PDA

View Full Version : Oil change?

KHADAFI
12-04-2002, 06:52 AM
Hey guys the sales rep. at BMW told me to bring in my X5 when the computer tells me to. I have about 4k miles on it already and I've not seen any "OIL CHANGE" kinda message in my X5.

Do you guys know when the specific time or milage to perform the first oil change???

Thanks,

TGD
12-04-2002, 07:10 AM
When I bought my 316ti the computer said I was 30000 km away from my first oil change. I though that it was ridiculous. No I have done 11000 km and the computer says it can take 13000 km more. I have noticed that it deducts 2 km for every 1 km I drive, so that means I can easily do 16000 km before the first oil change. Most people on this forum however, prefer to add one more oil change between the normal BMW oil services. This would be around 8000 km.

So, here you are: normal oil service comes about every 10000 miles, while the many owners prefer to have an intermediate oil change every 5000 miles. If you decide to have such a change you should NOT reset the car computer, because an oil service is not just an oil change!

KHADAFI
12-04-2002, 07:15 AM
What??? 10K miles??? My last car I had to change my oil every 3k miles. Are you really sure about this???

I still cant believe it. How do they do it??? My gilrfriend is going to flip out when I tell her this....

TGD
12-04-2002, 07:23 AM
I has almost nothing to do with BMW, they are special synthetic long life oils. I think the ones used by BMW are made by Castrol.

This type of oil is not suitable for every engine, but all german cars nowadays use such oils.

A fellow member just had his first oil change. At over 14000 miles:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16493

DrBimmer
12-04-2002, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by KHADAFI
What??? 10K miles??? My last car I had to change my oil every 3k miles. Are you really sure about this???

I still cant believe it. How do they do it??? My gilrfriend is going to flip out when I tell her this....

Actually, its more like 15k...

lonestar
12-04-2002, 06:21 PM
I wouldn't go over 7000 miles on any oil on any engine. It's too cheap not to. The best, longest lasting engines get their oil and filter changed frequently. Synthetics do last longer. When you pay them to change your oil, tell them not to reset the indicators so you get ever other change as part of the standard maintenance arrangement.

Jason B
12-05-2002, 06:56 AM
Just had the first oil change in the X @ 13K. It still had one green light on, probably could have gone another 3-4K.