PDA

View Full Version : Strut Bars do they work?

brigun
12-20-2002, 12:30 PM
Considering a set of DINAN strut bars for the 528i.Do these bar's work?and if so why didn't BMW add them?I dunno it's an investment I'm on the fence with,sombody talk me into getting them.The roll rate on these cars' really suck's, and they know it at BMW!whassssup? I'd be more apt to change sway bar's before the strut tower bars' offered.:confused:

Plaz
12-20-2002, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by brigun
Considering a set of DINAN strut bars for the 528i.Do these bar's work?and if so why didn't BMW add them?I dunno it's an investment I'm on the fence with,sombody talk me into getting them.The roll rate on these cars' really suck's, and they know it at BMW!whassssup? I'd be more apt to change sway bar's before the strut tower bars' offered.:confused:

Thicker sways will be 1000% more effective at reducing body roll than strut tower braces. If it's body roll you're concerned with, go with upgraded sways and forget the strut tower braces.

The UUC Swaybarbarians installed in my 330i (thanks HACK!) reduced body roll to an almost unbelieveable extent.

Now I'm starting to think about coilovers to reduce acceleration lift and brake dive.

Personally, unless you're really driving at 10 10ths on the track, I don't think you'd get anything other than aesthetic benefits (and that's subjective) from strut tower braces.

:dunno:

in_d_haus
12-20-2002, 01:04 PM
Steve Dinan came up here for a Tech session end of last year. When he was asked about the effectiveness of the Strut bars he said "They look cool don't they?"

He went on to say after the E30 the bodies have become significantly stiffer and he plain said unless you like the look don't waste your money.

brigun
12-20-2002, 03:00 PM
Gentlemen you saved me $700 dollar's I knew from my instinct's they were sh*t.Enough said...:thumbup:

mola
12-21-2002, 04:58 AM
Originally posted by brigun
Gentlemen you saved me $700 dollar's I knew from my instinct's they were sh*t.Enough said...:thumbup:

540i sway bars are thicker than 528i sway bars.
Could look for 540i take offs.

brigun
12-21-2002, 09:58 PM
Oh there's a lot of 540 part's I'd like to rob,if I could find a import junkyard with late model Bimmer part''s, I'd be there..But your advice is good... I'll see what I can work out,or research,you know how it is.

Nick325xiT 5spd
12-21-2002, 10:04 PM
Strut bars have a small effect, and are largely only noticable when driving the car hard. I would MUCH rather have spent my money on sways... But they don't exist for the xi. :p

brave1heart
12-21-2002, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by Nick325xiT 5spd
Strut bars have a small effect, and are largely only noticable when driving the car hard. I would MUCH rather have spent my money on sways... But they don't exist for the xi. :p

I am perfectly happy with my front strut bar. The difference under hard driving is very tangible. Sure, the sways would make a bigger difference but they take 3-4 hrs to install + annual greasing + clunking noises if you don't install them right.

brigun
12-22-2002, 08:52 PM
Boy I sure messed around with a lot of car's when I was younger and more into it.Now strut bars, sway bar's,dunno,we didn't have those decision's when we tweaked car's,and the prices for the equipment mean I have to be sure.Yes, I own an expensive well designed well made piece of german hardware,but that doesn't mean I can afford thousand's of buck's on aftermarket stuff.Hell,I'm newly married I'm lucky the car ain't sitting out in front of the house for sale!:D I like the idea of trying to find 540 sway bar's. I know the sway bars and really good damping product's will improve handling,and cornering,but these sway bar's from DINAN,and Racing Dynamic's are a big investment and if they don't make the car's roll rate inprove,they ain't worth my time.Hell it ain't about install time,tooling,it's about result's,bottom line.;)

BS540i
12-31-2002, 11:22 AM
I put the Dinan strut brace on my 540I and to tell you the truth
I think I would now spend the money somewhere else on the car, but I will wait until the spring and the next auto X to give it a fair assessment!:dunno: It does look good!

brigun
01-01-2003, 04:43 PM
:yikes: Yeah they may improve the handling somewhat,but there 700 buck's that's alot right now.Most people have leaned me away from them,so...Still looking for sway bar's though,anyone suggest a vendor:dunno:

dRea177cHa5eR
01-22-2003, 12:48 AM
actually, i've experienced improvements in handling for both the strut and sways. but i agree that the sways definitely showed more improvement. i only have the tower for my 525iT 92, and my brother has both for his 540i 94. same e34s, which should essentially have the same handling characterists...albeit the 540 is heavier up front, but w/ his setup, i kant keep up w/ him in the twisties without getting a little exciting.

both our sways and towers are from RD btw.

brigun
01-24-2003, 06:31 PM
:D Oh I'd love to have the RD bars,But I really like to improve the sway's first,then the Strut bar's.I live on a twisty road that every night I get to run hard to my house, and the 528 has just a tiny bit too much roll,and come spring I'm gonna see about tweakin' it out.If you think about it just one person telling me there not the real deal makes me think about what direction I want to go:thumbup: