PDA

View Full Version : Cracked Z3 Dash "Cover" Strip

wildag
11-03-2006, 08:32 AM
Howdy guys. The dash "Cover" strip under the windshield of my Z3 is cracked. Its number 21 in this link diagram from RealOem:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=CN53&mospid=48096&btnr=51_4082&hg=51&fg=30

I tried prying the little covers up, but was unsucessful because I didn't want to crack anythingelse.

Anyone know what it takes to replace this strip? :dunno:

Thanks! :thumbup:

JonM
11-03-2006, 08:43 AM
I didn't realize that was a separate part. If it is, it is not on cars with extended leather or on M cars. I have had part 1 out of the car. It comes out as one whole unit. The 3 round caps at the bottom of the windshield glass with pop out and there are screws underneath. You should be able to get those out without too mcuh trouble. Then look again to verify you have a part 21 on your car. I think BMW added that when they changed from painted plastic to vinyl covered I-panels.

wildag
11-03-2006, 09:01 AM
Yea, it doesn't make much sense that that part would exist, unless there's a bunch of moving and streching that goes on in that area and BMW didn't want people to pay for a whole new dash because one little part in the front broke.

JonM
11-03-2006, 09:05 AM
If no one knows for sure (after a few days), in cases like this, I usually order the part. When you get the new one, you can look at it and usually figure out how it attaches to the car. Then start wrenching on your old one.

RichF
08-28-2008, 03:08 PM
This is a really old thread, but I just discovered it, as I have exactly the same problem (cracked part #21) on my 2000 Z3. I was able to easily remove the center cracked portion that was held in by the center screw, but the two sides seemed to have some resistance and I didn't want to break part 21 further. I was hoping to get all three pieces out, glue them back together somehow, and reinstall. Perhaps that is a bad idea, and ordering replacement part is the way to go.
If someone knows the secret to removing part 21 without further damaging it, pleeeez let me know!
Rich

02Z3COUPE
08-29-2008, 05:23 AM
I had a 2000 roadster that had the same problem. I hit a ledge in the pavement, squarely with both front wheels at about 20mph and #21 cracked in 2 places. Straight back from the windshield to the dash. I did not have the chance to fix as the car was totalled soon thereafter. I was thinking it would've been easier to fix by removing the windshield first. Conv bodies tend to have flex and it would seem that the Z3's like to flex at this spot.

RichF
09-22-2008, 07:57 PM
Well, I just learned that part 21 has screws from the top AND the bottom. I had asked my BMW shop to order the part and replace it for me, and they can't do it without taking the whole dashboard apart, which is prohibitively expensive. No go. I guess my next thought is that perhaps I should put some sort of dash cover on the entire dash. If it covered that unsightly broken part, perhaps it would be a mildly disappointing but workable resolution. Any recommendations on dash covers?

wildag
05-19-2009, 09:53 PM
I'm back to looking at this problem. The bentley manual says that the entire dash can be removed by first removing these

- passenger air bag
- glove box
- steering wheel
- steering column stems
- headlight knob
- the driver's side kick panel

wow.

GBimmer
05-20-2009, 05:58 AM
I'm back to looking at this problem. The bentley manual says that the entire dash can be removed by first removing these

- passenger air bag
- glove box
- steering wheel
- steering column stems
- headlight knob
- the driver's side kick panel

wow.

...that's only about 2 days worth of work.... :dunno:

morrieschoice
05-20-2009, 06:56 PM
Hey Wildag

I have removed my glovebox twice...just recently so that an a/c leak can be found...think it could be the expansion valve...which requires the removal of the glove box to gain access to it...won't know until I take it back to the garage to see where the dye is leaking. Anyway, it's not tooooo...difficult. Don't know about the dash, but if you decide to tackle the job, PLEASE keep me posted, because I have some extended leather issues on the dash and unfortunately removing the dash is the ONLY way to have the leather replaced...yuck!!:cry: