PDA

View Full Version : Recurring "TPM malfunction" problem

tuonoR
11-20-2006, 10:16 PM
My 2007 550i gives me a "TPM Malfunction" (Tire Pressure Monitor Malfunction) in the iDrive screen once or twice a day then goes off after 20 mins. Minor annoyance but growing into a major one given none of the local service centers can figure it out.

Have had the car in for this problem 3 times at 2 different dealerships, the service techs haven't been able to replicate it. They claim they can't do anything unless I can get the car to them with the light still on (picture on my camera phone ain't enough). Given that its typically only on for 20 mins at a time this is obviously not a realistic solution.

I'm going to contact BMWNA to work the problem from that end but figured I'd check to see how many others were having the same problem. I've seen it mentioned in a few bimmerfest threads (one post had the light coming on when they hit bumps, another when the car exceeded 75mph).

If anyone has had this problem and actually managed to get a dealer to fix it, all the better--let me know!

Thanks in advance...

StevOL
11-20-2006, 10:36 PM
You might want to have them check the tire pressure on all four tires then reset the TPM. It happened to my M3 before and they found out that the tire pressure on the front are different from the rear. That's because they replaced my rear tires and have put the wrong tire pressure. Not sure if it's the same problem but won't hurt to try.

ademitt
11-21-2006, 06:44 AM
I have a similar prblem except mine is a FTM system malfunction. Only occurs at speed (over 50 mph) and only after driving for more than 20 minutes at speed. Once you stop and get out of the car, it resets itself.

Dealer told me of a SIB on the problem and reprogramed the module. No change.

If you go to your vehicle settings Menu in idrive, are you able to reset the TPM? I follow the procedures in the manual and I cannot get the screen to move past "Initialising".

I am scheduled to go in for this item in two weeks. The dealer here seems to be at a complete loss to explain the problem. BTW, a fault was stored in the computer indicating that a malfuntion warning was registered. No specifics beyond the warning were stored however.

BMWNA
11-28-2006, 08:36 AM
My 2007 550i gives me a "TPM Malfunction" (Tire Pressure Monitor Malfunction) in the iDrive screen once or twice a day then goes off after 20 mins. Minor annoyance but growing into a major one given none of the local service centers can figure it out.

Have had the car in for this problem 3 times at 2 different dealerships, the service techs haven't been able to replicate it. They claim they can't do anything unless I can get the car to them with the light still on (picture on my camera phone ain't enough). Given that its typically only on for 20 mins at a time this is obviously not a realistic solution.

I'm going to contact BMWNA to work the problem from that end but figured I'd check to see how many others were having the same problem. I've seen it mentioned in a few bimmerfest threads (one post had the light coming on when they hit bumps, another when the car exceeded 75mph).

If anyone has had this problem and actually managed to get a dealer to fix it, all the better--let me know!

Thanks in advance...

I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. I've passed this message on to a BMW NA Customer Relations Representative who will be in touch with you soon.

blacke60
12-07-2006, 12:55 AM

Thanks in advance...

I have the same problem too, hope they can find a way to fit it.

vern
12-07-2006, 06:37 AM
[QUOTE=ademitt;2031188]

If you go to your vehicle settings Menu in idrive, are you able to reset the TPM? I follow the procedures in the manual and I cannot get the screen to move past "Initialising".
Had the same problem since day one. Status Active would never come up on the screen.I had the car in for service last week and they up graded the soft ware to 23.02.01 now every thing is fine. Good luck
cheers
vern

fangliang
01-27-2009, 09:47 AM
I just had TPM problem again. It happened last year 2 month after I picked up the car. I brought to the dealer, they replaced one of the sensors under warranty. But as of last week, same thing started happen again. TPM Malfunction shows up every time the car starts rolling, and goes away after 10 miles or so. Made an appointment next week hopw then can completely eliminate the problem. I do not want to have such problem every year.

FitzLA
01-27-2009, 09:57 AM
Have the tires be switched out? I have been told that if you switch the tires out with different tires, this can cause a constant malfuction problem. They must be approved tires. That's what my dealer told me when I inquired about winter tires.

fangliang
01-27-2009, 10:10 AM
the tires are all original that came with the car, mine is 08 528XI. It has 15000miles for now. The tires had never been touched.

tadbid
02-04-2009, 01:34 PM
Had the TPM malfunction on the 2007 530i. It was diagnosed as the TPM module malfunction which is apparently located beneath the spare tire in the trunk. My fault though. Got soaked from the car washing fluid I had in the trunk. The module was replaced last week but the fault message came back once I left the workshop. So I am still driving with the problem.

SpartanGA
02-05-2009, 05:41 AM
Is it malfunctioning or just saying you have a low tire?

We had an issue where it said a tire was low, but it was because it was a very cold day and the pressure in the tire was already at the low side of spec and the low temp dropped it out of spec.

We now have a 550i and the front/rear tire pressures are NOT supposed to be the same. It should not matter, the sensor resets itself based on the pressure of each tire and if you get lower by a certain %, it signals the warning.

If it says malfunctioning as the error, I have no idea.

dalangi
05-08-2009, 12:47 PM
Tadbit:
How much did that cost you? They are tellig me the same thing except I never spilled anything in the truck. THere is a techinical service bulletin issued by BMW stating that water gets into the trunk...i guess that means the gaskets are faulty or something. What was your bill in case my warranty doesnt cover it?

jesimmons
05-08-2009, 01:02 PM
Had a similar problem with a '08 Volvo. TPM would come on after driving at 55 MPH for about 5 miles, but would reset itself and operate normally with no warnings at lower speeds after turning the vehicle off and back on. At first, dealer said I needed to run higher pressure than vehicle owner manual recommended. I did, but it had no effect.

