PDA

View Full Version : Hmmm, Head-Up Display on the E60

Alex Baumann
12-19-2002, 04:32 PM
I came across an article as I was reading through the car news. The rumor has it that the new 5 Series may get an optional Head-Up Display.

Price is expected to be around $700.

F1Crazy
12-19-2002, 05:10 PM
Quite possible in light of head-up display developed for Ralf's helmet. BMW will try to link their products to F1 program as much as possible, hence V10 in new M5 and this Head-Up display.

MotorenWerke
12-19-2002, 05:25 PM
Head-Up display, can someone fill me in? :dunno:

Im guessing it just means you can fondle with iDrive while keeping your eyes on the road(?)

Alex Baumann
12-19-2002, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by buyme///M5
Head-Up display, can someone fill me in? :dunno:

Im guessing it just means you can fondle with iDrive while keeping your eyes on the road(?)

It's a system where the information is projected on the front windshield. Looks like this :

Mathew
12-20-2002, 05:43 AM
Originally posted by Alex Baumann
It's a system where the information is projected on the front windshield. Looks like this :

Can i get nav-tv or some sort of DVD retrofit on the HUD?? :D

Alex Baumann
12-20-2002, 05:44 AM
Originally posted by Mathew
Can i get nav-tv or some sort of DVD retrofit on the HUD?? :D

Wait for Alee to retrofit it first :eeps:

:angel:

RKT BMR
12-20-2002, 06:12 AM
I was pondering this yesterday... Is the focal point on the windshield (in which case it is only slightly better than having to divert your eyes to see the info on a monitor screen), or does it somehow project in some way so that the information appears to be at a focal distance out ahead of the car (maybe 20-40 feet?), so that one can maintain focus on the road ahead? IF the latter, how the h*ll does it work?

The only technology I know of for creating this kind of virtual environment requires either specialized glasses/goggles/headset, or a complex prism where the "window" is to control the images going in to each eye, and simulate the focal distances. Simple reflection off a flat surface like an ordinary windshield won't do.

Still, even with a short focal distance, the HUD is an improvement over current monitor based systems, as it reduces driver workload to just refocusing, rather than focus+head movement.

JST
12-20-2002, 06:58 AM
Originally posted by RKT BMR
I was pondering this yesterday... Is the focal point on the windshield (in which case it is only slightly better than having to divert your eyes to see the info on a monitor screen), or does it somehow project in some way so that the information appears to be at a focal distance out ahead of the car (maybe 20-40 feet?), so that one can maintain focus on the road ahead? IF the latter, how the h*ll does it work?

The only technology I know of for creating this kind of virtual environment requires either specialized glasses/goggles/headset, or a complex prism where the "window" is to control the images going in to each eye, and simulate the focal distances. Simple reflection off a flat surface like an ordinary windshield won't do.

Still, even with a short focal distance, the HUD is an improvement over current monitor based systems, as it reduces driver workload to just refocusing, rather than focus+head movement.

It's not tremendously revolutionary technology. GM (in various Pontiacs and the Corvette) has been doing HUDs in cars for years. AFAIK, they haven't done a full Nav display yet, but they do basic vehicle info such as speed, etc. (Nasty comment of the day: If the E60 is going to look like a Pontiac, it might as well have a Pontiac feature set).

The image appears to float some distance down the road; you don't have to refocus to look at it. Don't know how it works.

ZBB 325Ci
12-20-2002, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by RKT BMR

GM has offered HUDs on certain Pontiac models for at least the last 10-12 years, and I also believe the Cadilac night vision system works similarly. I've never used one, but my understanding is that it has a projector on the top of the dash, a treatment on a portion of the windshield, and appears as an image floating ahead of the car...

bmw325
12-20-2002, 08:25 AM
Even though GM has done this for years, I still think HUDs are a fantastic idea-- especially w/ the ever increasing array of infomration that a driver can look at. I also think an HUD should've been part of the iDrive system-- its the only way to make such a system workable IMO.

An aside-- I read somewhere about a new headlight technology that BMW is working on that basically involves hundreds of micro-mirrors that are adjusted by a computer to enable you light specific sections of the road and reduce glare to oncoming cars. BMW engineers also say that it would be possible to project navigation images onto the road-- so for example you could just follow arrows on the road! That sounds very cool.

alee
12-20-2002, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by Alex Baumann
Where's the right turn in that picture? :dunno: :D

Jetfire
12-20-2002, 11:11 AM
IT'S ABOUT FRICKING TIME! GM's been doing this for years, currently on the Corvette, Grand Prix, and I think Aztek and Caddy something.

There is a display unit mounted in the dashboard but far forward of the IP cluster, almost where it meets the windshield. The display is reversed so that when it is lit, it reflect off the windshield and into your eyes in the correct orientation.

It took me maybe a day to get used to it in my last car and I *loved* it. The very rudimentary unit in my Grand Prix displayed the speed at all times, but also showed turn signals, radio station (when changing stations), a few dummy lights such as fuel and windshield washer fluid, and a few other things. The Vette's HUD can be changed to display a number of things. I hear the next generation HUD from GM will involve more of a matrix than the current segment-based technology, which will alow for much more flexibility in HUD programming. The HUD display can be moved up and down and dimmed (all the way to off if necessary) to suit the driver.

I have no idea why other manufacturers haven't embraced this technology, used for the first time by GM in an Oldsmobile in the 80s. Maybe it hasn't caught on with the public. But there aren't enough HUD-equipped vehicles for that to happen. Catch-22. :dunno:

HW
12-20-2002, 11:49 AM
i thought nissan had that more than 10 years ago on the 240sx. but it was only the speedometer i think.

CzTom
12-20-2002, 11:58 AM
All the current HUDs on cars have a virtual focus point between 20 and 100 feet in front of the driver. This isn't rocket science, just a matter of having the right optics between the display and the driver. The issue with them that I recall was that the partially silvered coating on the inside of the windshield (to reflect the display image to the driver) scratched easily and often doubled the cost of a replacement windshield. That was 5+ years ago, so hopefully progress has been made since then.

Jetfire
12-20-2002, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by CzTom
All the current HUDs on cars have a virtual focus point between 20 and 100 feet in front of the driver. This isn't rocket science, just a matter of having the right optics between the display and the driver. The issue with them that I recall was that the partially silvered coating on the inside of the windshield (to reflect the display image to the driver) scratched easily and often doubled the cost of a replacement windshield. That was 5+ years ago, so hopefully progress has been made since then.

To my knowledge, GM's current crop of HUD-equipped cars do not use a specially coated windshield. Those cars that do have the HUD have slightly tighter tolerances in the windshield design in order to ensure that the image is reflected sharply.

I also recall reading the article about BMW's research with using tiny "micro reflectors" in their lights. The idea is to "turn off" some of the reflectors in such a way that a legible message is displayed within the headlight pattern, such as speed or an upcoming turn from the nav system. Pretty cool, but I'm not sure that I want other drivers and cops to see how fast I'm going. :eeps:

AF
12-20-2002, 12:14 PM
I drove a friends 2000 Corvette with that feature last month . . . all I can say is :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: