PDA

View Full Version : Liquid vs Paste Wax

lilskel
09-11-2006, 04:04 PM
I waxed my car for the first time Saturday with Zymol Liquid Cleaner wax using a PC and then I did it again today with the PC using One Grand Blitz Paste Wax. The liquid wax was MUCH easier to put on as it didn't fly off the PC and land on the floor, and it was MUCH easier to remove.

Is this how all liquid vs paste are? What's the benefit to paste if it's supposed to be better than liquid? Any good liquid non cleaner waxes out there?

lilskel
09-11-2006, 04:48 PM
Let me add something...

My One Grand Blitz "paste" wax is in a can so I assume it is a paste. However compared to other paste waxes I have seen at the store, the OG Blitz is more like a brick of hard wax...I had to heat it up considerably (sitting it on top of the grill) in order to thin it out and it was still chunky...is this just a bad paste wax or should I stick with liquid?

FalconGuy
09-11-2006, 10:27 PM
your putting too much on, its an above avg product, use thin coats and keep it off black trim. you should bareley see it, its not a slick wax, more shine than slickness

See autotopia.org for a lot of info on blitz, that tin will oulast your car, great winter wax

picus
09-12-2006, 07:45 AM
You've only tried two waxes. Every wax, regardless of liquid or paste, is different. A couple notes:

1) Liquid waxes tend to have less actual carnauba than paste - that's why the paste is harder, more carnauba and less solvents.

2) Liquids are easier to remove in general because they have more solvents, so when the solvents burn off there is less hard wax residue to buff off.

3) Neither lasts longer, it depends on the actual wax. TYPICALLY pastes lasts longer. Megs 16, Blitz, Collinite 476s, all pastes.

4) Visually, it again depends on the wax. TYPICALLY paste waxes are prefered in looks.

5) Paste wax tubs tend to last longer. You use much less product in the actual application process (normally).

I don't personally prefer either. I use the right wax for the job. Here are some waxes you might like off the top of my head:

Paste:

Poorboys Nattys Blue
Pinnacle Souveran
Meguiars #16
P21S/S100
Trade Secret Carnauba

Liquids:

Clearkote Carnauba
Meguiars #26
Pinnacle Liquid Souveran

Sprays:

Optimum Car Wax

And of course that's without even mentioning sealants. :)

Cheers.

Desertnate
09-12-2006, 11:49 AM
You might want to check to see if your can of Blitz is sealing properly.

I have had my can for 5 years now, and it is far from a hard brick of wax. On a couple of occasions mine has cracked like an old can of shoe polish, but after a few minutes of rubbing a rag around on the wax, it softened up and blended in again.

Blitz is good stuff. A couple coats will last 3~4 months in even the harshest conditions and will look great. Your talking about it has made me consider digging it out and using it again.

lilskel
09-12-2006, 03:40 PM
Ok well the wax was definately hard..it was greasy but not creamy at all..dried out?

Desertnate
09-12-2006, 04:15 PM
Ok well the wax was definately hard..it was greasy but not creamy at all..dried out?

Let me back up...

A good can of paste wax, in this case Blitz, reminds me very much of a can of Kiwi Shoe Polish...only *slightly* softer. It will be a solid mass in the can. It will not flow in the can or be the consistancy of something like Crisco or Lard. You won't be able to push your finger into the material.

If the stuff is dried out, the material in the can will crack, crumble, and feel dry to the touch. The nice thing is, like shoe polish, you can warm it up (in the sun) and/or rub it with a rag in a circular motion and it will come back to its normal state.

Helpful?

lilskel
09-12-2006, 05:10 PM
Yes it was a little cracked and definately crumbled into little chunks, making it hard to apply with the PC..also was harder to remove than liquid.

It also seemed like the paste made way more of a mess in the cracks and trim than the liquid did.

Still waiting to see how the wter beads, how the car washes up with wax on it, how it holds up, etc..if I don't like this stuff or putting it on once a month looks like I might head over to the Klasse camp

Desertnate
09-12-2006, 07:28 PM
I can tell you that Klasse is MUCH easier to apply and lasts longer. The difference is the type of shine. A wax will give a much deeper shine than Klasse will. Of course you can put the Klasse down and then put wax of the top like some do here. I loved the waxed look, but with a family I didn't that the time to keep up a good wax job. Also, our cars are light colored, so I can get great results with Klasse alone. :D

The ease of use and longevity was what brought me to Klasse. Blitz was easy and durable for a wax, but not quite what I needed. The winters I lived through always seemed to last just bit longer than the wax, so I'd be out freezing the boogers in my nose (and other things) trying to re-wax my car in late winter, or suffering the same problem in late fall so it would last until spring. I would also spend a lot of time with some penut butter and a tooth brush trying to get the wax out of the black trim :thumbdwn:

With Klasse, I have one long detail day twice a year vs three or four with wax, and I no longer have to deal with cleaning off the trip. With Klasse, you just go right over the trim with no worries...it's clear. :thumbup: