PDA

View Full Version : How to remove Warning sticker on sunvisor?

Supr7
11-10-2006, 11:17 AM
Help! I really hate the garish yellow and orange airbag warning stickers on the sunvisors of my new 328i. How can I get them off without damaging the visor fabric? They use some very tenacious glue or adhesive that I can't seem to get under. :mad:

dboy11
11-10-2006, 11:51 AM
Help! I really hate the garish yellow and orange airbag warning stickers on the sunvisors of my new 328i. How can I get them off without damaging the visor fabric? They use some very tenacious glue or adhesive that I can't seem to get under. :mad:

Well unfortunately there is nothing that you can do without marring up the finish...I've been asked this many times by customers on details that I have done...tried heat gun that loosens up the glue but then if there is to much heat it burns and bubbles up and the mars the finish...if you can get the sticker to lift then you have the glue residue left and getting that off with out lifting the color is another thing...one thing that might work is to have it colored by a pro...that would mask it but not take it off...sorry wish I had an answer because I would do it on mine

stream
11-10-2006, 01:12 PM

Here's how I removed them from my 545i--I assume it would work on your car, but can't be certain:

I removed those ugly airbag warning stickers from my sun visors using the instructions below. Very easy, just need to be patient and not apply too much acetone at a time. You canít tell the stickers were ever there, except on the first one I did, I ended up slightly scratching the surface on one area, because my exacto knife blade was brand new and it was so sharp that just trying to rub the sticker off caused a slight bit of damageónothing that anybody would really notice. Use the unsharpened edge of the blade to peel up the sticker.

Supplies: torx screwdriver, a pencil type exacto knife with a fine-tip blade, pure acetone, an old toothbrush, and a shot glass.

Remove the visors, unsnap the cover over the pivot arm screw, and use a torx bit to remove the screw. Unsnap the electrical connector, and remove the visor from the car.

Set the visor up on a table, label up, with newspaper underneath in case you spill the acetone. Use surgical latex gloves to protect the skin. Pour a bit of the acetone into a small glass (I used a shot glass).

Put on eye protection. Dip the end of the toothbrush into the acetone, and position the tip of the knife under the corner of the label. Touch the end of the toothbrush to the label corner where the knife is, and gently slide the knife under the label.

The key thing here is patience, and don't use too much acetone. You just need a tiny bit on the toothbrush, and it will soak through the label. Gently slide the knife under the label as it frees up, and continue the process until you have separated a large piece of the label from the visor. Just pull the excess off, and repeat the process at another corner. Eventually, you'll have removed the entire label.

The fabric will be puckered a bit because its wet, but it will smooth out when it dries. You'll still see an imprint of where the label was. I took the toothbrush with a little acetone, and GENTLY brushed the edges of the imprint. I repeated this brushing technique to eliminate any remaining traces of the label. Just be patient, don't use too much acetone, or brush too hard, and be careful not to splash any in the eyes.

Eurocar
11-10-2006, 01:33 PM
Been wondering about this too.

I removed the labels on my E46 convertible with GoofOff using the technigue described. The E46 visor had a smooth finish.

I now have an E90 330xi and the visor covering has a fabric looking finish. I assume the fabricy finish is fake but it's textured nonetheless so I've been afraid to attempt the removal process.

What material is used on the 545?

dboy11
11-10-2006, 02:31 PM
I did some research on the deatail site that I post at and it was said that Goofoff will take them off...here is what was written to me

It was the first thing I did when I got my car. Here is a post that might help you.
"I removed my visor airbag warnings with goof off. It worked like a champ. Just put goof off on a cotton ball or cue tip and rub it on the sticker, a small section at a time. When the sticker wrinkles up it can be peeled off."

I've not tried this but will give it a shot on my BMW to see what it dose can't look any worse than that butt ugly sticker that's on there now

Bill-SD
11-10-2006, 08:24 PM
I did some research on the deatail site that I post at and it was said that Goofoff will take them off...here is what was written to me

It was the first thing I did when I got my car. Here is a post that might help you.
"I removed my visor airbag warnings with goof off. It worked like a champ. Just put goof off on a cotton ball or cue tip and rub it on the sticker, a small section at a time. When the sticker wrinkles up it can be peeled off."

