PDA

View Full Version : Sensatec Leatherette upholstery - more hot in the sun than leather?

cbj
12-13-2006, 10:07 AM
I hear good things about the new Sensatec Leatherette upholstery and I couldn't care less if its not real leather. My only concern is does it get super hot in black so you can't sit on it during the summer before you cool the car down with the A/C? Would it make a difference if get the beige? Would leather be just as warm? (All my previous cars have had fabric so this is all new to me). Maybe I should get the privacy glass for extra shade?

Saw the 07 in the black I want and the rims I want in Park Slope where I live and it looks great and the owner put the right amount of pressure on the pedal at the trafic light and the engine sounds great too.

Thank you all for the great help - I am really catching the BMW fever :)

AzNMpower32
12-13-2006, 01:45 PM
Black anything will get hotter, whether its leather or leatherette (vinyl). I don't recommend the privacy glass option as it is the lamest excuse for a tint job I have ever seen (we have it, and it makes like 2% difference).

philippek
12-13-2006, 01:47 PM
Leatherette is plastic, and therefore doesn't breathe like leather. Because of that it will feel hotter and be less comfortable when it gets hot.

cbj
12-13-2006, 01:56 PM
Philipek that is what I am thinking but is it something you notice. A lot of leather is super processed and has little to do with the cow it came from. Funny thing is I had a sales rep on the phone and he said the leather was not worth the upgrade.

philippek
12-13-2006, 02:05 PM
You'll definitely notice it when you're wearing shorts and you have to use a spatula to get off the seats :)

If you have small kids and/or have an active lifestyle, the leatherette might still be a better choice because it's super durable (again, because it's plastic), and clean-up is very easy.

And the leather in a X3 isn't the world's greatest leather...which is what the CA you spoke with may have been referring to...but it is more plush than the sensatec stuff they give you standard. In the long run though, it will take more care and maintenance to keep it up.

cbj
12-13-2006, 02:15 PM
The car will haul my dirty ass back from the mountain on most summer weekends and I have no interest in maintaining leather. A fresh new BMW A/C should cool down the car quickly but I will remember to keep a spatula in the car.

pilotman
12-13-2006, 02:29 PM
the leather in X3's is total junk.

In fact, I'm even surprised they call it leather.

It seems to be the cheapest leather I have seen among all luxury makes, it is very plasticky.

But as others have noted, the vinyl is quite durable, but will get hotter in the summer. (I've had both black leather and vinyl in BMWs.)

One thing I find amusing is how BMW calls vinyl "leatherette". I really love marketing people, they must think their customers are really stupid.

cbj
12-13-2006, 02:47 PM
I can only agree latherette is a joke. I would perfer a high quality fabric to the latherette any time and there are some options out there. Fake leather is just not cool.

SignHere
12-13-2006, 02:47 PM
It's amazing how many 'ette' BMW's we sell here in the heart of Texas with our 30+ 100 degree days per year.

My customers who have it love it though. Go figure.

AzNMpower32
12-13-2006, 02:49 PM
One thing I find amusing is how BMW calls vinyl "leatherette". I really love marketing people, they must think their customers are really stupid.
Hey, there are people who think a Steptronic transmission is better than a regular ol' "Automatic" transmission and/or don't know the difference. :rolleyes:

firstbmwX3
12-14-2006, 11:30 AM
I have the 07 with leather - no comfort seats. My fellow BMW junkie thought it was the leatherette. I personally like it. It seems very durable and thick to me. I also have an 05 Acura TL and the leather is starting to show wear. I got the X3 premium package otherwise I would have ordered the leatherette. I had an 02 Audi A4 and the leatherette was awesome. No wear, stains ever - and it was perforated so it did seem to breathe in hot weather. My friend with a Volvo has really slippery leather which I don't like. Now that I have had the X3 for a little over a month, it seems to be softening up on the drivers side.

bmwdoc55
12-14-2006, 04:21 PM
Anyone ever consider that it really doesn't significantly matter what color leather(ette) you get b/c BMW's have pretty damn good insulation. Yes, it'll be hot in hot weather, but not as hot as some other "lesser" vehicles that heat up way more...I'm speaking from experience. I also agree with the poster who stated that BMW's A/C is good and will cool down the car very quickly. Just my 2 cents...not to get off topic. ;)