Edge Pads? or Lake Country? [Archive] - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

: Edge Pads? or Lake Country?

10-08-2006, 10:10 PM
Hello folks -

I am new to the forum and detailing in general, and a tad overwhelmed by all the information that must be processed to make proper decisions regarding investment in detailing tools and supplies.

I am making progress though and actually clayed my 1998 528i this afternoon with what appeared to be excellent results.

The real tell - tale will be attacking swirls, scratches and mars in on the car (I bought the car used several months ago).

I have ordered a PC from Coastal Tool and am about to order 6 inch and 4 inch pads from Properautocare.com ...... Yet, after many additional hours of research I wonder if the Edge Pads are the way to go.

I did a search in the forum for Edge, but could find no references to these Pads or the system. They appear to have some real benefits, but I want to know about the cons, if any.

After I ordered the PC 7474 with 6 in. backing plate I came across the flexible backing plates at ProperAutoCare site as well as the special foam pads for older German vehicles and I find myself wondering if I should can the standard backing plate and go with the flexible plate and German special pads. I do have several other vehicles which presumably would not benefit from this change.... comments on this issue would be appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance and thanks especially to all the posters of information in this forum..... this site is incredibly helpful to someone just getting in the groove!

(alias David)
Orlando, FL.

10-09-2006, 07:16 AM

Indeed, Lake Country pads are quality German Durafoam. After almost a year of use I have no rips or tears in mine and they still work perfect. Since you have already ordered the PC all you need are the pads. Adam's Polishes sell the pads specifically for this machine. There are two pads with different sides, so you actually get four pads!! Also instead of the old-school backing plate there is now a quick-release adapter that is designed to work only for the Porter Cable 7474. You can actually achieve ZERO SWIRLS!! with this system. If you purchase from Adam's, they guarantee the pads for life as well as the adapter.

Here is a link to the pads:


If you have anymore questions please email or call me

Good luck!!


10-09-2006, 07:17 AM

Here is how they work:

The First Pad:

The Green & Orange Pad is made of two German Durafoams, each the highest quality and most effective currently made. The Green side is to be used with our Swirl & Haze Remover, and is for serious swirl marks and oxidation. Flip the pad, and use the softer Orange pad to eliminate moderate swirls and oxidation. Always start with the Orange before switching to the more agressive Green. You can now achieve ZERO SWIRLS with this new system.

The Second Pad:

After that, use the White Pad, again with the Revive Polish. Finish with the Butter Wax on the Black Pad.

Always do a small secion first, and start with the least agressive pad first, then move your way up.

Perfection is yours to enjoy!

10-09-2006, 07:48 AM
I use Wolfgang pads with mine and have perfect results . I was sceptical at first becuse my car is black but I ended up extremely pleased with the results. The PC is an idiot proof machine, my finish is proof of it

Pinnacle ASR
Klasse AIO 2 X
Klasse SG 3X


10-09-2006, 09:55 AM
From original poster of this Thread:

I am trying to understand the pros and cons of Pads requiring backing Plates (like Classic Motors) and thos that don't) like Edge and it seems Wolfgang.

Thanks. To many choices!


10-09-2006, 01:27 PM

Velcro has has the tendancy of wearing out over time if the pad are being used or if you wash the pad alot. The fibers in the hook and loop system over time will not be porous enough to really give a secure lock on the PC. Also, it is impotant to center the pad with the velcro, so it polishes easily and will not hook an edge.

I recommend the two-sided system because the pads are twice as thick and they pretty much take care of all of the problems associated with the backing plate.

Look at the Link: