PDA

View Full Version : Black trim treatment

Dr. Phil
01-23-2002, 06:12 AM
Sorry if answered before............:dunno:

I was wondering what you use to treat the black trim pieces on the bumpers, side guard, aroung mirrors, etc. ?

I have One Grand treatment and Vinylex, but thought Vinylex would wear to easily. Historically (preBMW days:cry: ) I would just wash with rest of car and not treat. But after purchase and insight from Rip, Al, and all you other expert car care owners I have seen the light and now have a better understanding of proper care:thumb: . For that I thank you:D , but my wife does not (she doesn't quite get it yet:confused: ).

TIA for any advice.

Guest84
01-23-2002, 06:18 AM
I don't have much (if any) black trim since its a coupe. Our SUV I use Griots Vinyl dressing, but it doesn't hold up very long, 2 weeks max. I'd also be interested in any answers out there...

Thks for the compliment, but I am by no means an expert! I just assemble the best advice from others given to me from various sources, try that advice out, and if it works, I post about it!

Of course, all my other vehicles were white, so car finish products were never ranked very high in priority with me until I got a black car! :D

Dr. Phil
01-23-2002, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by Ripsnort
Of course, all my other vehicles were white, so car finish products were never ranked very high in priority with me until I got a black car! :D
Coming from a white Honda I know exactly what you mean. But I wasn't brave enough to go dark with the xiT. The Grey Green so far:tsk: has been fairly easy to keep clean.

sjs
01-23-2002, 08:40 PM
If you can find it turtle wax "black chrome" try kmart

Chipster
01-25-2002, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Ripsnort
...Of course, all my other vehicles were white, so car finish products were never ranked very high in priority with me until I got a black car! :D

The only thing better than a white car is a company car! I used to give mine the annual cleaning with a broom and a stick....:lmao:

jdeday
05-09-2005, 02:15 PM
Other than Kmart, where could I find "Turtle Wax Black Chrome"?

tigerfan
05-09-2005, 03:14 PM
Mothers makes a product clled back to black. great for all colors of trim not just black. will bring graying black back to original color also will remove wax that has gotten on the trim. Then follow up with mothers protectant on a regular basis and you shouldn't have any trouble.

Rob325_in_AZ
05-09-2005, 03:19 PM
Don't know if there are any pitfalls to this but I just use quick detail spray and cotton towel. I used to use vinyl/rubber protector products, but as I now live down a half mile dirt road, that stuff just attracts too much dust. :dunno:

F1Crazy
05-09-2005, 03:28 PM
Einszett Tiefenpfleger is what you need, truly long lasting stuff. I've tried new Michelin tire treatment this past weekend, we'll see how long it'll last (it says on the bottle that it's safe to use on dashboard and trim).

Jon Shafer
05-09-2005, 03:38 PM
I just tried this stuffhttp://www.motoparts.ch/Daten/verschleissteile/Fluessiges/Silkolene/Bilder/Silkolene/ProPrep.gifthat I originally bought for my YZ250 Yamaha Motocrosser. Seems to work well on the black trim..