PDA

View Full Version : So, where are all the E21 people?

JSpira
12-09-2006, 07:15 AM
First, :hi:to anyone who stops by while I am :typing: this...

Oh well, I guess they are out :drive:

Oh well...:slap:

JSpira
12-09-2006, 07:25 AM
P.S. As long as Im not :banghead: here :angel:

Harrypr
12-10-2006, 04:39 PM
There are still a few out there.

Here's mine (I have another one, an Alpineweiss parts car).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/bonkosky/My%20E21/IM000826Medium.jpg

JSpira
12-10-2006, 05:14 PM
Great photo Harry. How many miles and more photos!

Harrypr
12-11-2006, 12:22 AM
Thanks! The car has around 250K. I'll post additional photos soon.

In the meantime, here's its older brother, my '76 2002 :

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/bonkosky/My%20Cars/IM000101B.jpg

drw1926
12-18-2006, 05:16 PM
Hi Guys, I just got the call from FedEx shipping, my 83 320i will be here tomorrow afternoon. Finally! This has been in progress for almost 3 weeks so it will be nice when it is finally home. Of course, pics to follow soonest once it arrives... :rofl:

JSpira
12-18-2006, 05:24 PM
Hi Guys, I just got the call from FedEx shipping, my 83 320i will be here tomorrow afternoon. Finally! This has been in progress for almost 3 weeks so it will be nice when it is finally home. Of course, pics to follow soo:rofl: st once it arrives...
Congratulations! Can't wait to see. What are the specs and just out of curiosity, how much does Fedex charge for BMWs?

drw1926
12-18-2006, 07:06 PM
Congratulations! Can't wait to see. What are the specs and just out of curiosity, how much does Fedex charge for BMWs?

Hey Jonathan,

She's an 83 320i with 5-speed, sunroof, & A/C...Sapphire Blue Met w/beige int. Only 58,500 actual miles...original owner had it for the first 20 years, then sold it to a BMW mechanic on a trade for a 7'er three years ago. It's a rust belt car, but it has not been driven in winter or salt, and rarely in rain so the body is rust free.

I talked to the service department of the BMW dealership that did the PPI...the SA said it was the cleanest E21 that he has seen since they were new. The guy I bought it from told me later that the SA told him he would definitely buy it from him if I backed out for any reason.

The only deficiencies they found on the PPI were the V-belts need to be replaced. Also, there is some minor oil 'seepage' from the trans and diff. The SA said if I park it in the same spot for a year I might see a couple of drops of oil where it's parked. Bottom line, I asked him if he would have any reservations about buying it if it were his money...he said hell no, you ain't gonna see a better one than that. :)

I hit him up hard on the rust issue, I asked him if they found any rust at all during the PPI. He said the only rust they found was some light surface rust in front where stone chips had gotten down to bare metal. The SA said "I don't think the owner ever took it out of the garage." (ha...)

BTW, I paid $3k even for it...plus FedEx hit me up for $1200 from NY to KC. So already I am in $4200 total. :tsk: I figured I could pay it up front for a low-mileage, reliable E21, or spend $1000 initially, and pay $$$ later to keep it running. I was planning on using Intercity Lines (board sponsor) but they wanted more than $200 additional. Also, FedEx (Passport) uses the same type of specialized equipment Intercity uses. I asked the seller about it after they picked it up last week, he said oh yeah, he had a nice truck...separate floors and partitions inside, all cars are closed-containers. Took exaclty one week to arrive.

BTW the build date is 1st Dec 82...the last month they made E21's. :bigpimp:

JSpira
12-18-2006, 07:22 PM
Sounds really incredible. Can't wait for the photos.

Just don't count on too much a/c from the a/c. Neither of my E21s had a/c. In Europe it wasn't necessary but when the 2nd car came here I survived for several hot muggy summers w/o. Black with Black interior.

The ventilation system (w/o air) is really good though. It never bothered me to drive in it in the summer. I also liked the flat factory look of the dash.

I still have the BMW first aid pillow and warning triangle from E21 number 2.

drw1926
12-18-2006, 07:42 PM
Yeah, I know about the A/C. If I had a choice I would have gotten it without. Anyway, when I asked about that the previous owner said that the air is cold, but not ice cold...so, better than nothing, I guess. We will see.

325ic a beer
01-10-2007, 01:29 PM
Photos of your "new" E21 ........???
I can hardly wait to see these.
I spent my college years beating around in an E21 5 speed.
Damn that car made a lot of memories...

325ic a beer
01-10-2007, 01:29 PM
Photos of your "new" E21 ........???
I can hardly wait to see these.
I spent my college years beating around in an E21 5 speed.
Damn that car made a lot of memories...

doggee
05-03-2007, 03:47 AM
harrypr
that's nice

Paul Christian
05-03-2007, 04:32 AM
I would love get my hands on one too.....

JSpira
05-05-2007, 03:52 PM
Still waiting for drw1926 (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/member.php?u=13340) to post photos :)

drw1926
05-11-2007, 05:08 PM
Hey guys, sorry I have never posted my pics. I had some problems for Herr 320i with the water pump back in early February, and recently (May 2007) for the clutch. I tried to teach my wife how to drive a stick, the old man gave up. :rofl: So now I have to replace my clutch....

Anyway, here are some pics I took in December. Sorry for the long wait. I absolutely love my car, it is more fun to drive than my '03 540i/6. In fact I will am selling/trading in my 540 for a new 328. :cry: I can't bear it, but I never drive my 540i/6, it just sits in my garage waiting to go outside. I am always on my motorrad (Beemer) or my 320. The 540 has become a garage queen that nobody wants to play with....

Oh BTW, I am moving to Hawaii, I will take the (new) 328 and (old) 320 with me. The guys in Hawaii said bring the 540, not the 320 as it will rust in the salty air. But, I cannot bear to part with my 320...hope she will not start rusting from the sea breeze. :tsk:

OK, pics to follow...again, sorry for the long delay...I appreciate your patience!

Greg

drw1926
05-11-2007, 05:16 PM
More...!!

drw1926
05-11-2007, 05:27 PM
Last pics.

drw1926
05-11-2007, 05:31 PM
OK! Jonathan!

R U happy now?! :rofl:

Note, these pics were taken back in 12/2006. I have made a few minor changes since then. Put on OEM shift know (w/Roundel); put in OEM Sport Pkg springs; and Bilsten HD shocks.

As I stated, now I am replacing original clutch w/all OEM parts (clutch, PP, bearing, etc. etc.) But, she is really dirty now...a 100% Zaino treatment is in her near future.

I will try to post some update pics before I have her shipped to Hawaii in July. :thumbup:

drw1926
05-11-2007, 05:32 PM
Oh yah, I have a license plate now too...heheheh...

JSpira
05-11-2007, 05:43 PM
Ja, indeed I am happy. The car looks almost new.

And I'm jealous: I love Hawaii.

What island?

drw1926
05-11-2007, 06:39 PM
Ja, indeed I am happy. The car looks almost new.

And I'm jealous: I love Hawaii.

What island?

I will be on Oahu, assigned to Schofield Barracks.

rogue38
05-11-2007, 07:44 PM
drw1926

Beautiful 320i, reminds me of my first BMW I had, it was the same color. Artic Blue Mettallic (Corrrect?) with the Tan interior. Mine was a 77 320i, unfortunately it had the auto trans.

JSpira
05-11-2007, 07:50 PM
I will be on Oahu, assigned to Schofield Barracks.
I take it you are Army. I also assume that this is a good assignment. Good luck with your new post.

drw1926
05-11-2007, 09:05 PM
Oh yah, it's a good assignment. Better than my last one (Tikrit, Iraq.) You're right, I'm in the Army.

The actual colour is Sappire Blue (or Saphir Blau in Bimmer-Speak). :D But yeah, it really kind of favours Arctic.

BTW, a friend of mine is offering to buy the car for $5500. I really don't want to sell it...at all. But it will save me $1000-1500 shipping if I sell it (Uncle Sam only ships one POV for you; you have to ship any others at cost.) Even though she is slow as hell...and old...and the clutch just went out as I stated...it is so much fun to drive. I really like the 'greenhouse' atmosphere, so easy to see all around you. I wanted to do some mild mods to it as well, like an LSD, sport exhaust, maybe a few more things. Not to mention I need a second car (not a new one though), for those days when I just don't feel like (or can't) ride the motorcycle.

I easily have $8k in the car all told...if I ship it that's at least $9k total. Also, some of the guys on the Bimmerforums Hawaii community thread advised against bringing an E21 to Oahu...they said it will start rusting quickly (due to the salty air.) :eek: (There is NO rust anywhere on the car at this point.)

Suggestions?

