PDA

View Full Version : BMWs aren't luxury cars (or: Why key a BMW?)


jastevenson
12-22-2001, 03:44 PM
So it seems that numerous people on this board have had their cars keyed just b/c they drive a BMW.

My question is: why key a BMW? BMWs, or the 3 series anyway, aren't luxury cars.

Evidence:
-Saw a toyota camry print ad in a magazine selling a loaded Camry for 29K...29k for a CAMRY, the modern day "people's car."
-VW selling Passat's for 32k, the old school "people's car."
-SUVs. The best example. Suburbans are NOT cheap! Ditto with Expeditions, Explorers, Monteros, etc. A decently equipped chevy trailblazer is 33k!!!

A nicely equipped 325i with say, sport, xenons, and roof is (off the top of my head) 32k sticker, 30k negotiated, which is less than many suv's I see being driven around. The 3 series is also vastly more environmentally friendly, safer, less obnoxious with respect to visibility, etc.

Sure, a loaded 330 for 43k is a lux car, but it seems to me like most 3 series are no more expensive than a decently equipped SUV that everyone and their brother is driving nowadays.

Furthermore, the 3 series is on the list of the Top 10 vehicles sold WORLDWIDE (in Europe they are a dime a dozen), and even in the US they are only slightly less popular than Chevy Malibus in some parts of the country.

So, what is the point in keying one? Why aren't Ford Expedition drivers or highline Dodge Caravan owners considered snobs? I don't get it =P

somguy
12-22-2001, 03:49 PM
Why key ANY car? :confused:

jastevenson
12-22-2001, 03:52 PM
True! But people seem to key cars b/c they are a "status symbol," right?

Spiderm0n
12-22-2001, 03:56 PM
In the US, BMW is a luxury brand, like Mercedes. Of course, you can find examples at the low end of a luxury brand that cost close to the same as a car at the high end of a pedestrian brand, but the average cost of all BMWs is much higher than the average cost of all Fords.

Apparently there is also this attitude that people with BMWs are snobs, and unfortunately some people may actually buy a BMW for just that reason.

Now keying cars - I won't try to explain that at all. I wish it didn't happen.

Alex Baumann
12-22-2001, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by jastevenson
True! But people seem to key cars b/c they are a "status symbol," right?

I think people seem to key cars b/c they're well detailed and very clean (tire gels, polish/wax almost every month etc), like most of the peoples car here. I'd notice an enthusiasts BMW immediately among other 50 cars.

Alex

Spiderm0n
12-22-2001, 04:25 PM
It's funny. I check out BMWs like I did before I bought mine, but now that I keep mine very clean I notice when other people (like my friends) don't keep theirs CLEAN.

MAK
12-22-2001, 04:31 PM
There is no excuse for damaging someone's property. "Most People" who destroy property usually have very low self esteem. They view the possessions of others as an affirmation of their failure to achieve acceptance. Of course, there are also "kids" who do stupid things just to see if they can get away with it.
Last year a co-worker had his Pontiac keyed. Go figure.

Alex Baumann
12-22-2001, 04:41 PM
Btw, I'm scared to death. I have my car almost since March '00 and the car has no scratch, no chips, no ding.

But I wonder how long will I be able to keep her like this? I'm driving half an hour to find an appropriate place to park if neccessary, I'm choosing the most away spot when I drive to shopping malls.

Is there any cure for this ?:rolleyes:

Alex

Guest84
12-22-2001, 05:15 PM
My wifes Explorer, when brand new in 1999, was keyed stem to stern at a Walmart parking lot...

Alex Baumann
12-22-2001, 05:18 PM
That's a pain Rip. But I really don't get it, why would someone key a car? This is sick.

Flee67
12-22-2001, 05:28 PM
Is there any cure for this ?
Yes...it's called a second car ;)

Alex Baumann
12-22-2001, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Flee67

Yes...it's called a second car ;)

hehe, I have it, a 2001 Ford Focus. You're rite, the only cure is a second car.

bmw325
12-22-2001, 10:12 PM
Can't imagine anyone there keying a car because its a BMW or Mercedes. I lived in Germany last year and sometimes it seemed like everyone in Europe drove an E46 sedan or touring. I didn't see or experience it while I was there- but do cars get "keyed" over there?

jw
12-23-2001, 05:11 AM
People vandalize other people's property are assholes. I'm not sure it matters what type of vehicle you drive. I had a 96 Chevy Tahoe (black) that was keyed in Boulder, CO by some college kids while I was at a concert. Wound up costing me some $$ when I traded it.

Where I live now in VA, BMW/MB/Lexus/etc are all over the place. Within 10 houses of mine, I could probably count dozens.

Alex Baumann
12-23-2001, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by robg
but do cars get "keyed" over there?

Yes, they do, but it's not kinda national sport. You'll see more cars with door dings, which IMO still enough reason to be mad.

Alex

ashecnc
12-23-2001, 10:20 AM
I do the same thing, drive around finding the best place to park. Then when I come out the biggest piece of crap is beside me. I had a brand new 97 prelude I just bought back then and parked way off from everyone. It was an easy spot to get keyed because no one seen it.. It was during the day too, from end to end up and down. I almost fainted, I wondered if the fools were watching me when I came out!! pisses me off BAD!

sjs
12-26-2001, 08:56 PM
But I wonder how long will I be able to keep her like this? I'm driving half an hour to find an appropriate place to park if neccessary, I'm choosing the most away spot when I drive to shopping malls.

Is there any cure for this ?:rolleyes:

Alex [/B][/QUOTE]

Unfortunately it is probably only a matter of time before something happens, I have found that it doesn't matter how cautious you are and that may actually be the reason why mine got picked on. My answer is an Escort wagon to drive to all the places I will no longer take the bimmer, it can now be my fine weather car and spend alot more time in the garage staying clean:) I do think it is a sick thing that I have to have two cars to keep one of them new and wonder just what kind of people we
have all become. Just like all the cars at Cutters getting attacked with paint balls, I wonder what possibly makes a person think that the behavior is ok :confused:

Jason 325i Step
12-26-2001, 09:25 PM
The average person can do a lot more with a 30k SUV than a 30k small car like a 2-door 3-Series.

jw
12-27-2001, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by jastevenson

Evidence:
-Saw a toyota camry print ad in a magazine selling a loaded Camry for 29K...29k for a CAMRY, the modern day "people's car."
-VW selling Passat's for 32k, the old school "people's car."
-SUVs. The best example. Suburbans are NOT cheap! Ditto with Expeditions, Explorers, Monteros, etc. A decently equipped chevy trailblazer is 33k!!!

A nicely equipped 325i with say, sport, xenons, and roof is (off the top of my head) 32k sticker, 30k negotiated, which is less than many suv's I see being driven around. The 3 series is also vastly more environmentally friendly, safer, less obnoxious with respect to visibility, etc.


Isn't the 325 entry level? And the loaded Camry practically top of the line. These two brands are not in the same class of vehicles.

SS
12-27-2001, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by MAK
There is no excuse for damaging someone's property. "Most People" who destroy property usually have very low self esteem. They view the possessions of others as an affirmation of their failure to achieve acceptance. Of course, there are also "kids" who do stupid things just to see if they can get away with it.
Last year a co-worker had his Pontiac keyed. Go figure.

I agree

Cowboy
12-27-2001, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by jastevenson
True! But people seem to key cars b/c they are a "status symbol," right?
No. People key cars because they are ASSHOLES.

- Cowboy

Mr Paddle.Shift
12-27-2001, 04:42 PM
And that is true: Jealousy.


Originally posted by somguy
Why key ANY car? :confused:

Mr. E
12-27-2001, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Jason 325i Step
The average person can do a lot more with a 30k SUV than a 30k small car like a 2-door 3-Series. What is the point you're making here Jason? Are you saying that a BMW is more of a "luxury" than an SUV because it's less "useful?" I disagree vehemently and say that the SUV is more of a luxury because it gets lower gas mileage and is much more hazardous to everyone else on the road in terms of accidents. Talk about drivers who only care about themselves!

LarryN
12-27-2001, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by VinceTopasBlau3
And that is true: Jealousy.




I'll buy that argument. The same day that my bimmer was keyed (last month at the train station), a new Z3 3.0 was keyed 2 spaces over from mine. I got the across the hood and down the fender mark, and the Z3 got the big Zoro mark on her hood.

Another lady with a Benz S500 mentioned that her hood ornament was pried off the same day as well, leaving gouges.

..nobody else was touched, that I heard about.

Mr Paddle.Shift
12-27-2001, 06:35 PM
Yup, Larry.

The mentality of these sickos is "If I can't own it, deface it."

And yes, we DO live in such a society.

:)
Originally posted by LarryN


I'll buy that argument. The same day that my bimmer was keyed (last month at the train station), a new Z3 3.0 was keyed 2 spaces over from mine. I got the across the hood and down the fender mark, and the Z3 got the big Zoro mark on her hood.

Another lady with a Benz S500 mentioned that her hood ornament was pried off the same day as well, leaving gouges.

..nobody else was touched, that I heard about.

kmurph
02-04-2005, 11:13 AM
Btw, I'm scared to death. I have my car almost since March '00 and the car has no scratch, no chips, no ding.

But I wonder how long will I be able to keep her like this? I'm driving half an hour to find an appropriate place to park if neccessary, I'm choosing the most away spot when I drive to shopping malls.

Is there any cure for this ?:rolleyes:

Alex

I'm with ya...I've been very lucky so far. I've had this car for 3 years...still no door dings and it has not been keyed yet.....and it's sitting in a public parking lot every day during the week for about 9 hours.

http://members.roadfly.org/kmurph/BBS_CH1.jpg

Mr. E
02-04-2005, 12:06 PM
Holy three year old thread revival Batman! :eeps:

kmurph
02-04-2005, 12:15 PM
Holy three year old thread revival Batman! :eeps:

Wow...I didn't even notice how old the thread was!!! When this thread started, I was still a bachelor. Now I'm married and have a 3 month old son...