PDA

View Full Version : No tire rotation with free maintenance?

Jeff_DML
12-18-2002, 09:36 AM
My dealer will not rotate my tires without charging me. He said BMW does not count tire rotation as normal maintenance. Is this true?

If so I cant believe how cheap BMW is:thumbdwn:

TIA

Jeff

The HACK
12-18-2002, 09:49 AM
Cheap? BMW implicitly STATES in owners manuals that you're not suppose to rotate the tires, period...Why then would they INCLUDE tire rotation in their maintenance contract to contradict themselves?

The whole maintenance contract is just a marketing tool anyway...The only way for you to really benefit from that maintenance contract is if you BEAT the cr@p out of your car.

Fripp64
12-18-2002, 09:50 AM
If you read your owners manual BMW actually doesn't recommend rotation.
At least that's what it says in mine....so I could see why they don't want to pay for it per the manufacturer.

Jon:thumbup:

Jeff_DML
12-18-2002, 09:52 AM
.Originally posted by The HACK
Cheap? BMW implicitly STATES in owners manuals that you're not suppose to rotate the tires, period...Why then would they INCLUDE tire rotation in their maintenance contract to contradict themselves?

The whole maintenance contract is just a marketing tool anyway...The only way for you to really benefit from that maintenance contract is if you BEAT the cr@p out of your car.

My dealer didnt tell me that. How come? Our wagon has same sized tires front/back, 225/45r17. BMWs are not that balanced not to need tire rotation.

3 auto-x and 3 track days in less then a year:dunno:

Jeff_DML
12-18-2002, 09:53 AM
By the way, I RTFM but it was awhile ago:D

Kaz
12-18-2002, 09:58 AM
I believe BMW doesn't recommend rotation due to the totally different ways the front and rear tires wear. OK, that's usually a reason FOR rotation, but my guess is that swapping the tires around with these different wear patterns may cause handling and stability issues, especially at Autobahn speeds.

IIRC the normal wear patterns on a E46 are outside edge on the fronts and middle and inside edge on rears. This seems to jive with what I see on my tires.

But nobody says you can't jack the car up yourself and rotate em.

Jeff_DML
12-18-2002, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by Kaz
I believe BMW doesn't recommend rotation due to the totally different ways the front and rear tires wear. OK, that's usually a reason FOR rotation, but my guess is that swapping the tires around with these different wear patterns may cause handling and stability issues, especially at Autobahn speeds.

IIRC the normal wear patterns on a E46 are outside edge on the fronts and middle and inside edge on rears. This seems to jive with what I see on my tires.

But nobody says you can't jack the car up yourself and rotate em.

that what I am planning on doing but I would rather have the dealer do it.

I got to change my oil in my A4, rather not have to jack up 2 cars.

Jeff_DML
12-18-2002, 10:02 AM
So what does everyone else do here with same offset tires? Do not rotate them?

thx

Kaz
12-18-2002, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Jeff_DML
that what I am planning on doing but I would rather have the dealer do it.

As already mentioned, the dealer isn't going to do for free something the manufacturer says not to.

Fripp64
12-18-2002, 10:07 AM
I stick to what the manufacturer says...they don't pull this stuff out of the air and stick it in the book unless it has a purpose.

My 2 cents-- "No rotation"

In fact, I just replaced my 4 tires with new Potenza 950s and the Firestone manager said that the tires had worn nice and evenly.
He was suprised they didn't recommend rotation when he asked if I wanted to "pay" for the "free" lifetime rotation:lmao:

He said, 'Do what they say, they're the experts!"

Jon:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Jeff_DML
12-18-2002, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by Fripp64
I stick to what the manufacturer says...they don't pull this stuff out of the air and stick it in the book unless it has a purpose.

My 2 cents-- "No rotation"

In fact, I just replaced my 4 tires with new Potenza 950s and the Firestone manager said that the tires had worn nice and evenly.
He was suprised they didn't recommend rotation when he asked if I wanted to "pay" for the "free" lifetime rotation:lmao:

He said, 'Do what they say, they're the experts!"

Jon:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

thanks

pps-325xit
12-18-2002, 10:16 AM
I've never rotated tired, even on my previous FWD car. On the FWD car, I'd go 45k miles on the fronts and 85-90k miles on the rear, hence changing only 6 tires every 90k miles instead of 8. I'm seeing pretty even wear on my AWD wagon with the stock non-SP Contis. :thumbup:

The HACK
12-18-2002, 10:17 AM
So what does everyone else do here with same offset tires? Do not rotate them?

thx

I don't rotate mine.

My tires last about 20,000 miles anyway, and the wear, albeit uneven, rotating them will only save me another 2-3,000 miles at the most. Not worth the effort, especially given the fact that the rear tires wear at about a 2:1 rate anyway.

I'd rather just replace 2 tires at a time rather than 4, and stick with S-03s.

Kaz
12-18-2002, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by pps-325xit
I've never rotated tired, even on my previous FWD car.

I'm just too lazy to bother rotating my tires. :D The fact that I'm running staggered wheels and that BMW says not to do it helps in my laziness.

Jeff_DML
12-18-2002, 10:24 AM
This is sort of funny. No one rotates their tires but they end up replacing 2 at a time. Isnt that the reason for rotating your tires? So you get even wear on all four tires. Sorry to sound like a ass though but I got the crappy Turdanzas so I want to replace all 4 at the same time with better tires.

I will shut up, thanks again.

Jeff

HW
12-18-2002, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by The HACK

agree, and it only covers 2 oil changes over 3 years for me. at least with the audi one, oil change intervals (synthetic as well) was 8Kkm and included everything. the bmw one is very limited. it just looks good on paper.

DaveN323i
12-18-2002, 10:36 AM
This is sort of funny. No one rotates their tires but they end up replacing 2 at a time. Isnt that the reason for rotating your tires? So you get even wear on all four tires. Sorry to sound like a ass though but I got the crappy Turdanzas so I want to replace all 4 at the same time with better tires.

I will shut up, thanks again.

Jeff

I don't rotate the tires, and I do change all four of them.