PDA

View Full Version : First swirl marks

mskvarenina
10-16-2006, 08:51 PM
With my black sapphire metallic car being a little over a week old it was time to clean the windshield. After cleaning the windshield I noticed an ugly spot of something on the hood so I used the same paper towel I cleaned the window with to lightly polish off the spot. With very little effort the spot was removed but I noticed the finest little scratches in the area where I rubbed. :cry:

Not sure what to do now...I guess the car is bound to get tons of tiny swirls over time, I just didn't think it would happen so easily.

Johnz3mc
10-17-2006, 12:06 AM
Paper towels are notorious for making swirls and you have the most beautiful paint in the whole world and the paint that shows swirls the most. So that means you'll be doomed to a pergatory of either battling swirls or preventing them forever.
A few techniques for the battle:
1. Remove them with a topical application of Swirl X (no machine needed) then an application of sealant or wax.
or
2. Fill them with a glaze with lots of fillers. Autoglym SRP or Race Glaze both have lots of fillers. A topical application again, with sealant or wax on top.

For the future, keep a little spritzer bottle with distilled water and a MF towel in your trunk. Put them in a plastic shopping bag if you want.

Paper towels are ok for glass but again, the thin microfiber towels are even better.
Good luck,
-John C.

BrAdam's
10-17-2006, 06:01 PM
Paper towels are notorious for making swirls and you have the most beautiful paint in the whole world and the paint that shows swirls the most. So that means you'll be doomed to a pergatory of either battling swirls or preventing them forever.
A few techniques for the battle:
1. Remove them with a topical application of Swirl X (no machine needed) then an application of sealant or wax.
or
2. Fill them with a glaze with lots of fillers. Autoglym SRP or Race Glaze both have lots of fillers. A topical application again, with sealant or wax on top.

For the future, keep a little spritzer bottle with distilled water and a MF towel in your trunk. Put them in a plastic shopping bag if you want.

Paper towels are ok for glass but again, the thin microfiber towels are even better.
Good luck,
-John C.

I agree. There could have been some surface dust or dirt along with the paper towel, that could have caused those fine swirls and scratches. Like John C. said using a non-abrasive Swirl and Haze Remover and some Revive Polish by hand will get rid of those marks.

In the future, make sure that the only thing that touches your paint is thick Microfiber towels, that is the only way to avoid scratches and swirls.

Good Luck

-Brad

mskvarenina
10-18-2006, 08:28 PM
So what can one do for snow removal. Now I'm afraid to use a standard brush.

BrAdam's
10-19-2006, 09:27 AM
I still use use a scraper and brush on my windows, but I just leave the snow on the car and drive. Last year when we had 28", I did knock off some of snow so I could see out, just using my arm, making sure i did not touch the paint. I also started the car up and let the heat run for about 15 minutes.

This year it will be in the garage, thats the best method!!