PDA

View Full Version : Allright you Zaino geeks: LISTEN UP

tbiggs27
09-25-2006, 08:14 PM
I just thought I'd do that to get your attention.

Two weeks ago, I clayed, P21S deep paint cleansed, and applied 2 layers of Zaino Z-2 to my black e46. On Saturday, A car splashed dirty water on my hood that I didn't clean off until today (Monday) via Shell auto wash. I know, bad bad. Not all the waterspots on the hood came off, and I noticed that when I spray on Meguiar's QuickDetailer, a haze is left. It's almost like I can 'push around' the finish on the car (like, the polish). If I apply pressure, there is streaking and hazing. Did I over-zaino or something? What do I need to do? Can I just buff out the rest with a lot of elbow grease? There are 3 or 4 water spots still on the hood as well. Thanks guys! Please help me oh great detailing gurus...

tbiggs27
09-26-2006, 05:54 AM
can I get some love?

dboy11
09-26-2006, 07:34 AM

Two weeks ago, I clayed, P21S deep paint cleansed, and applied 2 layers of Zaino Z-2 to my black e46. On Saturday, A car splashed dirty water on my hood that I didn't clean off until today (Monday) via Shell auto wash. I know, bad bad. Not all the waterspots on the hood came off, and I noticed that when I spray on Meguiar's QuickDetailer, a haze is left. It's almost like I can 'push around' the finish on the car (like, the polish). If I apply pressure, there is streaking and hazing. Did I over-zaino or something? What do I need to do? Can I just buff out the rest with a lot of elbow grease? There are 3 or 4 water spots still on the hood as well. Thanks guys! Please help me oh great detailing gurus...

Wash and clay the hood area again then use your P21S to clean and reapply your Zaino...one thing about Zaino you can't really over apply it...its a layer-able product...that should do it

sak
09-26-2006, 08:07 AM
been happy with zaino
but drove my car first time in rain after zaino and , it left water spots , once i washed the car with Z7 .
i had to apply Z6 quick detailer to get rid of the water spots , but i dont know why water spots from rain remained even after car wash ....
any comments?

JREIT
09-26-2006, 08:11 AM

I use Meguiars quick detailer all of the time on my zaino'd black e46 and never have the streaking. It sounds like your zaino never cured or more likely it didnt adhere to the finish.
Did you dawn wash before doing P21s and did you dawn after the P21s and prior to the application of the Zaino?

Prior to re-claying, and doing the rest of the process, Email Sal Zaino at the Zaino Store. He will have the answer.

dboy11
09-26-2006, 08:13 AM
been happy with zaino
but drove my car first time in rain after zaino and , it left water spots , once i washed the car with Z7 .
i had to apply Z6 quick detailer to get rid of the water spots , but i dont know why water spots from rain remained even after car wash ....
any comments?

How long was it before you drove in the rain after appling the Zaino?...Cure time comes to mind for me..also Zaino is a high polymer based product and that takes time to cure...and can also leave water spots during that time

tbiggs27
09-26-2006, 09:12 AM
I did not wash with dawn....I am going to do this today:

Dawn wash
clay bar
P21S
Dawn wash
Zaino

Sound good?

Also, how long will it take to cure? It is going to rain tonight, but it's also the last sunny day we'll have for a while. Any thoughts?

Travis

dboy11
09-26-2006, 09:15 AM

Dawn wash
clay bar
P21S
Dawn wash
Zaino

Sound good?

Also, how long will it take to cure? It is going to rain tonight, but it's also the last sunny day we'll have for a while. Any thoughts?

Travis

You can Dawn wash the car if you like but there is no need to wash again after the P21S treatment...go straight to Zaino...cure time is 24 hours in most cases the difference is the temp's...I'm sure that one day will do it

sak
09-26-2006, 10:05 AM
How long was it before you drove in the rain after appling the Zaino?...Cure time comes to mind for me..also Zaino is a high polymer based product and that takes time to cure...and can also leave water spots during that time

it was more than a month that i drove in rain after zainoing, and it was my 3rd day after the rain when i washed the car.

dboy11
09-26-2006, 10:09 AM
it was more than a month that i drove in rain after zainoing, and it was my 3rd day after the rain when i washed the car.

