PDA

View Full Version : driver door got keyed...foot long line

firstbimmer
10-21-2006, 11:34 PM
Not sure what section this would fall under but I'm trying detailing since most people here are as anal about their cars as I am and might have dealt with this problem.

Well, as you can probably tell by the thread title, I came out to my car to see a fine (just deep enough to feel with a fingernail) footlong scratch-key mark on my driver's door. :cry: I think it's just a little too deep to be buffed out, so does anyone have any experience on how much something like this would cost for a sanding and repaint?

I've never had to deal with something like this before (why do people do crap like this?), so any advice or help anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone:)

schley
10-21-2006, 11:45 PM
Not sure what section this would fall under but I'm trying detailing since most people here are as anal about their cars as I am and might have dealt with this problem.

Well, as you can probably tell by the thread title, I came out to my car to see a fine (just deep enough to feel with a fingernail) footlong scratch-key mark on my driver's door. :cry: I think it's just a little too deep to be buffed out, so does anyone have any experience on how much something like this would cost for a sanding and repaint?

I've never had to deal with something like this before (why do people do crap like this?), so any advice or help anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone:)

I would think they would have to repaint the entire panel. Looking at least $300+ , you may want to notify your insurance depending on your deductible.

stream
10-22-2006, 08:14 AM

Depending on how fine (or deep) it is, you may be able to have it wet sanded and buffed out. Find a high end detailer or body shop and see what they say. Repainting should be a last resort.

BrAdam's
10-22-2006, 02:37 PM
Depending on how fine (or deep) it is, you may be able to have it wet sanded and buffed out. Find a high end detailer or body shop and see what they say. Repainting should be a last resort.

Sorry to hear that somene keyed your Bimmer. :(

I agree, in most cases a local body shop or detailer can properly remove the scratch using a buffer of fine wet sand. They can at least reduce the visability of the scratch to where you can see it only close up or in the proper light. Either way this is a much better alternative to having the panel touched up.

Good Luck!!

Johnz3mc
10-22-2006, 10:03 PM
Depending on the size of your deductable, I'd be tempted to buy some clear from paintscratch.com plus the Langka kit.
You mention it's not down into the paint so that's why I'm suggesting the clear + Langka.
We've all read that the Langka system doesn't work too well on the metallic paints but you're not dealing with metallic paint even though you may have it. You appear to be dealing with the clearcoat so this may be a possible solution.
I haven't been keyed yet, knock on wood but a beaver did get amorous with one of my tires once.
Good luck,
John C.

dboy11
10-23-2006, 07:16 AM
I see that you are on the bay area....I would call your local dealership and see who they use for scratch repair...they will have a mobile guy that comes to their lot...Here in Santa Rosa we have two guys of which I use one for my detailing customers...if all else fails send me a PM and I can get the guy that I use to help you