PDA

View Full Version : How to get the best polish?

DentShop
10-05-2006, 08:44 PM
Hello everyone, I was wanting to know for under $100 how I could get the best polish possible for my 2007 Dodge Charger :dunno:

I am just getting it ready to show off to some friends and want it shiny, I never did this before so advice is welcome!

ajfB004
10-05-2006, 10:58 PM
Klasse AIO and Sealant Glaze combo 2 coats AIO 3 Coats SG.the kit is about 50 bucks

BrAdam's
10-06-2006, 09:07 AM
The best polish and easiest to use stuff is Adam's Polishes.

I recommend the Revive Polish to give depth to the paint and then covering it with his Butter Wax. You'll find that this stuff is the easiest most effective polish on the market. Its 110% gurranteed and they do ship and have distributors in Canada. These are Premium Quality products made for Premium Quality cars. Unlike Zaino, mothers,and mequiars, Adam's wax and polsih does not require any drying time, multiple coats, and is much easier to remove.

Here is a Link to the site:

http://www.adamspolishes.com/site/department.cfm?id=80B8EB85-1706-42AE-BE854416411BCED4&killnav=1

Hope this helps

Marcellus
10-18-2006, 08:23 PM
I'm not totally convinced that you get what you pay for with expensive waxes and polishes. I'll eventually try Zaino or Klasse, but haven't yet.

These pictures are representative of the shine I get from whatever I pick up at Pep Boys (Liquid Glass). I have, however, been converted to clay bars! Very necessary step.

Bill-SD
10-18-2006, 09:26 PM
I'm not totally convinced that you get what you pay for with expensive waxes and polishes. I'll eventually try Zaino or Klasse, but haven't yet.

These pictures are representative of the shine I get from whatever I pick up at Pep Boys (Liquid Glass). I have, however, been converted to clay bars! Very necessary step.

That's one shiny car :thumbup:

schley
10-18-2006, 10:27 PM

is that actual water on your car? it looks wet as the ocean!

Nothing like earning some respect on a car forum huh :thumbup:

ajfB004
10-19-2006, 12:39 AM
I use to use liquid glass when I was in highschool on my car it cost about the same as Klasse AIO but it doesnt last as long on the car. I believe it has no UV protectant also, the stuff produces a good shine though. Still have a few friends with show cars that never see the road who swear by it.

TOGWT
10-19-2006, 02:44 AM
Best wax or Sealant:
Is there a best? In my opinion- No! While its true many of the chemicals used in the formulation of car care products are the same (or at least very similar) Having used a variety of different products I can tell one from another and field testing shows that not all have the durability either, some simply out perform others in many categories and react differently when applied to different paint types, colours, or varied paint surface conditions.
Ultimately the best wax or sealant will prove to be the one that best meets its user's objectives.

There is no one product that can produce all of the properties for an optically perfect shine, however; for high surface gloss and surface reflectance-a polymer sealant, which also provides durability. Detailing enthusiasts consider shine as only one attribute of a protective wax or sealant. They are equally concerned with; ease of application, resistance to abrasion, atmospheric contamination and weathering.

a) For depth of shine and a ‘wet-look’ - Carnauba wax (also provides a sacrificial and easily renewable barrier against airborne contaminants.
b) For an optically perfect shine, clarity, long term durability and protection apply a polymer sealant (Zaino Z2PRO™ + ZFX™ Flash Cure Accelerator Additive) to a carefully prepared level, clean paint surface and add a Carnauba wax or Zaino Z-8™ Grand Finale Spray Seal as a (LSP) last step product.
c) The aesthetics of a vehicle appearance is very subjective to say the least, the only best wax or sealant that really matters is what looks 'best' to you.
d) The final result can only be as good as the surface it’s applied to. It really is all dependants upon; 85% preparation, 5% product, 7% application method and the balance is in the ‘guy’ of the beholder. (A detailer’s skill level is also extremely important)

FWIW
Differences between Polish, Wax and Plymer sealants-
1.Polish ( used to provide a high gloss)-Usually formulated with ultra-fine abrasives and oils for lubrication, with varying grades of abrasion, they break down as they are used, gradually reducing in size and burnishing the surface to produce a highly reflective gloss, if applying a polymer after polishing you’ll need to remove any surface oils with Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA).
2.Polymer Sealant- (provides durable protection)-A non-organic based wax formulated from polymers used to seal paint with a thin hard barrier. They are very durable and provide a very bright, but flat silvery shine.
3.Carnauba Wax- (provides a sacrificial but renewable protection)-A natural wax repellent, it forms a barrier that is a natural protection from the suns UV radiation, acid rain, airborne pollutants and acidic bird droppings, it provides Colour, Depth and Clarity that is without equal, but lacks durability.

Marcellus
10-19-2006, 05:34 PM
is that actual water on your car? it looks wet as the ocean!

Nothing like earning some respect on a car forum huh :thumbup:

THANKS for the compliments on the shine (the car is bone-dry).

I also appreciate TOGWT's detailed explanation. Please note that I'm not knocking the more expensive waxes, but I'm questioning the INCREMENTAL improvement for the dollar. I think if you have a good paint job and smooth surface to work with (must clay), there are many "cheap" products that do a fabulous job. I was intrigued by the July CR article that crowned a $5 bottle of Black Magic the king of shine. Durability, gloss, ease-of-use were all taken into consideration. I just tried the Black Magic on our week-old Monaco Blue 330i and the shine is every bit as impressive as the Z3 photos above. My only complaint is that is was a little difficult to remove (greasy).

Thoughts anyone???? A healthy debate on this subject may be as pointless as comparing the Infinity to the BMW.

Tampa335i
10-19-2006, 07:14 PM
I like Adams. Here is my new 335 just done with Adams.

Marcellus
10-20-2006, 07:34 AM
Honestly, as far as comparing levels of gloss via pictures posted on this board is difficult because photography techniques play such a key role. The lighting and angle has to be just-right to give the deepest appearance. If I took the same picture of my blue hood (above) in bright sunshine it wouldn't look very good. I'm sure Tampa's car is kick-butt shiny, but the pictures are taken in very bright sunshine and that tends to diminish the appearance of gloss. The light reflections from the metallic flakes in the paint overcome the surface reflection from the clearcoat. I've seen some impressive pictures on this board where you can't even tell what color the car is because all you see is mirror-like reflection of the background.

Anyway, back to the debate . . . anyone got any stunning pictures using $5 products?