PDA

View Full Version : i have turned into a detail snob

r6girl
10-11-2006, 02:03 PM
since i got my X3 earlier this year, i have taken meticulous care of it to avoid swirl marks and scratches. i've invested entirely too much money in car care products and microfiber towels. i spend hours washing and detailing it. my neighbors joke about how often i wash my car, and shout requests for me to detail their cars too as they walk by (i refrain from giving them the finger). my husband thinks i've officially gone off the deep end. but the result is that i have very few swirl marks (from a time when i forgot to tell the dealership to not wash my car after changing a tire :cry: ), and after my last washing, polishing, and waxing, they aren't even visible.

now, every time i see a black car, i check out the finish carefully and mutter "amateur" under my breath when i see swirl marks. actually, i don't think i've seen a black car without swirl marks ever. it's even worse when it's a nice car. at a driving school at willow springs earlier this year, i was parked next to a black ferrari that looked like someone had taken a brillo pad to the paint. i felt like pinching the owner and telling him to find a professional detailer to address this travesty.

so, i am a detail snob, particularly regarding black cars. i know my car won't look fabulous forever, but it does right now, dammit! :D i seriously need to get out more. or find a detailer snob anonymous help group.

jbcritch
10-11-2006, 02:05 PM
Good for you....I feel the same!:thumbup:

highway
10-11-2006, 08:00 PM
Count me in the detail snob committee !

This is my 2nd black car, and I spend hours every weekend detailing the car and using all the right techniques, 2 buckets to wash, micro fibre towels, sheet the water off, then pat dry.

Apply generous coats of Pinnacle carnuaba and repeat frequently.

The car never sees rain, let alone a cloud in the sky.

Swirl marks will be dealt with swiftly and severely.

I too see some beautifl cars that are marred by ugly swirl marks......... it is sad..:thumbdwn:

Its not being a snob.....I think it is love........ :)

Desertnate
10-11-2006, 08:25 PM
Count me in that crowd...and I didn't have a black car either.

Even now in my post BMW days, I still find myself taking the same care with my current autos as I did then.

I too find myself looking at cars for swirls. I do it at the auto shows too, and you would be surprised what you find.

mimic
10-11-2006, 09:58 PM
I'm definitely a detail snob. I never used to care about how my car looked until I bought my '97 528. I wash my car every weekend, and wax every other. Unfortunately my car does see clouds and rain as I do not have any underground parking at my building. In the mornings after a rain at night you'll find me outside 30 minutes before I'm supposed to leave drying my car so there are no spots.

What really gets me are the people that wash their car but are so lazy about that when it dries there are dirty patches left. I almost feel like yelling at the person "what's the point!".

I don't make a lot of money, and a lot of people don't think I could/would/should own a car like this. I worked 84 hours a week for 7 months (7dx12h) with no time off. And I pride myself in owning this car, but not in an egotistical way. I like to take care of my car and keep it looking nice. I spend about 8h a weekend doing various detailing on my car. So when I get compliments on the car, or my neighbour asks if I'll do theirs, I tell them "$120 and your car could look like this too!"

So far no one has taken up that offer... lol.

schley
10-11-2006, 10:10 PM

This is my 2nd black car, and I spend hours every weekend detailing the car and using all the right techniques, 2 buckets to wash, micro fibre towels, sheet the water off, then pat dry.

I too see some beautifl cars that are marred by ugly swirl marks......... it is sad..:thumbdwn:

Dude what is wrong with your clearcoat? Is that before your carnuba?:dunno:

JonathanIT
10-11-2006, 11:23 PM
now, every time i see a black car, i check out the finish carefully and mutter "amateur" under my breath when i see swirl marks.

I know exactly how you feel.. I remember a while back when ZHP coupes/cabrios had recently come out and I saw a gorgeous bright red cabrio in the parking lot of BestBuy. It was brand new and still had the dealer plates on it. The top was down exposing a beautiful tan interior. I wanted to get a closer look at this beauty; I was so jealous... that is until I got close enough to see that the entire car was covered in knee deep swirl marks just blaring in the afternoon sun. I was horrified... on a spanking brand new car! I thought either the poor owner got screwed by a dealer who abused the paint... or the the moron ran it through the car wash 5 times a week since he got it thinking he's "taking care" of his car. I just remember looking back at my own SGM baby and feeling happy again. :D

--J.

r6girl
10-11-2006, 11:28 PM
woo hoo! i'm not alone! it's nice to not be the only detail snob. :thumbup:

can you guys tell my husband i'm not that insane? or at least that this "condition" isn't that out of the ordinary among owners of fine vehicles? :D actually, he may not understand that since he's driving a crappy pathfinder, the one i passed on to him when i got my X3, which means... oh, damn, he's probably just jealous! that's it - no wonder he harasses me so much. jealousy is an ugly thing. ;)

actually, the pathfinder isn't that bad (i did buy it, after all - can't admit i bought a crappy vehicle, now can i? ;) ). it's good for hauling stuff but it ain't pretty and it is not fun to drive at all. i will make an effort to tolerate his lack of understanding of my detail snob status.