JSpira
05-11-2007, 09:15 PM
Oh yah, it's a good assignment. Better than my last one (Tikrit, Iraq.) You're right, I'm in the Army.

You are right. Much much better.

The actual colour is Sappire Blue (or Saphir Blau in Bimmer-Speak). :D But yeah, it really kind of favours Arctic.
Ach, I remember Saphirblau. The car is gorgeous. I wish I had room for it.

BTW, a friend of mine is offering to buy the car for $5500. I really don't want to sell it...at all. But it will save me $1000-1500 shipping if I sell it (Uncle Sam only ships one POV for you; you have to ship any others at cost.) Even though she is slow as hell...and old...and the clutch just went out as I stated...it is so much fun to drive. I really like the 'greenhouse' atmosphere, so easy to see all around you. I wanted to do some mild mods to it as well, like an LSD, sport exhaust, maybe a few more things. Not to mention I need a second car (not a new one though), for those days when I just don't feel like (or can't) ride the motorcycle.

I easily have $8k in the car all told...if I ship it that's at least $9k total. Also, some of the guys on the Bimmerforums Hawaii community thread advised against bringing an E21 to Oahu...they said it will start rusting quickly (due to the salty air.) :eek: (There is NO rust anywhere on the car at this point.)

Suggestions?
I know that 2002s were prone to rust in some spots but I never encountered any with my E21s. Granted, I only had mine for 9 years.

I would also assume that the folks in Hawaii might know more about local conditions although I really have trouble imagining it rusting out overnight.

You are right, this is a toughie.

I guess I would probably take it with me and risk it.

Oh, and you should consider putting a 2002 exhaust manifold and eliminating the cat. That's what I did and I definitely gained a few hp. A friend who was expert in all things E21 told me that the 2002 exhaust manifold would do about the same for me as headers and since this was closer to OEM, I went with it.

Harrypr
05-12-2007, 02:05 AM
Beautiful car!

I live in Puerto Rico about a mile from the beach as the crow flies. I restored my 2002 back in '92 and it still has no rust at all.

The secret is to keep it under a good all-weather cover when you are not using it and to wash it after you use it and before you cover it. Get yourself an air compressor to blow out the water from the nooks and crannies after you wash it and keep it waxed.

It's a bit of work, but well worth it.

rogue38
05-12-2007, 04:35 AM
I'd suggest storing it for your tour maybe be at a relatives place. When I was TDY to Hawaii with the USAF I noticed a lot of rusty cars, (Guam was worse). The salt air gets into places you cannot imagine.

How did you ever keep it rust free in Jersey? I'm from there and it was always bad on cars.

XGiWiTHA323i
08-28-2007, 01:04 PM
I just went to this years Florida German Cookout (which was terrific) and I had the ONLY E21 at the event.

Mine is a 1979 323i (euroSpec)

I will try to get a pic on for you.

Lanc3r
08-28-2007, 01:07 PM
I just went to this years Florida German Cookout (which was terrific) and I had the ONLY E21 at the event.

One of my all time dream cars. :thumbup:

JSpira
08-28-2007, 01:39 PM

Beautiful looking car. Do you have interior pictures?

XGiWiTHA323i
08-28-2007, 04:54 PM
Believe me when I say with this interior I can't wait to get A/C!!!!!!!!!

ClayW
09-02-2007, 10:26 PM
Hey, i just bought my first bmw. its a 83' 320i.but yeah out of no where i became a fanatic, so i wanna drop some money into it.the interior is in mint condition and the body has a few rust spots, but nothing a little bondo and new paint job cant fix.its got 130,000 on it, but it was driven by an old lady from like, day one, then it sat around.so its still got some life to it. but yeah, would it even be worth it?

XGiWiTHA323i
09-03-2007, 07:59 PM
As long as you are ok with understanding that it is something you will probably never sell for what you have in it then it's ok. I know I will NEVER get out of my car what I have in it. I simply love the car and that is what makes the investment worth it for me:thumbup:.

Good Luck!!!

aldaph
09-20-2007, 12:55 AM
absolute classic.

heyjay
02-21-2008, 08:19 PM
R:

heyjay
02-21-2008, 08:21 PM
I just pulled my '80 320i (Alpine white) out of hibernation and can't wait to get behind the wheel again... It's the only car I've ever owned that I couldn't part with (Stored it for two years and missed driving it so much I decided to bring it back out...) I'm actually getting rid of my newer truck so I can use my 30 year old car as a daily driver... I'm a little nuts i guess. I think I've only seen on other e21 around where I live. The bumpers alone are a conversation piece ;) just a question if anyone knows, mine's all stock except for a red "reflective" piece between the tail lights (where the large black trim usually is)that says "BMW 320I" In big bold letters... was this an aftermarket thing? just never seen another with this attachment, did BMW offer it at the time as an aftermarket item? Anyways, just wanted to say hi!

