PDA

View Full Version : My car is wasted in this city

JST
12-20-2002, 05:57 AM
This morning (as with almost every morning), my speed during my 10 mile freeway commute at no point exceed 45 mph, and the RPMs never got above 3K.

That's to be expected, but what's more annoying is that even on the way home from work last night (at 11 PM, grr), there was so much traffic that I couldn't get past 60 mph, and could only get up to 60 for short periods of time.

What good is a 240 hp autobahn-bred runner in a city where the hitting 65 mph is "fast?"

Hate DC. :mad:

nate
12-20-2002, 06:02 AM
What did you want?

Even a 110hp Civic typically can't meet its performance potential in any major city :dunno:

JST
12-20-2002, 06:08 AM
Originally posted by nate328Ci
What did you want?

Even a 110hp Civic typically can't meet its performance potential in any major city :dunno:

I want to live in that house in that Acura commercial.

Or someplace where I can take M-14, the road that runs between Detroit and Ann Arbor, which has a speed limit of 70 and an average speed closer to 90. But then I'd have to live in Detroit again. :eek:

nate
12-20-2002, 06:11 AM
Originally posted by JST

Or someplace where I can take M-14, the road that runs between Detroit and Ann Arbor, which has a speed limit of 70 and an average speed closer to 90. But then I'd have to live in Detroit again. :eek:

There are places to go very fast on the highway if you want.

I broke 130 yesterday :dunno:

Mr. The Edge
12-20-2002, 06:14 AM
I can regularly hit triple digits on my morning commute

nate
12-20-2002, 06:15 AM
Originally posted by atyclb
I can regularly hit triple digits on my morning commute

Well, you live in God's country, so what do you expect? :dunno:

TD
12-20-2002, 06:16 AM
Hey, you could have my commute. I hit 100mph almost every morning on the against-rush 10 mile stretch I drive outbound on the Toll Rd. Then again, you'd have to contend with the rest of my commute, which is ugly. With the rain, I'm sure it'll take me 2 hrs to get home tonight.

BTW, what's with the f*cking potholes?! DAMN!

Pete Teoh
12-20-2002, 06:18 AM
Originally posted by JST

Or you could live in AA. :thumbup:

JST
12-20-2002, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by Pete Teoh
Or you could live in AA. :thumbup:

Yeah, I'd dig that. But there's nothing like Ann Arbor in DC, and my job requires me to be near the Federal government. The closest thing is probably Annapolis, but unlike Ann Arbor, Annapolis is NOT 45 minutes from the major city during rush hour.

beauport
12-20-2002, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by JST
Yeah, I'd dig that. But there's nothing like Ann Arbor in DC, and my job requires me to be near the Federal government. The closest thing is probably Annapolis, but unlike Ann Arbor, Annapolis is NOT 45 minutes from the major city during rush hour.

Short of leaving the DC area we all have to make the best of a bad situation that isn't going to get any better, new Wilson bridge and Springfield interchange won't help.. I decided it wasn't worth the frustration to drive in the daily commute and so I take the bus/metro. Then when I do drive it isn't stop/go commuting and I can enjoy the car. Would I rather be on a fast open highway going to work---of course--but my work/life is here.

Jetfire
12-20-2002, 07:14 AM
I can sympathize. Carpooling has become much more therapeutic for me. The drive from my house to the "carpool house" is short, but the roads are usually pretty empty and the way home can be great fun. The rest of the trip SUCKS and I'm glad my car is too small to have everyone pile into it for the stop-go ride into work. Even the HOV lane isn't all that gratifying some days.

in_d_haus
12-20-2002, 07:36 AM
Try Seattle, we're happy to do 45. Most of the time my speedo isn't even registering on the commute home

Plaz
12-20-2002, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by JST

Not sure exactly where that is, but it looked like Malibu/Santa Monica Mountains canyons.

Would be great until the mudslide. :D

rkny
12-20-2002, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by in_d_haus
Try Seattle, we're happy to do 45. Most of the time my speedo isn't even registering on the commute home

or New York City. Waaay too many people in this town. Traffic doesn't move during business hours, there's no place to park, and it's totally impractical to commute to work by car.

