PDA

View Full Version : cupholders and fast starts --- don't mix

dsbeaupre
12-05-2002, 12:42 PM
Leaving Dunkin Donuts this morning with a full 'large regular' in my cupholder, I had to pull out quickly to merge with the 50+ mph traffic. Unfortunately, my cupholder decided not to hold onto the cup, and the entire large regular ended up in my lap.

Fortunately, it wasn't scalding hot - so I don't have any burns - that would've been really nasty.

But, now my seatbelt light and airbag light are on.

I guess the coffee must have shorted out the wiring in the seat. How do I fix this?

Thanks,
-Derek

johnlew
12-05-2002, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by dsbeaupre
Leaving Dunkin Donuts this morning with a full 'large regular' in my cupholder, I had to pull out quickly to merge with the 50+ mph traffic. Unfortunately, my cupholder decided not to hold onto the cup, and the entire large regular ended up in my lap.

Fortunately, it wasn't scalding hot - so I don't have any burns - that would've been really nasty.

But, now my seatbelt light and airbag light are on.

I guess the coffee must have shorted out the wiring in the seat. How do I fix this?

Thanks,
-Derek

It may still be damp. Wait a couple of days.

Long term, have your coffee at the office.

DanB
12-05-2002, 01:06 PM
For now, you might want to get in on that group cupholder buy down the list!

-DanB

DanB
12-05-2002, 01:09 PM
BTW, this is the part number for what you may need to replace...

72-11-8-240-045

Call pacific BMW at 800-909-PART and price it out. They'll have the lowest price avail. if you need it.

-DanB

dsbeaupre
12-05-2002, 01:13 PM
Thanks very much Dan!

John, I buy the coffee there, but usually don't open it til I get to work.

johnlew
12-05-2002, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by dsbeaupre

John, I buy the coffee there, but usually don't open it til I get to work.

Sounds very reasonable, accidents happen.

brigun
12-19-2002, 12:09 PM
:tsk: Well for what it's worth been there done that there right you may get away with it but the error's may come back***** a reset tool or find Dieter who NOT at a BMW dealer and see if he can ops check it for you if error's return.My wife at a Italian resturant saved her meal once (styrofoam carton) as she got in car it dumped all over me and the console, gearshift, and down between seat's, you name it(mess).Needless to say we were close to home,all dressed up in her skirt and heel's she was a cleanin' because she knew she'd get a beatin' by lookin' at me.She no longer "saves the spagetti till she get's home".She learned, food is Verboten in
ze bimmer kar...

dsbeaupre
01-03-2003, 06:34 AM
I did bring my car in recently for other work (non-dealer, euro specialty garage), and he was able to reset the air-bag light, and it has stayed off!

PHEW!!

Thanks guys!

brigun
01-03-2003, 06:46 PM
:thumbup: For real! over the holiday's I've been searchin the web four diagnostic equipment.It's out there OBD II isn't very complicated just different.There is support for us home mechanic's or the independent wrench.Take for instant the PEAKE
Research reset tool,priced right reset's an oil light the dealer makes you think he's performing vodoo,my local BMW dealer knows what I do and they hate me there 'cause I wisper to the customer's ok after he ground's a pin in the big connector you'll be finishedwith your oil change oh,buy the way the lube shop down the road sell's the same oil.When I told a guy this mystery stuff they push on you is bull****.I currently scoping out a diag system that interfaces to a palm pilot but I lost the guy,when I find em' I'll let everyone know.Oh, buy the way how do you enforce a warranty from oil services? if your engine blew you think they be able to tell you didn't use BMW oil?Or have it done at a BMW center?would they take an oil sample and foward it to a lab for analysis:dunno: total marketing crap..