PDA

View Full Version : clearcoat scratch?

mister-e90
10-19-2006, 11:47 AM
In my attempt to try and remove a calcium-water stain (which are extremely difficult to remove) I ended up making a few very light scratch lines through what I think is the clear coat. The scratches are not very pronounced and are slightly white. Is this the clear coat?

Any idea's how to get rid of the light scratches? Can detaliers fix this kinda problem or do I have to go to a bmw center?

I know its hard to visualize without a pict, but I was wondering what you guys would do.

Help appreciated,

BrAdam's
10-19-2006, 12:41 PM
mister-e90,

This is an easy fix that you can do yourself!! It sounds like you have only lightly scratched the clearcoat. Any NON-abrasive scratch remover will work. I recommend Adam's Swirl and Haze Remover. It is a alumina-based microcompound that is less abrasive than toothpaste and gently removes swirls, light scratches and hazing from clearcoats and painted surfaces.

Here is a link to show you more:

http://www.adamspolishes.com/site/product.cfm?id=D7175241-06AF-4B12-816C0A4E9DE221C8

Also, calcium-water stains are usually easy to remove. I've detailed a couple of cars with this problem before. In each case the owner left the car sit out overnight, and was sprayed by the morning sprinkler system that left the white hazy marks. Any mild polish can remove hard-water stains.

Good Luck!

BmW745On19's
10-19-2006, 01:40 PM
Also, calcium-water stains are usually easy to remove. I've detailed a couple of cars with this problem before. In each case the owner left the car sit out overnight, and was sprayed by the morning sprinkler system that left the white hazy marks. Any mild polish can remove hard-water stains.

Good Luck!

Well, not necessarily. Sometimes if you leave hard water stains on your car for too long (over a couple of months) it will etch into the paint and will be impossible to remove, even with sandpaper. Then the only solution would be to repaint. But I do agree, if it has only been a day-week since the hard water stain has been on there it should be an easy fix.:thumbup:

jbcritch
10-19-2006, 01:53 PM
...and try white vinegar to remove hard water stains first....works great!:thumbup:

BrAdam's
10-19-2006, 08:41 PM
Well, not necessarily. Sometimes if you leave hard water stains on your car for too long (over a couple of months) it will etch into the paint and will be impossible to remove, even with sandpaper. Then the only solution would be to repaint. But I do agree, if it has only been a day-week since the hard water stain has been on there it should be an easy fix.:thumbup:

Thats true, it might be harder to remove hard-water if it sat on the car for a long period of time, but like most BMW owners, we know every inch of our cars, and wash them regularly. So every spot, scratch, swirl, or flaw in the car is addressed immediatly:thumbup:

Oh yeah, the White vinegar trick does work!! Just follow it by some polish.

TOGWT
10-20-2006, 07:13 AM
Removing 'ater spots'...

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97969&highlight=TOGWT