What part of the country / world are you in? wondering about something in the rain...or something that was on the road that got on the car with and then the rain spotted it? not to sure...you might also write to Sal at Zaino and see what he says...I rally don't have allot of practice with his line so the chances are it could be about anything at this point

Boxboss
09-26-2006, 07:09 PM
Did you use ZFX cure accelerator or Z-1 Polish Lok as a base coat? One of the two must be used to facilitate cure process.

tbiggs27
09-26-2006, 07:30 PM
Darn...I did not use the ZFX or Z-1. How big of a deal are we talking here?

beauport
09-27-2006, 08:54 AM
Darn...I did not use the ZFX or Z-1. How big of a deal are we talking here?

A pretty big deal as that is what makes the Z2 adhere to the paint. The ZFX does it faster than Z1 and allows subsequent coats of Z2 to be applied more quickly after the previous coat. If you originally used Z2 without the ZFX or Z1 the Z2 may not have really dried properly on the paint.

sak
09-27-2006, 09:59 AM
What part of the country / world are you in? wondering about something in the rain...or something that was on the road that got on the car with and then the rain spotted it? not to sure...you might also write to Sal at Zaino and see what he says...I rally don't have allot of practice with his line so the chances are it could be about anything at this point

i did use ZFX , and i live in southern maryland ,
but i wud write to sal zaino and check wut he says...
wud update ..

JREIT
09-27-2006, 06:29 PM

Dawn wash
clay bar
P21S
Dawn wash
Zaino

Sound good?

Travis

No need to clay again. Claying takes off all of the atmospheric particulates on the finish-which you have already done. Dawn wash and P21s again(P21s again isnt really necessary but your call). To be safe, I would still dawn wash after the P21s.

Make sure you mix 5 drops of the ZFX accelerator (tiny blue bottle) with each oz. of Z-5 and z-2. This should be enough for two coats of each. With ZFX, you need to only wait 30 minutes between coats (remember super light application to the point where you can barely see it). One coat z-5 followed by one coat z-2 followed by one coat z-5 and one coat z-2. I live in Chicago and this works perfectly. Make ss.ure it is at least 50 degrees.
I would wait until this Sunday when it is supposed to dry up and the temps will be in the 60s.

Good luck

jbcritch
10-06-2006, 05:07 AM
I am also a zaino guy...but for real tough water spots I use white vinegar on a cloth and simply wipe the spots away. Water spots are no more than minerals left behind after the water evaporates. White vinegar disolves minerals - which is why people use white vinegar to clean their coffee pots every so often. Gets rid of that white haze (minerals) left behind after baking water - just like water does on your car's surface on a hot day...:)

picus
10-06-2006, 06:26 AM
You over zaino'ed for not using ZFX. Had you used one coat of Z2 you would have been fine, but adding a second coat on top of an un-cured coat = streaking. Your best bet is to use alcohol/water mix to strip it all, then re-zaino, one coat without ZFX. If you want a second coat wait 24 hours.

FWIW, dawn is normally ok but it won't strip Zaino, so use the paint cleaner or alcohol/water.

silverstar
10-07-2006, 12:02 PM
Be careful using Dawn too frequently. It can be too harsh on clear coat paints if ued too often. Even Sal Zaino will tell you that. As for all the Zaino steps, yes you have to watch that you do everything (the right Z products order) just as prescribed.

I used to use Zaino and liked it but just don't have that much time to keep re-detaining my car. I switched to Meguiar's NXT. Do my car in 1/3 the time and get about the same results and with far less effort. Gives me more time to drive and ENJOY my car.