PDA

View Full Version : Removing state/county decals from tinted windshield?

Locksmythe
11-15-2006, 06:13 PM
I have never tinted my windows before and am curious how one deals with removing the registration and tax stickers that must be displayed on the lower windshield.

Usually the state one gets changed by the inspector with a razor blade. Sure doesn't seem like a good idea to put a razor to tint film.

I tried google and searching the forums but couldn't find any useful info.

BmW745On19's
11-15-2006, 06:22 PM
Be very very careful I guess.

Cliff
11-15-2006, 06:28 PM
Tint laws for DC say that windshields and front windows have to transmit 70% of light. That's basically no tint beyond that already found in the glass as it comes from the manufacturer. My guess would be that the inspector will write you a fix-it ticket, and once the tint has been removed, the inspection sticker will be a lot easier to deal with.

http://www.tintdude.com/atoh.html

Locksmythe
11-15-2006, 06:45 PM
Oh, I actually live in VA and the car would have to adhere to VA law.

Cliff
11-15-2006, 06:48 PM
Oh, I actually live in VA and the car would have to adhere to VA law.

Then you're worse off - tint is not legal on any windows.

http://www.tintdude.com/ptow.html

Locksmythe
11-15-2006, 10:19 PM
Oh, well, you aren't quite right about that, but apparently no tint is allowed on the windshield, so my question is moot.

It is pretty annoying though since I am most concerned about cutting glare from the front.

Locksmythe
11-15-2006, 10:42 PM
Gah, the more I think about it, the more furious it makes me. I custom ordered the car, and at the last minute removed the rear/side shades because I thought I could get 50% tint on all windows and achieve a better look and more effective sun shading all around. I really don't like seeing cars with different levels of tint, particularly the totally clear front windshield and dark sides.

Perhaps I will have to do something like 70% on the sides and back.

Mr. The Edge
11-15-2006, 11:07 PM
70% = no tint

Locksmythe
11-16-2006, 06:42 AM
How do you figure? I thought factory tint level was 92%. And that is with no UV block.