Rennsurfer
02-22-2008, 03:33 AM
I just pulled my '80 320i (Alpine white) out of hibernation and can't wait to get behind the wheel again... It's the only car I've ever owned that I couldn't part with (Stored it for two years and missed driving it so much I decided to bring it back out...) I'm actually getting rid of my newer truck so I can use my 30 year old car as a daily driver... I'm a little nuts i guess. I think I've only seen on other e21 around where I live. The bumpers alone are a conversation piece ;) just a question if anyone knows, mine's all stock except for a red "reflective" piece between the tail lights (where the large black trim usually is)that says "BMW 320I" In big bold letters... was this an aftermarket thing? just never seen another with this attachment, did BMW offer it at the time as an aftermarket item? Anyways, just wanted to say hi!

I couldn't handle my front U.S. bumper stickin' out into next week, either. So I tucked it in.
You can see the writeup and pics, here: CLICK HERE for bumper tuck. (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=261915)

Car looks WAY better and it's a poor man's way of getting around the expense of Euro spec. bumpers. As for the rear reflector... those were aftermarket. Companies made 'em for BMWs, Datsun Z cars, Porsche 944s, and a few others during the late '70s & early '80s.

Nothing wrong with using an older European car as a daily driver. Just keep it maintained. Both of my daily drivers are old, too. But they're fun to drive and I loathe new cars, so it works out rather nicely. To each their own. Have fun with your car.

(edit) Well, since this is a thread asking for E21 cars...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/Sumdumsurfer/Cars/320i21108-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/Sumdumsurfer/Cars/320iEngine.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/Sumdumsurfer/Cars/320iEngine2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/Sumdumsurfer/Cars/320iInterior.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/Sumdumsurfer/Cars/320iInterior2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/Sumdumsurfer/Cars/320iTrunkTools.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/Sumdumsurfer/Cars/320iUndercarriage.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/Sumdumsurfer/Cars/320i211082.jpg

bmwadam
02-22-2008, 12:41 PM
WOW! Thats an amazing little car you have there! I love to see em still truckin... especially when they look that nice!

Paul Christian
02-24-2008, 02:04 PM
^^^x2 from a e 21 guy at heart....Mark how much do you drive her???

Rennsurfer
02-24-2008, 11:21 PM
WOW! Thats an amazing little car you have there! I love to see em still truckin... especially when they look that nice!

Thanks for the kind words, Adam. I wish that there were more on the road around here, in So Cal. They're either all hiding and/or gone. Mine's the only one I see.

^^^x2 from a e 21 guy at heart....Mark how much do you drive her???

She's a daily driver, but I also drive an equally clean '87 Volvo 245DL 5spd. wagon.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/Sumdumsurfer/Cars/Volvo245DL021808sm-1.jpg
So, to answer your query, both cars are driven a lot and are both fun. Except the E21 doesn't get used when I go surfing. Hence the surf racks on the wagon.

uberpanzer
02-25-2008, 06:03 PM
Hiding? Hmm...mine isn't hiding, just not going to much other than autoX's. I may start driving it daily though after selling the current e30 Daily car. We'll see....

Hope to see you all at the 'Fest this year!!! :D

Rennsurfer
02-25-2008, 10:26 PM
NICE! Good to see people using their Bavarian cars for which they're intended.

:thumbup:

325ic a beer
02-25-2008, 10:40 PM
Man what an aggressive stance that car has. The front rakish lines in the nose/hood area. Sweet.

Hey guys, sorry I have never posted my pics. I had some problems for Herr 320i with the water pump back in early February, and recently (May 2007) for the clutch. I tried to teach my wife how to drive a stick, the old man gave up. :rofl: So now I have to replace my clutch....

Anyway, here are some pics I took in December. Sorry for the long wait. I absolutely love my car, it is more fun to drive than my '03 540i/6. In fact I will am selling/trading in my 540 for a new 328. :cry: I can't bear it, but I never drive my 540i/6, it just sits in my garage waiting to go outside. I am always on my motorrad (Beemer) or my 320. The 540 has become a garage queen that nobody wants to play with....

