PDA

View Full Version : Orbital Buffer

JA 7
12-16-2006, 02:54 PM
I am looking at buying an orbital buffer to try and take the swirls out of my black paint. Does anyone have any favorite buffers they reccomend. Are all buffers created equal?

Johnz3mc
12-16-2006, 03:35 PM
I am looking at buying an orbital buffer to try and take the swirls out of my black paint. Does anyone have any favorite buffers they reccomend. Are all buffers created equal?
The common random orbital buffer most use is the Porter Cable 7424 or the 7336. They are both the same machine, only the counterweight differs. The 7424 has the '5 inch' counterweight to work best with 5 inch pads.
The 7336 has a heavier counterweight to work with larger/heavier pads. The counterweights can be removed and changed. Autogeek and exceldetail sell the weights, about 4 bucks each.
Many companies make aftermarket pads and backing plates for the Porter Cable machines so you'll want to stick with an 'industry standard', not some unknown brand nobody makes stuff for.
Your resale value will be maximized with a PC also. You'll sell a 2nd hand one easily because everybody wants one. Nobody wants a used brand xyz.

A few companies rebrand the Porter Cable - Meguiars, Griots, so those would be fine too. Look at a pic of the Porter Cable buffer and you'll see what they look like, and the PC clones look the same of course.

The basic unit can be purchased cheaply at Lowe's but other online detailing companies offer package deals including the PC plus various pads and backing plates.

It's good to start with the PC because it's extremely difficult to damage your paint/clearcoat. The PC will do most everything the rotary polisher will do but will take longer. You can always step up to a rotary buffer later once you've mastered polishes, waxes, sealants, glazes, etc.

Even though you may have a rotary in the future, you will still use the PC for sealants and waxes.
-John C.

Totoland
12-25-2006, 05:56 AM
The random orbitals mentioned are pretty good products that will give you year's of service and excellent results. I have a Porter-Cable unit, a Cyclo Polisher, a DeWalt Rotary and, my favorite: a Festool Rotex.

I read some reviews of the Festool which is a German mfg tool and decided to try one. Keep in mind, they are 3x the price of the Porter-Cable, but they offer a dual function which I use constantly. They can be switched from random orbital to rotary at the flick of a switch. This is useful to me in detailing as there are places on BMW's that the rotary is too cumbersome or the pad won't work in an area.

Here's a pic of the Festool
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/Festool_Rotex_on_Side.jpg

Another Festool pic
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/Rotex_Plus_PinnacleOnHood.jpg

The distributor that I purchased the Festool from said BMW uses these at their plant and they are rugged enough to withstand daily use.

If you decide to get one, practice with it and get familiar with the process. The results are often stunning.

Totoland

johnnygraphic
12-25-2006, 08:34 AM
I second the recommendation for a Porter Cable machine. Very good. Idiot proof (thankfully!).

Check out www.classicmotoringaccessories.com.

You will also need an assortment of pads to do the job right. As for polishes, I really like Menzerna products. I use their Intensive Polish, Final Polish and either Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax or Menzerna FMJ on my jet black 4-Runner and also my Imola Red ZHP.

Johnny

BrAdam's
12-25-2006, 07:01 PM
+1 on the Porter Cable 7424 or the 7336SP:thumbup: . Both are the same, the only difference is the 7336SP comes with a sanding disk and backing plate.

If you are at all nervous about using a machine on your car, this is the one to buy there is no way you can hurt the paint or clear.

Boxboss
12-26-2006, 07:47 AM
+1 on the Porter Cable 7424 or the 7336SP:thumbup: . Both are the same, the only difference is the 7336SP comes with a sanding disk and backing plate. My 7424 (from Lowes) came with a sanding disk and backing plate. Probably all depends on the way PC is packaging/marketing at the time and the retailer they are selling through.

TOGWT
12-26-2006, 09:22 AM
The random orbitals mentioned are pretty good products that will give you year's of service and excellent results. I have a Porter-Cable unit, a Cyclo Polisher, a DeWalt Rotary and, my favorite: a Festool Rotex.

I read some reviews of the Festool which is a German mfg tool and decided to try one. Keep in mind, they are 3x the price of the Porter-Cable, but they offer a dual function which I use constantly. They can be switched from random orbital to rotary at the flick of a switch. This is useful to me in detailing as there are places on BMW's that the rotary is too cumbersome or the pad won't work in an area.

Here's a pic of the Festool
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/Festool_Rotex_on_Side.jpg

Another Festool pic
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/Rotex_Plus_PinnacleOnHood.jpg

The distributor that I purchased the Festool from said BMW uses these at their plant and they are rugged enough to withstand daily use.

If you decide to get one, practice with it and get familiar with the process. The results are often stunning.

Totoland :thumbup:

A PLUS for any Brits ...it's available in 240V great tool easy to use

335i Driver
01-04-2007, 07:01 PM
I'll probably get flamed for admitting this, but I bought a Wen random orbital buffer at Menards for 25 bucks and the results are simply awesome. I use the Mother's 3-step process and the shine is just incredible. On top of that, it looks great for over 9 months and still beads excellent.

I just don't know how I could get better results spending $200 on a portacable.:dunno:

Totoland
01-05-2007, 03:53 AM
I'll probably get flamed for admitting this, but I bought a Wen random orbital buffer at Menards for 25 bucks and the results are simply awesome. I use the Mother's 3-step process and the shine is just incredible. On top of that, it looks great for over 9 months and still beads excellent.

I just don't know how I could get better results spending $200 on a portacable.:dunno:

No flaming from this old man. I started out with a similar product year's ago. Most enthusiast car owners take 110% better care of their vehicles than the ones I detail. The Porter-Cable, Festool, DeWalt rotary are all tools to get the job done in a shop environment where the cars are far more difficult in terms of paint finish.

You've got a good process and also you are no doubt, washing your car correctly (the biggest cause of scratches IMO).

Totoland