View Full Version : 2003 BMW X5: "Best-looking" and "Most Fun-to-drive"

JPinTO
12-02-2002, 07:44 PM
http://car.kak.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=news&file=article&sid=611

http://car.kak.net/bilder/bmw/bmw_x5-01s.jpg

ALEX325i
12-03-2002, 11:55 AM
"Best-looking" and "Most Fun-to-drive"

No question about it... If the 4.6is only came with a manual tranny...

JPinTO
12-03-2002, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by ALEX325i
"Best-looking" and "Most Fun-to-drive"

No question about it... If the 4.6is only came with a manual tranny...

I read an article on Bimmer a few years back where they tested the 3.0 5-spd and said it was balky with a rubbery clutch (hmmm... must be the E46's clutch) and no fun to drive. They preferred the automatic.

Alex Baumann
12-03-2002, 01:30 PM
JP, I've read that X5 will be getting a new styled front bumper. It was in the same news along with the coupe facelift.

ALEX325i
12-04-2002, 06:13 AM
Originally posted by JPinTO
I read an article on Bimmer a few years back where they tested the 3.0 5-spd and said it was balky with a rubbery clutch (hmmm... must be the E46's clutch) and no fun to drive. They preferred the automatic.

I have to question the car authority who tested it. I'd never prefer a slushie over a manual no matter how rubbery the clutch might be... I also don't think any of my former E46's had rubbery clutches...

Anyway, here's how I look at it... SUV's are no fun to drive (are they even intended to be?). Period. Now, from them all, the X5 has got to be the most fun to drive... Not to mention that it's the only one that actually offers a manual tranny...

I know the 4.6is is not supposed to be the ///M version of the X5's, but I think BMW could have offered a 6-sp manual tranny with it... Of course, I'm not considering production/final costs when I say that...

KHADAFI
12-04-2002, 06:37 AM
Hey Im really happy with my 4.4i I think it is the best car I've driven. I wish I had the 4.6 regarless of stick or auto tranny.

I know this has nothing to do with this topic but I've seen a couple of X5's with halo lights. Does anybody here know how much they are running for and where are they available?

TGD
12-04-2002, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by ALEX325i
I know the 4.6is is not supposed to be the ///M version of the X5's, but I think BMW could have offered a 6-sp manual tranny with it...

What's this crave with 6-sp? The 4.6 has so much torque that it doesn't need more than 4-sp.

Can it start on 2nd?
Can it accelarate from 1st to 3rd to 5th?
I bet it can with ease!

ALEX325i
12-05-2002, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by TGD
What's this crave with 6-sp? The 4.6 has so much torque that it doesn't need more than 4-sp.

I'm not "craving" for a 6-sp, but for a manual tranny rather. The 6-sp crossed my mind because it is available in the 540i Sport... Come to think of it, I'm not craving for either. Don't see myself driving an SUV, SAV, SXV, etc...

Can it start on 2nd?
Can it accelarate from 1st to 3rd to 5th?
I bet it can with ease!

Uh... Ok...