next few times?

The paint always feels smooth, it's just I dont like when you touch a dry car that your fingers grab on the paint... my brother just got his car waxed by a mobile detailer, it rained the next day and now it feels like it has never been waxed!! Is this a case of spray wax or was and dry spray? Every time I wash I do however use one of these products so I might not ever notice if my "real" wax is gone or not

mimic
09-10-2006, 11:04 PM
I wash my car every weekend. Usually on Sunday afternoon (nothing better to do). Every other wash I wax again. But thats just me. And I have a black car, more noticable when there is no wax on it.

picus
09-11-2006, 07:20 AM
How long the wax lasts will depend on the wax, your environment and driving habits, and how often you wash the car. Not many waxes will come off after one wash unless you're using way too much soap, or a concentrated detergent.

LousyShot
09-11-2006, 12:59 PM
Another solution is Zaino. Goes on pretty easy, comes off pretty easy. Also has a great shine and can last several months. Not a shameless plug, but I am very happy with the results I get from Z-5, Z-2, and a follow up with Z-6. As soon as I figure out how to upload large pictures, I can post the results (average file size is 2.5 Meg).

Boxboss
09-13-2006, 08:41 PM
Is it correct to apply with the PC in front-back motions, then remove with microfiber by hand in circular motions? My method is the reverse. I apply Pinnacle Souveran (on the blue 7er) by hand with a MF applicator and remove with the PC. Similar process with the silver e64, except I use Zaino - apply with terry applicator and remove with PC. BTW, I use MF bonnets over lambswool to remove.

laidback
09-14-2006, 01:58 AM
My method is the reverse. I apply Pinnacle Souveran (on the blue 7er) by hand with a MF applicator and remove with the PC. Similar process with the silver e64, except I use Zaino - apply with terry applicator and remove with PC. BTW, I use MF bonnets over lambswool to remove.

quick Q have you tried using pinnacle souveran and zaino combined?

DRWWE
09-14-2006, 09:48 AM

The PC can be used in different directions. I go side to side then at angles and finish with front to back. By then I usually have a very fine haze which buffs off easily. Buffing with microfiber should be (as I have read several places) front to back along the lines of the car to avoid swirls. That technique has worked well for me. I have several microfiber towels for buffing and use them folded and keep switching sides with each panel on the car so I am always using a new part of the towel to buff.

:thumbup:

Boxboss
09-14-2006, 08:46 PM
quick Q have you tried using pinnacle souveran and zaino combined?No, I haven't. But, I do use AIO under both. I feel the carnauba gives a much better depth of shine on dark colors (Toldeo Blue 7er) and the Zaino is better on light (Mineral Silver 6er.)

The primary reason I haven't combined Souveran and Zaino is the problem of subsequent layers. If I put wax over Zaino, the next layer (refresher) of Zaino a few months down the road will have difficulty bonding. Zaino is acrylic, a water based polymer, and carnauba is a wax, essentially an oil based product. The two don't want to mix.

If I wanted to use clay and/or AIO to remove the wax AND Zaino in prep for more Zaino, it could be done. I have been tempted to put Souveran over the Zaino many times, but my better judgement says no. I have a 6er meet coming up in October and I just might do it - I'm sure it would look awesome. Plus, winter's coming and next spring's detail would deal with those issues.

Elvis530i
09-14-2006, 09:53 PM
Also, don't let it sit too long. The longer it sits the harder it will be to remove.

Interesting. I've found just the opposite. If I don't give it a good while to dry completely, it gets all smeared and streaked rather than buffing right off.