PDA

View Full Version : clay bar vs paint cleaner

MCBeemer
11-23-2006, 09:17 PM
This may be a dumb question.

What is a stronger treatment: a clay bar or a paint cleaner like Meguiars Deep Crystal Painter Cleaner?

I am planning to use the paint cleaner before applying AIO and SG, because I think it will be quicker than a clay bar.

Thanks

BmW745On19's
11-23-2006, 09:29 PM
you should use both, they do different jobs. Paint cleaner removes swirls and crap I think, clay removes surface contaminates like tree sap and bugs.

TOGWT
11-24-2006, 06:12 AM
Two similar products but using a differing approach to paint surface cleaning, Detailer's clay removes below surfacecontaminates whereas a Cleaner wax removes surface contaminates-

Detailers Clay:
Regardless of how clean you think your paint is there are still contaminants stuck on the paint that you need to remove before pre-wax cleaning, polishing or applying a protection to your paint film surface.
First used by Japanese auto manufacturers the technology was passed on to the US market in the late ***8216;90***8217;s. Detailing clay bars, are actually a malleable plastic that allows the bar to be kneaded.

Clay is not a replacement for polish or a compound; it is a mildly abrasive surface cleaner, with an average particle size of 1- micron (dependant on aggressiveness) of Kaolin abrasives that polishes and exfoliates contaminants by shearing and / or encapsulation, to remove embedded pollutants and abrades the debris from the paint film surface leaving behind an ultra-smooth surface that will make your paint protection adhere better and improve its durability. Most manufacturers colorize the plastic to identify differing abrasive strengths (i.e. Clay Magic Blue is a fine abrasive, whereas the Red is a medium abrasive) It is also very effective on paint over-spray, if the over-spray is particularly heavy, you may want to seek the assistance of a professional.

a) Fine- clay that abrades or shears light surface or imbedded paint contamination and encapsulates it.
b) Medium- clay that is used to remove heavier surface contaminants (bird excrement and bug reside) it is slightly more abrasive than the fine grade and abrades the paint surface, while the clay encapsulates it
c) Medium to Heavy duty- clay that is used to remove paint over-spray; it contains a slightly stronger abrasive that abrades the paint, while the clay encapsulates it

Cleaner Wax:
Cleaner wax or pre-wax cleaners are usually a mildly abrasive (CAS 1/10) liquid polish containing solvents for cleaning and usually use Kaolin or China clay as aits abrasive, it will remove surface contamination from the paint film surface that either normal washing or using detailer***8217;s clay alone will not remove. Cleaning and waxing combination products have a history of either cleaning or waxing but not doing both very well. They offer little in the way of surface protection, as they are formulated with a high percentage of solvents (Autoglym Ultra Deep Shine, Zymol Cleaner Wax)