Oh BTW, I am moving to Hawaii, I will take the (new) 328 and (old) 320 with me. The guys in Hawaii said bring the 540, not the 320 as it will rust in the salty air. But, I cannot bear to part with my 320...hope she will not start rusting from the sea breeze. :tsk:

OK, pics to follow...again, sorry for the long delay...I appreciate your patience!

Greg

325ic a beer
02-25-2008, 10:42 PM
Primo!

I couldn't handle my front U.S. bumper stickin' out into next week, either. So I tucked it in.
You can see the writeup and pics, here: CLICK HERE for bumper tuck. (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=261915)

Car looks WAY better and it's a poor man's way of getting around the expense of Euro spec. bumpers. As for the rear reflector... those were aftermarket. Companies made 'em for BMWs, Datsun Z cars, Porsche 944s, and a few others during the late '70s & early '80s.

Nothing wrong with using an older European car as a daily driver. Just keep it maintained. Both of my daily drivers are old, too. But they're fun to drive and I loathe new cars, so it works out rather nicely. To each their own. Have fun with your car.

(edit) Well, since this is a thread asking for E21 cars...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/Sumdumsurfer/Cars/320i21108-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/Sumdumsurfer/Cars/320iEngine.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/Sumdumsurfer/Cars/320iEngine2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/Sumdumsurfer/Cars/320iInterior.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/Sumdumsurfer/Cars/320iInterior2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/Sumdumsurfer/Cars/320iTrunkTools.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/Sumdumsurfer/Cars/320iUndercarriage.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/Sumdumsurfer/Cars/320i211082.jpg

Paul Christian
02-27-2008, 04:56 PM
that is cool to see you a car guy.....how do you like brick???that is what my mother calls a Volvo....

Rennsurfer
02-27-2008, 05:37 PM
that is cool to see you a car guy.....how do you like brick???that is what my mother calls a Volvo....

Very common name for our beloved Volvos. Mine's been the best car I've ever owned. Had it for 16 years. I did a few small mods so it's not a typical slow one. Mine's a rare 5spd. too. Which helps a LOT.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/Sumdumsurfer/Cars/Volvo245DL021808sm-1.jpg

Sorry for the non-BMW image. I can attempt to save face with this...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/Sumdumsurfer/Cars/320iNightDrive022608.jpg

which I took while in my 320i, last night, on the way back from the grocery store.

Paul Christian
02-28-2008, 04:15 AM
it's all good brother...I was looking at a 2 door GT VOLVO 5 years ago too,but it was sold a couple days later......I like the pics too....

BoostedE21
02-28-2008, 01:57 PM
WoW, there are some E21's here. :thumbup:

skaper
04-06-2008, 04:27 PM
Bump. Anyone know where I can pick up some alpina bumpers?! Also anyone know the offset and wheel size of this bad ass mofo...

http://i27.tinypic.com/2zqa8us.jpg

dictator
11-03-2008, 03:58 PM
for the silver 320i it looks like your tires are mounted incorrectly. the groves are slanting in the same direction. I have always been under the impression that tires should be mirror images of one another.

DAMN that is a gorgeous car!!!

granada
12-08-2008, 08:40 AM
great cars
I've found a good article about e21 bmw's at www.classicmotoring.co.cc

j-moff
12-18-2013, 02:09 AM
hey can anyone help me with an engine number I got it off my 323i but I know its not the original motor im really wanting to know what it is any help ?

TahoeE21
05-22-2014, 08:12 PM

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

JSpira
05-22-2014, 08:24 PM
It looks brand new. Details?

TahoeE21
05-22-2014, 08:40 PM
79 320i ,recaros , LSD ,4 speed manual ( kinda wish it was a 5 when I'm on the freeway.)53,000 miles. Has recently started running like crap for some reason.

JSpira
05-22-2014, 08:42 PM
79 320i ,recaros , LSD ,4 speed manual ( kinda wish it was a 5 when I'm on the freeway.)53,000 miles. Has recently started running like crap for some reason.

Sounds like a great car. How long have you had it? Do you have a good mechanic to check out the problem?

TahoeE21
05-22-2014, 08:45 PM
No but have read some good reviews about a guy not far from here that I plan on taking it to In a couple days. I'm gonna put a new fuel filter in it tomorrow and see if that helps, if not it's going to him.