PDA

View Full Version : Sales Tax on Gas Guzzler Tax?

DCC
12-07-2002, 08:45 AM
Is that right?
do we pay sales tax on gas guzzler tax?
where can I find documentation that the luxury tax is going away after 1/1/2003? (dealer won't admit to this)

Thanks

bluer1
12-07-2002, 08:52 AM
From the IRS, of course:
http://www.irs.gov/formspubs/page/0,,id%3D80204,00.html
:)

doeboy
12-07-2002, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by DCC
Is that right?
do we pay sales tax on gas guzzler tax?
where can I find documentation that the luxury tax is going away after 1/1/2003? (dealer won't admit to this)

Thanks

Paying Tax on a Tax? :confused: seems kind of fishy to me if you were told you had to....

I would think no sales tax is charged on the gas guzzler tax as it isn't exactly a part of the car or services associated with the car you may be purchasing... don't know for sure though....

Mr. The Edge
12-07-2002, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by doeboy
Paying Tax on a Tax? :confused: seems kind of fishy to me if you were told you had to....

I would think no sales tax is charged on the gas guzzler tax as it isn't exactly a part of the car or services associated with the car you may be purchasing... don't know for sure though....

nope, he's right--that's the way it is. Sales tax on gas guzzler AND luxury tax here

beewang
12-07-2002, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by doeboy

:eeps: Well... wrong unfortunately, Fact is, we pay "tax on a tax" all the time (e.g. Import duty). Double taxation, here in the U.S. happens ALL the time.:dunno:

YES!! You will pay sales tax on gas guzzler tax. Your dealer is not mistaking

beewang:bigpimp:

doeboy
12-07-2002, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by atyclb
nope, he's right--that's the way it is. Sales tax on gas guzzler AND luxury tax here

hmm... Interesting.... learn something everyday... :)

DCC
12-08-2002, 07:41 PM
noticed that the gas guzzler tax on a 540it window sticker is $1,000 not the $1,300 that is shown on the order price sheet...I wonder if the calculation or bracket changed for 2003 and if it applies to both sedan (w/sports) and wagons...