View Full Version : Article: BMW Death Ray

Nat Brown
12-19-2002, 10:47 AM
From The Register:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/59/28647.html

Proposed UK star wars base 'invents' BMW death ray
By John Lettice
Posted: 19/12/2002 at 16:27 GMT

It may not be all that successful at knocking out incoming missiles yet, but the US "son of star wars" missile defence programme has already - albeit accidentally - spawned a death ray that can knock out motor vehicles, reports today's Guardian. The UK government is currently thought poised to green light a US government request to base components of the defence system at RAF Fylingdales, already a noted US spook station on UK soil, so the prudent spooks are upgrading their security systems in preparation for the inevitable onslaught of peace campaigners.

But the local area surveillance technology involved is poleaxing cars, immobilising them and/or setting off their alarms. A local delivery driver tells the Graun that he's had to be towed out of the area three times in two weeks, and now keeps the engine running when he's on his rounds.

BMW, Mercedes and Jeep seem particularly sensitive to the effect - rival manufacturers might care to stake out the area with paparazzi and wait for the recovery vehicles.

The RAF is entirely unabashed by the vehicular death ray, claiming it's had the frequencies in question for years, and it's all the motor manufacturers' fault for not sticking properly to the ones they're supposed to be using. But given that this doesn't seem to have happened before in all those years, presumably the RAF has turned up the juice and/or has been straying nearer the borderline than before.

Which is good to know, isn't it, BMW drivers? If these new systems are going to be widely used in British military installations, then you'll quite possibly have to steer clear of all of them. And to do so, you'll have to acquire some working knowledge of where they are. Which could get you into trouble too.

in_d_haus
12-19-2002, 11:26 AM
Teenage Subaru street racers? Subaru? :dunno:

ruteger
12-19-2002, 02:17 PM
It's called a 'Long-Range Radar Detector Tester' (LRRDT). I've had it for a number of years and it operates on the same frequency as most radar detectors (although many now seem to have sophisticated technology that can tell it's just a 'tester' and won't issue a warning).

Similiar in appearance to a garage door opener, when I see a vehicle approaching at a rapid pace in the left lane, just as they're about to pass, I will subtly press my 'LRRDT' and if a radar detector is in use, just like using the death ray, the vehicle's brake lights will suddenly come on and the vehicle will slow down dramatically.

Usually only works once or twice, but there have been a few instances where I've been able to keep a victim at bay for quite a few miles down the road.

The biggest problem is trying to keep a straight face when it works...

Matthew330Ci
12-19-2002, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by ruteger
It's called a 'Long-Range Radar Detector Tester' (LRRDT). I've had it for a number of years and it operates on the same frequency as most radar detectors (although many now seem to have sophisticated technology that can tell it's just a 'tester' and won't issue a warning).

Similiar in appearance to a garage door opener, when I see a vehicle approaching at a rapid pace in the left lane, just as they're about to pass, I will subtly press my 'LRRDT' and if a radar detector is in use, just like using the death ray, the vehicle's brake lights will suddenly come on and the vehicle will slow down dramatically.

Usually only works once or twice, but there have been a few instances where I've been able to keep a victim at bay for quite a few miles down the road.

bwahahahahaha!!! where can i get one? :lmao:

Nick325xiT 5spd
12-19-2002, 08:10 PM
How much does that cost?!?! I want one!

ruteger
12-19-2002, 08:52 PM
In the early nineties, I knew an electronics geek who had one of these things. He told me he got it from some small electronics supply place in Fort Wayne, Indiana and gave me the name. I was able to find the phone number, called and ordered one. I think it was $40.

Unfortunately, that's all I remember, and there's nothing on the device itself to indicate where it was assembled or sold.

FWIW, I took it apart and it looks like there's only two actual parts to it (runs off a 9V battery). I would imagine someone with a little electronic transmitter knowledge could slap one together for less than $10. It's really pretty chinzy.

But I must say, although overpriced, I've definitely gotten my $40 worth of enjoyment out of it, particularly on long highway trips.

It's getting a bit difficult to be surruptitious about it, now, too. Not long ago, I 'zapped' a guy passing me and, although he slowed down, his passenger looked directly at me. I zapped them again, and the same thing repeated.

I'd forgotten about the Valentine 1 being able to detect the direction from which a radar transmission is emitted, and I would imagine they had one and knew it was me 'checking their detector'...

hmr
12-21-2002, 11:06 AM

Umm, why? :thumbdwn: Wouldn't you want to separate yourself from such drivers if you're concerned about safety and just let them create distance between you and them?

ruteger
12-21-2002, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by hmr
Umm, why? :thumbdwn: Wouldn't you want to separate yourself from such drivers if you're concerned about safety and just let them create distance between you and them? Actually, I don't believe I said that I was concerned about safety but, yes, from a safety standpoint, this is absolutely correct.

There have been more than a few times when I've caused another vehicle (one which would have otherwise sped by me) to slowdown to a speed which paced mine, directly alongside my left. I had effectively 'boxed myself in' and could not go around another, slower moving vehicle that I would soon come upon directly in front of me. This would, in effect, slow me down, too.

However, for entertainment value, it was occasionally worth impeding my own progress just to watch someone with a radar detector traveling far in excess of the speed limit (I usually drive around 10 mph over the limit and these people are going much faster than I) to slowdown.

hmr
12-21-2002, 01:50 PM
Actually, I don't believe I said that I was concerned about safety but, yes, from a safety standpoint, this is absolutely correct.

There have been more than a few times when I've caused another vehicle (one which would have otherwise sped by me) to slowdown to a speed which paced mine, directly alongside my left. I had effectively 'boxed myself in' and could not go around another, slower moving vehicle that I would soon come upon directly in front of me. This would, in effect, slow me down, too.

However, for entertainment value, it was occasionally worth impeding my own progress just to watch someone with a radar detector traveling far in excess of the speed limit (I usually drive around 10 mph over the limit and these people are going much faster than I) to slowdown.

Yeah, true, sometimes there's just too much speed disparity :angel:. Ok, I'm not blind to the entertainment value :eeps: . It's but a radar signal after all.