I've not tried this but will give it a shot on my BMW to see what it dose can't look any worse than that butt ugly sticker that's on there now

It will work :thumbup:

stream
11-11-2006, 07:39 AM
Been wondering about this too.

I removed the labels on my E46 convertible with GoofOff using the technigue described. The E46 visor had a smooth finish.

I now have an E90 330xi and the visor covering has a fabric looking finish. I assume the fabricy finish is fake but it's textured nonetheless so I've been afraid to attempt the removal process.

What material is used on the 545?

The sun visors are covered with the same material as the A pillars and headliner--some sort of synthetic fabric.

On my Carreras I used denatured alcohol, and then Goof Off to remove the residue, but those visors were smooth vinyl. I think with the textured finish visors, acetone is the way to go--it does a great job of removing the stickers and any residue.

Eurocar
11-12-2006, 10:02 AM
The sun visors are covered with the same material as the A pillars and headliner--some sort of synthetic fabric.

On my Carreras I used denatured alcohol, and then Goof Off to remove the residue, but those visors were smooth vinyl. I think with the textured finish visors, acetone is the way to go--it does a great job of removing the stickers and any residue.

Thanks. I've wondered if Canadian a/o European version cars' visors have the warning labels. Anyone know right off?

stream
11-12-2006, 11:39 AM
Thanks. I've wondered if Canadian a/o European version cars' visors have the warning labels. Anyone know right off?

The warning stickers are a US gov't requirement. You can buy ROW visors on the web that don't have them. BMW sells the same version car in US and Canada (that's why we can turn off and on our DRLs, because the must be on always in Canada), so I wouldn't be surprised if BMWs in Canada have the stickers.

Gran Turismo
11-12-2006, 12:56 PM
Thanks. I've wondered if Canadian a/o European version cars' visors have the warning labels. Anyone know right off?Nothing on the visors here. Just a small transparent sticker at the top of the windscreen on the passenger side which was very easy to remove.

Locksmythe
11-12-2006, 07:44 PM
So then that begs the question, how do we order canadian visors?

stream
11-12-2006, 09:19 PM
So then that begs the question, how do we order canadian visors?

The sticker removal process is pretty simple--why bother spending a couple hundred dollars on new visors?

Locksmythe
11-13-2006, 09:09 AM
The sticker removal process is pretty simple--why bother spending a couple hundred dollars on new visors?

because you can't put peeled stickers back on when you sell the car.

Dave 330i
11-13-2006, 09:26 AM
And, besides losing thousands of dollars for modifying a stock car, crazy suing people may make you liable for accidents. The cheap option is covering them up aesthetically :rolleyes:

stream
11-13-2006, 09:55 AM
Even in our litigious society, I seriously doubt there's any liability in selling a car that has the stickers removed. My understanding is the stickers have to be there when the car is sold as new by a dealer (just like the "content" label on a mattress;) ).

Locksmythe
11-13-2006, 10:22 AM
If that were all that was required they would be easier to remove, don't you think?

BmW745On19's
11-13-2006, 12:45 PM
If that were all that was required they would be easier to remove, don't you think?

Most warning stickers on the car when it is sold are easy to remove, the Airbag warning stickers everywhere on the dash come off very easy, some are even just tags hanging from the mirror or glove box. Just, these on the mirrors are more permanent to remind people the dangers of airbags to cover their ass because all these retards decide to sue the car makers when they let their kids sit in the front seat under age and unrestrained.

Supr7
11-14-2006, 10:57 AM
Thanks to all for the tips. Here's what worked. I didn't have any acetone laying around but I did have some isopropyl alcohol. I tried a Q-tip first on a corner and it seemed to work, so I then soaked a paper towel folded to about the same size as the sticker and held it on the sticker for a couple of minutes to soften it up. Then, Q-tip in hand to keep the edges wet, I worked the sticker off with my fingernail (very gently). It didn't take long once I got the finesse. No residue, not stain. Perfect!