PDA

View Full Version : Window Fog Forensics

bls
12-18-2002, 11:51 PM
As my never-been-cleaned foggy windows were clearing off this morning, I noticed two stripes where two strips of tape had been stuck on the inside of the passenger-side windshield.

Looking closer, I could see some of what had been written on the paper: "22.10.02" (date of manufacture, I assume), and "43K" (not sure). I'm a little surprised that the dealer prep didn't include an evidence-destroying wipe of the inner window surfaces, but it was interesting to see.

SONET
12-19-2002, 03:11 PM
My car has the same thing. I can make out "43K" "2002" and "US". My passanger side window has a rather large circle on it that also appears when the windows are fogged up. I think it's from the 'suction cup' that they use to put the window in place at the factory. I've tried different glass cleaners and nothing has taken it off. Maybe rubbing alcohol will do it? :dunno:

--SONET

Eugie Baange
12-19-2002, 03:22 PM
As a side note, has anyone else noticed that the E46 seems plagued by *insane* amounts of interior condensation during cool humid days? My gawd... I've never seen anything like it :yikes:

SONET
12-19-2002, 03:32 PM
What gets me is having to run the A/C compressor to dry the air <b>all the time</b> on <50 degree F nights just to keep the windows clear. I've never had a car that had that problem. :dunno:

--SONET

Kaz
12-19-2002, 03:42 PM
I agree, it gets stuffy in there awful quick. Unless the IHK is running, it seems the vents are all shut and there's no natural flow-though unless you lower the windows.

Yesterday afternoon I got in the car and noticed a 2" band of thick condensation along the inside bottom edge of the hatch glass.

325xi-SteelGray
12-19-2002, 07:54 PM
My 325 had a huge image on the passenger side windshield with lots of numbers and German writing. I also had the suction cup marks at the corners. My dealer spoke with the BMW rep who gave approval for a new windshield. The rep didn't even need to see it as he had the same thing on his. Personally, I chose to keep my ghost image windshield, that was, of course, until one of my team mates put a softball through it! :)

mwette
12-19-2002, 08:02 PM
I seem the same image on the passenger side of my 10/02 production 330. I bought some 3M adhesive remover but have not tried on that part yet.

Desertnate
12-20-2002, 03:10 AM
Originally posted by DougDogs
I get "ghosts" on the passenger side of the windshield also! Mine looks like there was a 5" x 6" sticker inside while in transit. I can't make out the number and letters (haven't really tried) but cleaning the window has not removed the "ghost image"

I had the "ghosts" as well and could never get rid of them. However, when I had the windows tinted, it went away. Don't know what they used to pre-clean the window...

Now, since I have had my windshield replaced I have these annoying circles that appear from the suction cups they used. I can't see them when the window is clear, and nothing seems to get rid of them....

RKT BMR
12-20-2002, 05:50 AM
Two words: Glass Polish.

mwette
12-20-2002, 06:01 AM
Originally posted by RKT BMR
Two words: Glass Polish.

That would make sense if the stuff is eched into the glass. But if it is some coating then it makes more sense, to me at least, to remove it.

Is this something on top of the glass or is it eched into the glass?

vlad
12-20-2002, 02:18 PM
How about one of those citrus spray cleaners? I'll bet that works, matter of fact, I was planning on cleaning my foggy glass with it this weekend.

fkafka
07-18-2003, 09:23 AM
Bump:

So what's the consensus on the correct solution for this problem? What have people tried that has worked?

F1Crazy
07-18-2003, 09:33 AM
I recently tried to pick a window tint and without much hesitation I applied samples to my side windows. After removal lots of glue residue was left that I cleaned with adhesive remover, wax and tar remover should work as well. The marks were still there so I attacked it with glass polish and this made most of them disappear. I probably need a second pass to get it clean completely. You can try it, hope it works.

bonrob
07-18-2003, 10:28 AM
Goof Off got mine off

variable42
07-18-2003, 03:01 PM
I've used Zaino's glass polish multiple times on the inside and outside of my windshield and it hasn't removed these "ghost etchings". They don't bother me at all, though.

The Roadstergal
07-18-2003, 06:04 PM
Regarding fogged windows, not etching... the trick my ex taught me was to clean the windows well on the inside, and apply a small amount of liquid soap with a clean dry cloth. 'Buff' it out with another clean dry cloth. No beading, no fogging.

Pinecone
07-19-2003, 01:16 AM
What gets me is having to run the A/C compressor to dry the air <b>all the time</b> on <50 degree F nights just to keep the windows clear. I've never had a car that had that problem. :dunno:

--SONET

Maybe because for most other cars, the A/C compressorcomes on automatically with the defrost function. :)

bimNaround
07-19-2003, 12:32 PM
Regarding fogged windows, not etching... the trick my ex taught me was to clean the windows well on the inside, and apply a small amount of liquid soap with a clean dry cloth. 'Buff' it out with another clean dry cloth. No beading, no fogging.

In SCUBA diving class I learned that there was a commercial product that is available to place on the inside of you mask to help reduce fogging. I can't remember the name because they also said that as an alternative, you could spit in the mask and then lightly rinse out. It seemed to make a difference when I tried it. There is an awful lot of glass area in a car for spitting :p Who knows, maybe it would work :dunno:

SARAFIL
07-19-2003, 05:07 PM
In SCUBA diving class I learned that there was a commercial product that is available to place on the inside of you mask to help reduce fogging. I can't remember the name because they also said that as an alternative, you could spit in the mask and then lightly rinse out. It seemed to make a difference when I tried it. There is an awful lot of glass area in a car for spitting :p Who knows, maybe it would work :dunno:

BMW did alot of warranty windshield replacements on early E46 convertibles because there were marks in the glass that appeared as if a window sticker had been attached to it. People used to complain that they would see words all over the glass when it fogged up. :dunno:

TGray5
07-19-2003, 06:00 PM

Yeap, this will work and is used by racers everywhere to keep their face shields from fogging. There used to be a product that everyone used for this and then someone discovered that the product was just liquid soap...haha...that guy had everyone fooled.
:D

The Roadstergal
07-19-2003, 07:45 PM
Interesting. What kind of liquid soap did you use?
Safeway. The more generic, the better - just the surfactant quality of the soap is needed; no colors, flavors, or lemon scent required.

aka
07-19-2003, 08:56 PM
As my never-been-cleaned foggy windows were clearing off this morning, I noticed two stripes where two strips of tape had been stuck on the inside of the passenger-side windshield.

Looking closer, I could see some of what had been written on the paper: "22.10.02" (date of manufacture, I assume), and "43K" (not sure). I'm a little surprised that the dealer prep didn't include an evidence-destroying wipe of the inner window surfaces, but it was interesting to see.

Ineresting observation. I don't have quite the fog problem that most experience due to the weather in socal. But, I'm going to look for the ghosts in the A.M.
aka