PDA

View Full Version : Noticed somthing unusual about the M5 today

nate
12-22-2002, 04:09 PM
It was rubbing up front, odd noises when turning the wheel. Also, it spun the tires a long time into 2nd, much, much longer than usual. It was slower at speed too...

Yesterday, my dad had taken it to a tire shop to get the tires re-balanced, they did. No more shimmy.

Guess what they did? Yup, reverse staggered the wheels. 275/35/18s in front, 245/40/18s in the rear. Great. I rotated them, the fronts were rubbing on the struts :rolleyes:

nate
12-22-2002, 04:09 PM
:rolleyes:

nate
12-22-2002, 04:10 PM
Beefy front rotors, too bad the caliper is so weak.

nate
12-22-2002, 04:11 PM
Got ****ty brake balance?

Also, the rear sway bar tab tore out AGAIN :rolleyes:

The HACK
12-22-2002, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by nate328Ci
...snip...

Also, the rear sway bar tab tore out AGAIN :rolleyes:

Badges of honor for driving your car like it's designed to be driven.

If you ask me, if your car does not squeak and rattle, then you're not driving it hard enough...Should'a just save that money and bought a Camry.

nate
12-22-2002, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by The HACK
Badges of honor for driving your car like it's designed to be driven.

If you ask me, if your car does not squeak and rattle, then you're not driving it hard enough...Should'a just save that money and bought a Camry.

Same with the torn subframe :rolleyes:

Yea, I dunno how much he beats on it with me not in the car.

It has seen auto-x and the track (until the clutch went out :rolleyes: )

As he says, Downtown Houston roads are like "The Ho Chi Minh trail" :lmao:

The HACK
12-22-2002, 05:22 PM
Are all M5 rotors like that, with the holes cast into the hub, or is that an aftermarket rotor?

nate
12-22-2002, 05:34 PM
Are all M5 rotors like that, with the holes cast into the hub, or is that an aftermarket rotor?

That's stock.

Chris330Ci
12-22-2002, 05:36 PM
Aside from the botched tire job, the car looks great! :thumbup:

nate
12-22-2002, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by Chris330Ci
Aside from the botched tire job, the car looks great! :thumbup:

Thanks

LeMans blue is fantastic. It has a LOT of swirls though....

nate
12-22-2002, 08:05 PM
Ah, very nice to have that fixed....

DSC off, Sport mode throttle response courtesey of Steve Dinan, correcting oversteer during a 2nd gear lane change = priceless :bigpimp:

·clyde·
12-22-2002, 09:06 PM
Ah, very nice to have that fixed....

DSC off, Sport mode throttle response courtesey of Steve Dinan, correcting oversteer during a 2nd gear lane change = priceless :bigpimp:

Don't forget cop on horseback. :p

:eeps:

:angel:

nate
12-22-2002, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by Clyde@work
Don't forget cop on horseback. :p

:eeps:

:angel:

:eek:

That would SUCK. Usually no horse cops where I was. :p

Actually, 275s would be nice up front on the M5. Get rid of that pesky understeer. Dinan uses 275s up front on their M5s, just a different offset :thumbup:

Raffi
12-22-2002, 11:36 PM
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: How freakin' stooopid are the people at the tire shop? :rolleyes:

Emission
12-23-2002, 12:31 AM
True, impressive rotors... too bad those darn calipers (and swept area) is soooo small.

Aftermarket brakes probably make a world of difference to the small percentage of M5 owners who really push their cars (and it sounds like you do).

nate
12-23-2002, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by Emission
True, impressive rotors... too bad those darn calipers (and swept area) is soooo small.

Aftermarket brakes probably make a world of difference to the small percentage of M5 owners who really push their cars (and it sounds like you do).

Yea, the pedal feel is absolutely terrible. It really needs aftermarket brakes.

Talking to a guy at the dealer's performance shop, they have sold several M5 owners the Brembo Gran Tourismo kit with great sucess. I can't imagine modifying one, like a Dinan S2, and not upgrading the brakes.

I have more confidence in my small brakes.

The HACK
12-23-2002, 10:43 AM
Yea, the pedal feel is absolutely terrible. It really needs aftermarket brakes.

Talking to a guy at the dealer's performance shop, they have sold several M5 owners the Brembo Gran Tourismo kit with great sucess. I can't imagine modifying one, like a Dinan S2, and not upgrading the brakes.

I have more confidence in my small brakes.

Stainless Steel Braided Brakelines will do wonders for the brake feel...

If you're running stock wheels, the Brembo GT kit will NOT fit without spacers. You will need to invest in a set of BBS'es or Hamanns that will fit with Brembo's GT kit. I think a couple of other kits like UUC's big brake kit and StopTech's kit will fit nicely underneath the stock wheels.

nate
12-23-2002, 10:59 AM
Stainless Steel Braided Brakelines will do wonders for the brake feel...

If you're running stock wheels, the Brembo GT kit will NOT fit without spacers. You will need to invest in a set of BBS'es or Hamanns that will fit with Brembo's GT kit. I think a couple of other kits like UUC's big brake kit and StopTech's kit will fit nicely underneath the stock wheels.

I know it needs that.

UUC has no application for the M5, and I don't know if their kit would be enough for such a heavy car.

Some folks on bmwm5.com are running 380mm rotors ;)

I think he should go with the Dinan S2 package and Brembos :bigpimp: hyper-expensive though...

ChrisTO
12-23-2002, 10:34 PM
ur missing a tire cap valve...

nate
12-24-2002, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by ChrisTO
ur missing a tire cap valve...

Missing all 4.

Update: Rather than just replacing them with weack factory mounts, I ordered him some RE brakets and myself some TMEs :D

nate
12-24-2002, 10:09 AM
They look beefy enough :mad:

http://www.rogueengineering.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/suspension/e39_rear_mounts_300.jpg