PDA

View Full Version : I'm doing a full Zaino detail this weekend --->

silvergray
10-12-2006, 10:11 AM
I have a few questions for the pros out there:

I bought the Zaino Full Protection Kit. I am going to start with a Dawn wash, followed by clay, then Z7 wash. Regarding clay, what do I do for a lube. I thought about filling a bucked with Z7 and water, and just using a wash mit to soap the area. Some say using a spray bottle with soap is best, others a lube, and other this. What is the most effective.

I'm concerned about clay because my friend destoryed his new Jet Black 325i with Zaino clay. He put mad swirls, fine scratches, orange peels, etc in his 3 day old car. (Used spray bottle with Z7/Water) I want to avoid that at all costs. Should I use Z7 as a lube? Are there any inexpensive spray detailers that I can go pick up? (AutoZone or Meijer?)

Will the ZPC-Fusion remove the etching made by bird crap? (Happened at dealership!) How do I go about doing this? And for the interior, will Z10 "Leather in a Bottle" serve as a good dash, door panel, and seat protectant?

I am totally new to detailing, and I need some help. If you can help me out with some tips and techniques for appilying Zaino, that would be greatly appreciated! Pics are to come.

Thanks!

Socalz71
10-12-2006, 10:21 AM
Great instruction on clay lube. If I remember, its one capful for 12 or 16 oz of water in a spray bottle. NEVER clay a non-lubed surface, possbile your friends mistake and alway keep your clay area lubed. Clay a lower qtr panel first to get the hang of it, or a beater car.

Once you complete your zaino (at leat 3 coats), use the gloss enhancer as your quick detailer.

I beleive Zaino does not have abrasives so try the clay for the dropping, if not you will need a very light compoud like scratchX than polish.

IMO, love the stuff, Z10 is the best for all interior, dash, leather, panels etc.
Its going to be at least 3-5 hours of work but well worth it.
Look at the meguires site, zainobros site, and read first.

dg144
10-12-2006, 10:32 AM
if the car is new you should not need the clay bar, I started using the Zaino kit on my new Black Z06 this year and love the stuff, I will be using it on my M5 when if arrives next month, the gloss enhancer is the bomb for daily use. The wash diluted in a spray bottle works great in wheels for brake dust too.:thumbup:

beauport
10-12-2006, 11:44 AM
if the car is new you should not need the clay bar.....:

Sorry, but even new cars need the clay treatment. Rail dust from being transported, etc. The surface is not nearly as clean as it should be without using clay.

highway
10-12-2006, 11:48 AM
I agree that a new car needs claying........especially if it makes a 4 week overseas trip.

I asked the dealer to only wash my car and not detail it for my pick up.

It needed to be clayed, I found a lot of contaminents when i clayed the car prior to waxxing.

But then, i do have a tendency to go overboard.......:bigpimp:

tks

schley
10-12-2006, 11:51 AM
Sorry, but even new cars need the clay treatment. Rail dust from being transported, etc. The surface is not nearly as clean as it should be without using clay.

Absolutely use the clay when the car is new. It is only an hour or so, and if you don't you will seal whatever particles are on the car. They will not come off with a regular wash, but will need to be dawn washed to get the zaino off and then clayed, so might as well start on the right foot.

Socalz71
10-12-2006, 11:52 AM
Agreed, claying a new car is a good idea. One thing to try to see if it needs claying is to run your hand in a very thin plastic glove along the car. You may or may not feel sone rough spots. Thats where you clay.
My car looked great, but clayed the entire pass door because it was very rough.

So new cars still should be clayed.

danna
10-12-2006, 02:44 PM
Ah, Hell! The guys on this board told me there was no way even an idiot (which I am when it come to anything even vaguely mechanical) could damage their car with clay bar.

I bought the kit and was planning to do it tomorrow.

Should I maybe just do a tiny section and see how it goes? I have some waterspots on the hood (only a couple of weeks old)...are they likely to come off with just washing? I don't think I want to use Z-2 over them, right?

highway
10-12-2006, 02:53 PM
Danna

The clay bar Kit I purchased came with a spray bottle. When i looked, it was the same bottle that was sold as a detailing spray........( this was a meguiars kit )

make sure you completely soak a SMALL area, you will know when you clay if you have enough lubricant.......the bar will drag otherwise...if it does, stop and spray some more :thumbup:

Believe me, easy to do.....small section at a time. :bigpimp:

For water spots, use vinegar ........ works like a charm, but dont do it in the direct sunlight and immediately wipe off.

tks !!

dpritchett
10-12-2006, 02:53 PM
+ on claying a new car ... there's a lot of contamination on the surface and no better time to deal with it.

I've used a spray bottle of water/z-7 mix as a lubricant for clay on several cars for years now, and have not experienced any problems with swirls/scratches, etc. If you work a section at a time and keep everything well lubed, you should be fine. Meguiar's Quik Detailer is also good as a lubricant if you wanted to go that route.

If you drop the clay bar on the ground, its basically toasted as far as using it on your paint ... it will pick up stuff from the ground, and then you really will make some scratches.

jbcritch
10-12-2006, 03:36 PM
I have a few questions for the pros out there:

I bought the Zaino Full Protection Kit. I am going to start with a Dawn wash, followed by clay, then Z7 wash. Regarding clay, what do I do for a lube. I thought about filling a bucked with Z7 and water, and just using a wash mit to soap the area. Some say using a spray bottle with soap is best, others a lube, and other this. What is the most effective.

I'm concerned about clay because my friend destoryed his new Jet Black 325i with Zaino clay. He put mad swirls, fine scratches, orange peels, etc in his 3 day old car. (Used spray bottle with Z7/Water) I want to avoid that at all costs. Should I use Z7 as a lube? Are there any inexpensive spray detailers that I can go pick up? (AutoZone or Meijer?)

Will the ZPC-Fusion remove the etching made by bird crap? (Happened at dealership!) How do I go about doing this? And for the interior, will Z10 "Leather in a Bottle" serve as a good dash, door panel, and seat protectant?

I am totally new to detailing, and I need some help. If you can help me out with some tips and techniques for appilying Zaino, that would be greatly appreciated! Pics are to come.

Thanks!

I have done it lots of times and never any damage. I use lots of dawn soap in a spray bottle. Dont be stingy with the soap. It is the best lube for the clay bar.

danna
10-16-2006, 10:07 AM
I Zaino'ed this weekend. Washed w/ Dawn, used claybar with diluted Z7 as lube. I used practically no pressure, just the force of gravity as a pushed the clay along. I got one gnat, and about a couple dozen black specs...otherwise, the clay looks new. I don't know if my car was just really clean, or if I was not applying enough pressure. Given those results, I didn't bother with the vertical surfaces.

Washed it again, blew it dry w/ the leaf blower, applied Z2(w/ ZFX/whatever) to the entire car. It's a 545. That took about 25 minutes. Waited another 5 and started taking it off. Finished w/ Z6. Although I had intended to do 2 coats, my 71 year old Dad (whose shady driveway I was using) refused to stop helping me, and he looked tired.

The car looked great, and somehow seemed to look even better from a short distance away. My picky-ass husband was impressed.

Then, overnight, condensation formed on the car (parked in a pull-in barn, no door) and now it has water spots again. Dammit. Can I just spritz it w/ Z6 and wpe down, or do I risk grit-scratching if I don't wash it first? Thanks!

highway
10-16-2006, 10:34 AM
Danna

If the car has been parked outside for a while, i wouldnt just spray a detailer on it.

I think that overnight dust and other contaminents get on the car, and in the end, you will just grind this stuff onto the car.

Maybe a quick wash, then be sure to sheet the car ( ie, take the spray nozzle off, and at half hose pressure simply rinse the car off.......you will be surprised how little water is left after you do this.)

Then again, some people think i am OCD with the car........

tks !

K

DotBalm
10-16-2006, 11:34 AM
If the car has been parked outside for a while, i wouldnt just spray a detailer on it.

I think that overnight dust and other contaminents get on the car, and in the end, you will just grind this stuff onto the car.

That is very good advice imho.

Danna -

when you say water spots from condensation, do you mean like whitish hard water spots similar to what happens from a sprinkler or wash job in the sun? Or just dew drops that have made little circles in the surface dust? Are you the one who bought the car out of state? If so, how's the car doing? (not meant to hijack thread...)

danna
10-16-2006, 02:43 PM
Yeah...whitish spots. No dust on the car. I guess what they say about black cars is true. I don't remember noticing water spots like this on the old blue car until it had been abusued by many rain/hot sun cycles. Maybe I just wasn't paying attention.

Yes...I'm the sight-unseen purchaser. It's doing fine. Drives like a chained beast, and surrounds me in luxury. I'm loving the toasty warm auburn leather. I can get my bike in the back by only folding down one rear seat, so I can actually have 2 passengers AND my bike. My husband is also in love, and has retracted his opinion that I shouldn't have gotten a manual. The car is bigger than I realized...more car than I really need so I feel a bit guilty about loosing 5 mpg...I'm getting right around 19 so far.

The only bummer so far was the property tax punch-in-the-gut! Thank you for asking.