PDA

View Full Version : Tires--thoughts?

JST
12-19-2002, 10:53 AM
My procrastination has caught up with me. After determining that the vibration I've had for 5 or 6 months is in fact the fault of an out-of-round rear tire, I realized that the tire is well out of its warranty for such things. So I need a new tire, and it's on me, not Sumitomo.

Question is this: I've had the rears for about 5 or 6 months, and they have approximately 7/32s of tread left (they start with 11/32s). Should I cheap out and just get one new Sumitomo, or should I get a pair of new tires? Note that I have decided that if I get more than one tire, I'm getting something else, possibly S-03s. But should I get a set of S-03s for the rear, considering that the front Sumis only date to September, and thus are going to be good for quite some time yet?

Decisions...

The HACK
12-19-2002, 11:19 AM
My thoughts...

Always replace in pairs, unless you had to replace 1 BRAND NEW tire.

Don't mix brands. If you're going to get S-03s you should replace all 4. Then replace them one axel at a time with the same brand.

So in that line of logic, I would just replace both the rear with Sumi's and then when both the fronts and rears wear out, and you're feeling adventurous...Switch out to S-03s all around.

JST
12-19-2002, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by The HACK
My thoughts...

Always replace in pairs, unless you had to replace 1 BRAND NEW tire.

Don't mix brands. If you're going to get S-03s you should replace all 4. Then replace them one axel at a time with the same brand.

So in that line of logic, I would just replace both the rear with Sumi's and then when both the fronts and rears wear out, and you're feeling adventurous...Switch out to S-03s all around.

I won't buy anymore Sumitomos (unless it's just one), because this out-of-round BS coupled with my inherent mistrust of off-brand merchandise has completely spoiled the brand for me.

I ran around with Pilot Sports on the front and Sumitomos on the back and had no issues. So long as the tires are comparable in terms of performance, I don't think there'd be a big deal with running different brands. If anything, my concern is that the grippier S-03s would led to an increase in understeer, which is safer but not as fun.

Emission
12-19-2002, 11:48 AM
I've had the HTR-Z II's, and the S-03's, and many, many others.

I never had any problems with my Sumitomo's, but I did have a set of Michelins replaced because they were out of round. I have also had Pirelli's with sidewall issues, and Yokohama's with balance problems.

Don't assume all Sumitomo's are bad. You call them "off-brand." Did you realize they may be a larger tire company than Bridgestone?

Personally, I would replace the one rear (or both rear). Don't mix and match.

Kaz
12-19-2002, 11:58 AM
Over the years, I think I've had/seen the most problems with Pirellis. My family buys a lot of Dunlop and almost never has problems.

And Sumitomo was the former owner of Dunlop before it was sold to Goodyear. They also make Ohtsu heavy-truck tires.

And I don't track my cars but I've mixed tire designs F/R (doing so now) without problems, except not being able to get a good idea of how either kind of tire is supposed to really perform.

JST
12-19-2002, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Emission
I've had the HTR-Z II's, and the S-03's, and many, many others.

I never had any problems with my Sumitomo's, but I did have a set of Michelins replaced because they were out of round. I have also had Pirelli's with sidewall issues, and Yokohama's with balance problems.

Don't assume all Sumitomo's are bad. You call them "off-brand." Did you realize they may be a larger tire company than Bridgestone?

Personally, I would replace the one rear (or both rear). Don't mix and match.

Points taken.

brave1heart
12-19-2002, 12:15 PM
Sumitomo is the 23-largest corporation in the world - bigger than Dow Jones companies like AT&T and Home Depot - see link below.

http://www.fortune.com/fortune/global500

I've had HTR Z II's for 12K miles and I've been very happy with them. I most definitely think that you should replace both rears with another pair of Sumis. If you have 7/32 tread left down from 11/32, that means you've used up about 40% of the tire (assuming you can realistically use another 6/32s down to ~ 1/32). The tire is ~ $100 new, so you are essentially throwing away $100*60%, or $60. See, your decision is much easier now :)

WAM
12-19-2002, 12:23 PM
I replaced my rears when I got an irrepairable puncture.

I had Bridgestone Turanza ER30 OEM's. I fitted Falken Azennis Sports at the rear. These are pretty decent tires I must say, very good levels of grip, good wear, 28.5K currently, may get to 30K before tread is level with the wear bars.

I have had no handling problems. I think as long as you stick to comparable types of tires, you are going to be fine.

The Azenis sports are simply excellent in terms of grip. I have taken my car out to big deserted lots and I must say I have not been able to unstick the rear. These are tires are meant for autocrossing.

I now have 9K on them and they are about 80% worn. At about 7K they developed a tire hum at about 70mph on the highway. I can live with the tire hum as I will be replacing all tires soon anyway.

·clyde·
12-19-2002, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by JST
Should I cheap out and just get one new Sumitomo, or should I get a pair of new tires?

I've never been wild about having different tires (brands or models) on different axles, but have no practical evidence/experience that says it's a bad idea.

An option if you get one Sumi would be to have it shaved to the same depth as the good one. Radial Tire in Silver Spring would be the place I'd go to have it done.

AF
12-19-2002, 02:36 PM
JST,

I agree with all of the above, I had a brand new pathfinder that came with dunlops and all 4 tires were out of round . . . yes that is correct ALL FOUR !!!!

The dealer told me basically it was not their problem and the tire dealers told me the same.

Soi the bill was on me which kinda stunk but it wasn't worth the agg to fight it.

Also, if you can find a person with a used Pilot, I've got one with 8000 miles on it that is a 245/40/17 that you are welcome to have for free . . .

Emission
12-19-2002, 03:14 PM
JST,

Have you tried to have the offending tire remounted? Have both rear tires swapped on their rims (insides out now). That may help with the vibration - if not cure it.

Try this test (everyone). Park your car overnight. Don't move the car. Jack it up in the AM and spin the tire. See the wobble? Most tires go back to round after a few miles at speed. Some never learn.

Serious about re-mounting. Sometimes a bit of the bead doesn't seat just right...

- Mike

Kaz
12-19-2002, 03:23 PM
On my old car I had a wobble in the front end that ultimately was from a slightly warped rotor. Had it resurfaced (was selling it anyhow and it was never surfaced before) and the wobble was all gone!

JST
12-19-2002, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Emission
JST,

Have you tried to have the offending tire remounted? Have both rear tires swapped on their rims (insides out now). That may help with the vibration - if not cure it.

Try this test (everyone). Park your car overnight. Don't move the car. Jack it up in the AM and spin the tire. See the wobble? Most tires go back to round after a few miles at speed. Some never learn.

Serious about re-mounting. Sometimes a bit of the bead doesn't seat just right...

- Mike

It's a good idea, but with Sumis only costing $110 each, it's not worth the hassle of going through it.

Pinecone
12-22-2002, 04:28 PM
Mixing tires front to rear can be OK, but until you really push the car, you don't really know. You become a tire tester.

Back in the old days there was a guy autocrossing in Baltimore that ran a mix of bias belted and radial tires. But he did it so specifically tune the handling of his Datsun Fairlady. Looked strange, but it worked, for him on that car.

In normal driving mixed tires are no big deal. But at the limit, the differences can become huge. Sometimes to the better, sometimes to the worse. And of course, Murphy being around, what ever it does, when youneed the best out of your car, it will do exactly the wrong thing. :p