PDA

View Full Version : New Paint and Road Trip

VaE39
11-18-2006, 01:48 PM
I just got my front and rear bumpers installed so the paint is about a week old. But now I have drive my car from Richmond Virginia to NYC next week. I was thinking about getting painters tape but Im not sure if it will be ok to put on the new paint. What do you guys think? Any suggestions?

TOGWT
11-20-2006, 02:09 AM
On repainted vehicles, paint must be thoroughly dry and completely cured before any attempt to apply film to the vehicle is made, in order to avoid film bubbling due to paint outgassing. Check paint manufacturer's instructions for recommended cure time and method.

dboy11
11-20-2006, 07:29 AM
I just got my front and rear bumpers installed so the paint is about a week old. But now I have drive my car from Richmond Virginia to NYC next week. I was thinking about getting painters tape but Im not sure if it will be ok to put on the new paint. What do you guys think? Any suggestions?

Call the place that painted your car to make sure, but as a rule before applying anything to the paint, wax, polish, etc you should wait about 90 days.

The people painted the car would be the best choice for you IMO

Locksmythe
11-21-2006, 03:47 PM
That's crazy talk! Are you supposed to put your new car in a garage for 3 months before you take it out? Or drive totally unprotected and take road damage before you can do anything to prevent it?

dboy11
11-21-2006, 03:57 PM
That's crazy talk! Are you supposed to put your new car in a garage for 3 months before you take it out? Or drive totally unprotected and take road damage before you can do anything to prevent it?

Its not what I said at all you can use body shop safe products Meguiars hand and machine glaze is one..3M imperial hand glaze is another, chemical based polishes. They offer up some protection during the curing times...what you are not wanting to do on fresh paint is seal it with wax or sealant or the likes of that, while the solvents are releasing from the paint...My suggestion about calling the place that painted I stick by, who knows what type of painted they used...they might have even used a accelerator as a harder and he is good to go with anything at this point.

Locksmythe
11-21-2006, 04:13 PM
I'll have to look at those products then. I was planning to put a clear bra on to a new car as soon as it arrives. Perhaps an ill conceived plan.

dboy11
11-21-2006, 04:16 PM
I'll have to look at those products then. I was planning to put a clear bra on to a new car as soon as it arrives. Perhaps an ill conceived plan.

Yea your going to want to wait for the paint to cure...before applying that clear bra...after that I would go for it

laidback
11-21-2006, 11:15 PM
Yea your going to want to wait for the paint to cure...before applying that clear bra...after that I would go for it

+1 as i had my hood and front bumper done by premier mobile grp...i had to wait atleast 30 days...and also if the painted part was baked the curing time would be less...

TOGWT
11-22-2006, 10:47 AM

We may be comparing apples with oranges here-

A RE-PAINTED surface sould not have a clear bra installed until the paint has cured.

A NEW Vehicle's paint was placed in an oven and the paint was cured before it left the car mfg plant

Locksmythe
11-22-2006, 11:17 AM
Yeah, but I have a VPC-installed M-aero kit, so who knows how they prepare that new bumper? I agree on the rest of the car.