PDA

View Full Version : just finished clay aio and sg x 2- questions

Bmr boy
10-30-2006, 09:37 AM
It has been done over about a 3 week period but just finished the clay aio and 2 coats of sg and I have a few questions. Should I add an additional sg and if so how many more coates?

Would a wax be a nice addition?

and finally I garage my daughter at home and at work and rarely is she in the sun or overnight long- How long will all this beauty last? And if I am to start this all over again do I do just the sg or start all over with the aio and then the sg( assuming no clay done) Intervals?

THANKS!

Johnz3mc
10-30-2006, 11:17 AM
It has been done over about a 3 week period but just finished the clay aio and 2 coats of sg and I have a few questions. Should I add an additional sg and if so how many more coates?

and finally I garage my daughter at home and at work and rarely is she in the sun or overnight long- How long will all this beauty last? And if I am to start this all over again do I do just the sg or start all over with the aio and then the sg( assuming no clay done) Intervals?

THANKS!
When I used SG, I put on 4 coats but didn't see any difference between 3 and 4 so let your eyes tell you when to stop with the SG.
The AIO/SG will last for a min. 3 or 4 months with your parking regimen, probably longer.
A California duster used properly will be helpful for the days when you get a light dusting of dust.
As for the question of starting over in the future, if you leave everything too long, a fresh start with aio is the way to go. If you keep reapplying SG on a semi-regular basis, you don't need to do the aio step. The aio will remove everything you've done up to that point of course, it's a super cleaner/stripper.

As for waxing on top, it's a sword of Damocles situation. Good points and bad. The bad is the wax will stop your SG applications because SG won't bond to the carnauba surface.
The good part is the carnauba will impart more depth, gloss, and wetness to your paint and the effect will be more noticeable as the darkness of the paint increases. Red, black, blue, green, etc will show the effect well. Silver, white, beige, etc. will have a not so pronounced effect so personally, I wouldn't bother with the wax if my car was silver or white.
-John C.

ajfB004
10-30-2006, 06:26 PM
I only use 3 coats of SG to start with. Hit ity with the duster and then a coat of SG about every other week.

DRWWE
10-31-2006, 09:01 AM
I agree with the above. There is really no need for many coats of SG on a light car other than for protection of the paint.

I would suggest "starting over" a couple times a year by going back to clay, etc to keep your car gorgeous.

jvr826
10-31-2006, 09:09 AM

THANKS!

What color is your car? If it's dark, a coat or two of carnuba over the SG will add depth to it. I do my car once a year with the Klasse twins, then do P21S/S100 carnuba every so often as a top coat. My car is only out of the garage when driving it so my paint care process is fairly easy too.

I also use AIO/SG on my wheels. With proper cure time before driving, it helps make cleaning so much easier.

No pics of your handywork? I mean c'mon!! Share the love!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Bmr boy
10-31-2006, 10:46 AM
ok ill try to post

if i can figure it out- she is a jet black beauty

i out some instand detailer over a panel or two and it seemed to make it look better?- i guess now sg wont go on top of that anymore?

Johnz3mc
10-31-2006, 12:10 PM
ok ill try to post

i out some instand detailer over a panel or two and it seemed to make it look better?- i guess now sg wont go on top of that anymore?

It's hard to say. Some QDs are acrylic based, some are carnauba based. Either way, it's not going to stick around :D after a couple of washes.
Just in case: QD = quick detailer.
-John C.

jbcritch
10-31-2006, 02:42 PM
:mad: Pictures!:bigpimp:

Vicman17
11-13-2006, 06:32 PM
ok ill try to post

Klasse SG bonds properly to the surface prepped with Klasse AIO. 3-4 layered coats of SG spaced 24 hours apart will provide you with at least 6 months of protection. Probably longer if you park it indoors or in a carport. Remember that the SG has to bond properly to the finish, otherwise, you will just end up removing the half-bonded SG with a fresh application.
Once the last layer has properly bonded, wash the car again and apply 2 coats of P21S/ S100 wax (available from a Harley Davidson shop) applied with a foam applicator. This should last another 3-4 weeks on top of what the SG's protection. Remember that the Carnauba will rub off after a few weeks.
I use spray wax like Optimum Spray Wax or Eagle One Wax As U Dry Spray in between waxes after every wash just to "prolong" the shine. Also use a higher grade MF cloth and avoid terry towels as they are abrasive.

Locksmythe
11-14-2006, 06:15 AM
Is it the Klasse camp that swears by microfibre? The Zaino site says to only use cotton. And for the exact same reason! MF scratches and 100% cotton won't. (Their words)

TOGWT
11-14-2006, 07:56 AM
Is it the Klasse camp that swears by microfibre? The Zaino site says to only use cotton. And for the exact same reason! MF scratches and 100% cotton won't. (Their words)

Not sure what 'camp' I belong to but I only use 100% cotton micro fibre towels from DFTowels.com I think Zaino recommends 100% cotton BATH towels and Klasse propably use Microfiber

Microfiber :
Micro fibre by definition (very small; involving minute quantities or variations) is not a fabric; but a yarn, that***8217;s spun into thread, which is then used to weave a terry fabric. These ultra-fine yarns (2X as fine as silk and 100X finer than a human hair) are made form various sources, they can be made from many different materials, such as a 70% Polyester 30% Polyamide or a natural material such as cellulose, a plant carbohydrate.

This detailing towel AlpineFiber***8482; is made entirely of a blend of micro fibre cotton and pima cotton, 100% Cotton (50% Cotton Micro fibre/50% Pima Cotton) Its scratch resistance has a lot to do with the way the fibres are processed and spun, there are too many factors to be able to say conclusively that natural fibres will not cause scratches and artificial fibres will. In my opinion, however, natural fibres are far less likely to scratch, flannel or cotton flannel is a very tight weave and it could scratch as it mats down easily, always try to stay with a terrycloth weave.

Product specific - DF Alpine***8482; - (http://www.dftowel.com) is exceptionally soft, super absorbent terrycloth. The fabric is woven from a blend of micro fibre cotton and Pima Cotton; no artificial fibres of any kind are used in the weaving or sewing of this product. (For more information on cotton) - http://www.supima.com/faq/index.htm

The first material used to produce Microfiber was a combination of two DuPont fibres, polyester and polyamide, which is used as the core and polyester as the outer fibre, No matter how soft it feels polyester, being a plastic will scratch a paint surface on a microscopic level, which show up as towelling marks, which are longer scratches than the usual small swirl marks or micro marring, to check for polyester content see burn test

Keep in mind that the nature of this yarn is that it is an adsorbent; the reason polyester appears to absorb liquids is the many thousands of micro-fibres that collectively are encapsulating a lot of water. Once they become coated with detergent, polish or fabric softener, etc they loose there ability to be an absorbent.

The smaller the diameter of the yarn, the softer the fabric will feel, however this does not mean that its non-abrasive and will not cause scratches (this softness can also be chemically induced) Most Microfiber that originates from Asia and the Far East is fabricated from polyester or nylon by-products. Because the label says Microfiber is no assurance that the material is safe to use or that it is non-abrasive.

The most important criteria for any fabric used on a vehicle surface is its quality and scratch resistance.
Natural cellulose can be spun with long staple cotton and then woven into 100% natural looped terrycloth or velour, were the loops are trimmed to produce a fine nap (ideal for glass cleaning). This is very soft, absorbent, and non-abrasive and will not cause scratching. Once this type of fabric is washed two or three times, to remove any short fibres it will not leave a lint trail.

The principal structural chemical in cotton, wood, and most other plants is actually cellulose consisting of many small molecules linked together (monomers) in a chain or lattice like structure; both linen and cotton are natural plant fibres. Quality towels edge bindings are sewn with cotton thread, not polyester.

Regardless of material type or quality, a dirty micro fibre, or a 100% Cotton towel will scratch, Micro fibre has attractant properties, that is dirt, dust, and various other substances cling to it, which is one of the reasons that it works so well, but it is also a reason why you need to be extra careful when using towels on your paint

To ensure your towels and buffing clothes provide long-term use, wash them frequently in a liquid soap (Micro Restore) in hot (120oF<) water, add a teaspoon per towel distilled white vinegar, the vinegar doesn't coat the fibres but instead works to eliminate detergent residue and finally a thorough cold rinse. Always wash micro fibre separately and only with other micro fibre fabrics

A couple of ***8216;non-scientific tests***8217; you could use to assimilate wither or not a towel will cause scratches, they are not at all scientific nor 100% accurate, they are only indicative of what the towel may do to your paint surface, but then which is preferable to scratch a CD or your paint surface? Ensure the towels have been washed before carrying out these ***8216;tests***8217;.

If the towel does scratch the CD***8217;s surface that doesn***8217;t necessarily mean that it will scratch the vehicles paint, a CD has a much softer surface so use caution, initially trying an inconspicuous area

1) CD Scratch Test- with a micro fibre cloth, using medium to heavy pressure rub the data surface of a CD. If no scratching is evident then it probably won***8217;t scratch the vehicles paint surface, be aware that the bindings can also cause scratching. On first use of a towel use it on an inconspicuous area first.

2) Burn Test- to test a material for polyester content, light a thread, if it emits a black wisp of smoke and then shrivels up into a black hard ball, its polyester and will probably scratch your paint.

Information resource-DF Alpine***8482; (http://www.dftowel.com ) Autogeek (http://www.autogeek.net/leabmi.html)