Mystikal
12-20-2002, 08:39 AM
If it makes you feel better, on my entire commute to school or work, the speed limit never exceeds 50km/h. Of course, this is because they are both within 3-4km's of my house. :D

Yet, I'm still averaging like 80km's a day on my car. :banghead:

GimpyMcFarlan
12-20-2002, 12:24 PM
Not much different here in the midwest... On my 10 mile commute, half of it is a 2 lane road with a 35 MPH limit and there are 2 school zones. There is a 4 lane stretch with 50 MPH limit, but it only lasts for 1 mile. 90% of it is on 1 street. :thumbsdwn:

·clyde·
12-20-2002, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by JST
What good is a 240 hp autobahn-bred runner in a city where the hitting 65 mph is "fast?"

I had a lot fun with my 240 HP '87 Corvette when I lived at 6th & G SW. Traffic is no worse now than it was then in the areas I drove then.

Hate DC. :mad:

At least I'm not the only one. :eeps:

Randy Forbes
12-20-2002, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by JST

Tell me about it...
I grew up in Detroit, left for twenty-five years (5 yrs California & 20 yrs Louisiana) and then moved to Toledo two years ago!

We'll take M-14 between 23 & 475 when we go to see the inlaws Christmas day.

BTW, I don't know the last time you were on M-14, but the road surface is a mess now! You can do 90, but you'd better be watching ahead for potholes!

JST
12-20-2002, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Randy Forbes
Tell me about it...
I grew up in Detroit, left for twenty-five years (5 yrs California & 20 yrs Louisiana) and then moved to Toledo tow years ago!

We'll take M-14 between 23 & 475 when we go to see the inlaws Christmas day.

BTW, I don't know the last time you were on M-14, but the road surface is a mess now! You can do 90, but you'd better be watching ahead for potholes!

Yeah, well, "road" and "repair" are two words that MDOT never really was able to put together. The road surfaces throughout Michigan are uniformly awful.

Makes speeding more interesting.

Randy Forbes
12-20-2002, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by nate328Ci
There are places to go very fast on the highway if you want.

I broke 130 yesterday :dunno:

About two years ago I was leaving N.O. after working there all week heading home to Breaux Bridge and was doing about ninety-five on I-10 between Interstates 310 & 55.

I sped up just a little bit to clear a line of cars so that I could pull into the right lane before a white Camaro would catch up to me (no matter how fast I drive, somebody is always going faster).

Turns out to be a slightly marked Louisiana State Police Camaro!
He pointed his finger at me (I assumed it was loaded...), then pointed it down, smiled and sped off.

I expected to see him parked where you come off the bridges around La Place, but I never saw him again...

Bob330Ci
12-20-2002, 01:22 PM
Randy - A lot of M14 got resurfaced recently...you may get a pleasant surprise. Unfortunately, where people used to actually pass left and stay right on that road for some unknown reason, they pretty much block the lanes now. Light flashing used to work, doesn't any more.

It's pretty easy to get over 100 on 696 between Telegraph and 275 now though, but only certain times of the day. That road is a parking lot around rush hour.

US23 also seems to move pretty quick, especially south of Ann Arbor.

On my normal daily commute, I don't exceed 2000rpm in any gear but fifth, and only then on short stretches of M53.

B.

JST
12-20-2002, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Bob330Ci
Randy - A lot of M14 got resurfaced recently...you may get a pleasant surprise. Unfortunately, where people used to actually pass left and stay right on that road for some unknown reason, they pretty much block the lanes now. Light flashing used to work, doesn't any more.

It's pretty easy to get over 100 on 696 between Telegraph and 275 now though, but only certain times of the day. That road is a parking lot around rush hour.

US23 also seems to move pretty quick, especially south of Ann Arbor.

On my normal daily commute, I don't exceed 2000rpm in any gear but fifth, and only then on short stretches of M53.

B.

Oh, yeah, 696 is (or at least always was) a flat out racetrack between 275 and Telegraph/Lodge. Triple digit speeds there were relatively common. 29 minutes from Ann Arbor to Birmingham? Yeah, it can be done.

The Lodge is, too. So is 696 where it goes "underground" there after Telegraph, but you are right about certain times of the day.

Bob330Ci
12-20-2002, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by JST
...snip...696 where it goes "underground" ...snip...

A friend of mine always called that the Death Star trench. :D I rarely see any cops there, I heard (but doubt) that the radar echo is so bad off the concrete that it's tough to get a reading.

B.

beauport
12-20-2002, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by Bob330Ci
A friend of mine always called that the Death Star trench. :D I rarely see any cops there, I heard (but doubt) that the radar echo is so bad off the concrete that it's tough to get a reading.

B.

Well when winter is over head to the UP and open it up on M-28 west of Seney, which we knew as the Seney Stretch. Miles and miles of empty road and I doubt if its ever a "parking lot".