After a several days of diagnosis work, it was traced to a defective TPM sending unit in one wheel and replaced under warranty. No issues since. I suspect it could be a similar issue in your case.. A sending unit with intermittent failure issues.

djfitter
05-08-2009, 01:04 PM
Have the tires be switched out? I have been told that if you switch the tires out with different tires, this can cause a constant malfuction problem. They must be approved tires. That's what my dealer told me when I inquired about winter tires.

Is it malfunctioning or just saying you have a low tire?

We had an issue where it said a tire was low, but it was because it was a very cold day and the pressure in the tire was already at the low side of spec and the low temp dropped it out of spec.

We now have a 550i and the front/rear tire pressures are NOT supposed to be the same. It should not matter, the sensor resets itself based on the pressure of each tire and if you get lower by a certain %, it signals the warning.

If it says malfunctioning as the error, I have no idea.

The sensors don't know what kind of tires you have. :D
Maybe he meant if you switch out the rims, you need the proper sensors. :dunno:

As smithsonga said, the TPMS works from a baseline, that you set when you initialize the system. If it falls blow that by app. 10% you get the warning. You could set all 4 tires at a different # and 'initialize the system' and it wouldn't care. So set them all "properly", and check them at least monthly with a pressure gauge. :thumbup:

dj

Paul Pierre
05-11-2009, 06:07 AM
I ended up paying about $800 cdn for the new module. Same washer fluid problem zapped mine. Fixed the TPM warning but now I'm getting low battery warnings

badgerbob
11-16-2009, 05:09 PM
I am having the exact same problem, it always says system initializing on start up and after driving some distance it apprears as TPMS Malfunction. I have had the sensors checked at a dealer and all four are producing proper signal. When I had tires replaced I thought it was interesting they noted I did not have a sensor in the spare, although I do not know if one is required for the system to read and work properly. Any assistance would be appreciated.

M3This
12-02-2011, 03:19 PM
Hey guys sorry to bump a old thread but Im having this issue as well.

I recently changed wheels but and reusing the same tires and TPMS as before. I get the error about 5min into driving and then rest set it using the iDrive and it pops back up 5 min later.

I took the car to discount tire as I figured they messed up a sensor when installing the tires and moving the sensors over to the new wheels. They scanned each sensor and it showed they where reading but for some reason both the front and rear on the passenger side where showing up as the same wheel:confused: ... so the car was thinking both wheels on the passenger side where 1 wheel.

Anyone have any ideas why that would happen? is it a issue with the car or the sensors?

crewzer
12-02-2011, 06:10 PM
Anyone have any ideas why that would happen? is it a issue with the car or the sensors?

Neither; it's a simple illustration of the Ideal Gas Law. Everything else being equal, as ambient temperature falls in the autumn and winter, the tires' air (gas) pressure will fall as well. A general rule of thumb is to expect a 1 psi drop in tire pressure for every 10F drop in ambient temperature.

The solution is to make sure your car's tires are properly inflated. It's best to check early in the morning. If the cold tire pressure is checked in a garage, which is usually warmer than ambient in the winter, then you need to adjust tire pressure to compensate for the difference between garage temp and outdoor ambient temp.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

M3This
12-02-2011, 11:15 PM
Neither; it's a simple illustration of the Ideal Gas Law. Everything else being equal, as ambient temperature falls in the autumn and winter, the tires' air (gas) pressure will fall as well. A general rule of thumb is to expect a 1 psi drop in tire pressure for every 10F drop in ambient temperature.

The solution is to make sure your car's tires are properly inflated. It's best to check early in the morning. If the cold tire pressure is checked in a garage, which is usually warmer than ambient in the winter, then you need to adjust tire pressure to compensate for the difference between garage temp and outdoor ambient temp.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

Jim thanks for the reply but its not the pressure. All tires are 40psi and the car is parked outside for the night not indoors. After driving all tire pressures raise about 5psi to 45psi.

The problem lies with something in the electronics as the two sensors are reading as the same sensor as this is what discount tire told me after scanning each sensor. Its either 1) the sensor in one of those wheels isn't holding programing or 2) the electronics on the car are not properly sending the signal to the TPMS sensors.

TRS550
12-03-2011, 03:09 AM
Sensors will die with old age. Life span seems to be 5-7 years. My 2007 (at least 5 and close to 6 year old sensors) has at least 1 problematic sensor on my summer tire setup. As soon as I went to my winter tire setup, (different wheels and sensors) all of my "occasional" TPMS warnings went away.

crewzer
12-03-2011, 05:56 AM
Jim thanks for the reply but its not the pressure. All tires are 40psi and the car is parked outside for the night not indoors. After driving all tire pressures raise about 5psi to 45psi.

The problem lies with something in the electronics as the two sensors are reading as the same sensor as this is what discount tire told me after scanning each sensor. Its either 1) the sensor in one of those wheels isn't holding programing or 2) the electronics on the car are not properly sending the signal to the TPMS sensors.

Interesting! Is your car equipped with the FTM system or the TPMS?

Thx,
Jim / crewzer