r6girl
10-11-2006, 11:31 PM

your 550 looks flawless! i hereby grant you an official detail snob badge! :thumbup:

r6girl
10-11-2006, 11:39 PM
I too find myself looking at cars for swirls. I do it at the auto shows too, and you would be surprised what you find.

that is so odd. of all places, you'd think people who run the auto shows would *notice* that and try to fix it and/or prevent it from happening in the first place. what is wrong with them?

What really gets me are the people that wash their car but are so lazy about that when it dries there are dirty patches left. I almost feel like yelling at the person "what's the point!".

I spend about 8h a weekend doing various detailing on my car. So when I get compliments on the car, or my neighbour asks if I'll do theirs, I tell them "$120 and your car could look like this too!"

So far no one has taken up that offer... lol.

i hate it when i see partially dirty cars as well. i wonder what exactly they were doing at the same time as attempting to wash their car. smoking? watching tv? what could possilbly cause them to miss huge spots of dirt?

8 hours of detail work for $120? that would be a steal - you could totally charge more. :angel:

I know exactly how you feel.. I remember a while back when ZHP coupes/cabrios had recently come out and I saw a gorgeous bright red cabrio in the parking lot of BestBuy. It was brand new and still had the dealer plates on it. The top was down exposing a beautiful tan interior. I wanted to get a closer look at this beauty; I was so jealous... that is until I got close enough to see that the entire car was covered in knee deep swirl marks just blaring in the afternoon sun. I was horrified... on a spanking brand new car! I thought either the poor owner got screwed by a dealer who abused the paint... or the the moron ran it through the car wash 5 times a week since he got it thinking he's "taking care" of his car. I just remember looking back at my own SGM baby and feeling happy again. :D

--J.

that is such a shame to see on a new car. how do people just not notice that? i would have screamed bloody murder if my new car was delivered to me like that. the worst part would probably be that the dealership wouldn't even notice until you pointed it out to them, and then they wouldn't think it was a big deal. bastards! :mad:

Elvis530i
10-12-2006, 10:46 AM
can you guys tell my husband i'm not that insane?

Sadly, no. The condition you're describing is called Black Car Syndrome, and it's potentially fatal. Soon you'll be washing your car with bottled distilled water and be afraid to even drive it for fear of incurring rock chips.

My rule: if you can't see it from more than two feet away, it doesn't exist. Anything else is a road to insanity.

jbcritch
10-12-2006, 11:04 AM
Sadly, no. The condition you're describing is called Black Car Syndrome, and it's potentially fatal. Soon you'll be washing your car with bottled distilled water and be afraid to even drive it for fear of incurring rock chips.

My rule: if you can't see it from more than two feet away, it doesn't exist. Anything else is a road to insanity.

Count me insane....:( I have washed my car with white vinegar before to remove water spots - no harm to the paint and it dissolves the minerals in the spots instantly :thumbup: although for about 2 hours your car smells like a pickle :confused:

Elvis530i
10-12-2006, 11:13 AM
Count me insane....:( I have washed my car with white vinegar before to remove water spots - no harm to the paint and it dissolves the minerals in the spots instantly :thumbup: although for about 2 hours your car smells like a pickle :confused:

I've been there. :D

highway
10-12-2006, 11:52 AM
Bottled distilled water..........why didnt i think of that ..... :mad:

what contaminents have i been putting on my poor car using municipal water.........:dunno:

I cant believe i missed that............:tsk:

Desertnate
10-12-2006, 11:58 AM
that is so odd. of all places, you'd think people who run the auto shows would *notice* that and try to fix it and/or prevent it from happening in the first place. what is wrong with them?

That is what I thought too. However, at the Chicago Auto Show two years ago, the worst offender I have ever seen was a black VW GTI parked right under a spot light. It had serious swirls. Not just little ones that appear over time from lots of washing and a little sloppines from the owner, but HUGE deep swirls like the detail jocky used a wash/wax rag with grit in it. The spot light just lit up those swirls like crazy. :tsk:

r6girl
10-13-2006, 09:57 AM

nooooooooo! i fear the end is near for me, then. :rofl:

i do need to stop being so OCD about my car. i can't possibly keep it looking nice forever. and i really should get over this before snowboarding season starts and i'm driving my X3 to the mountains frequently. at least they don't use salt on the roads at lake tahoe. :eeps:

Moderato
10-13-2006, 09:36 PM
Don't let the dealer wash the car ever! Only if they have a touchless wash and someone who actually cares do the dry.