PDA

View Full Version : Early Christmas pics!

drw1926
12-19-2006, 05:58 PM
Hi all, as promised here's the pics from the newest member of the family! The FedEx/Passport truck driver got to play Santa this year I guess. :D I took a few quick shots across the street from my apartment. I found a couple of nit-noid things I will have to run down after I get back from visiting my family in Detroit, but I took her out for a quick spin (no registration yet, haha...) and she runs like a champ. The paint is perfect; little bit of fading on the interior but as you can see the interior is nearly new. Got the original window sticker, all keys, books, even the can of touch up paint that BMW used to provide. This thing is a whole world apart from my '03 540/6 (i.e., SLOW) but still a blast to drive!

Here's a quick rundown on some issues that need to be fixed: auto antenna doesn't work when the radio is turned on; blue high-beam indicator inop; floor mats look like ass and need to be replaced; tires are not original size (205/60R13) (but still have good tread). Also per the PPI results, both V-belts need to be replaced. I checked the fuses real quick and didn't see any blown, so I guess the antenna and/or high-beam indicator are t*ts-up. Does anybody know if these antennas are still available from BMW?

Comments/criticism equally welcome...enjoy.

Greg

P.S. Oops, sorry...she's a 1983...SaphirBlau Met...5-speed/Luxus/A/C...58,500 actual miles...build date 1st Dec 82 (last month of E21 production)

qu4ttro
12-19-2006, 06:42 PM
Very nice and still shiny!

drw1926
12-19-2006, 09:49 PM
Very nice and still shiny!

Thanks!

e60lover
12-19-2006, 09:52 PM
Beautiful!!!.....And in pristine condition....:thumbup:

Bmwcat
12-20-2006, 05:53 PM
Byootiful, and I dont see a any East Coast rust. There's a wrecking yard here that has tons of parts if you cant find the antenna motor. Just PM me. :thumbup:

JSpira
12-20-2006, 07:50 PM
This car looks brand new! Iīm jealous.

DominguesE30
12-22-2006, 02:55 AM
its nice ah? not bad for almost 30 years

drw1926
12-23-2006, 07:12 AM
Thanks, I appreciate everyone's input. I'm back home in Detroit right now, got her registered & titled today so when I get back to KC I will be able to spend some time on the road with her. (I'm in the Army so I use MI as my home of record for vehicle registrations, etc....just in case you're wondering.)

As far as mods go...nothing extreme. I want to get everything working properly (as I mentioned in the OP), then I will take it from there. I may replace the tires with something newer, the previous owner had the car for three years and he said the tires on it now were the same ones on it when he bought it from the original owner. The last 4 of the DOT # on the side is 0502...now if I could just remember if that is the 5th week of 2002, or the 2nd week of 2005! :D (Guessing it is the former.) Also, as they are not the stock size I don't know how they are affecting the speedometer/odometer readings (higher or lower.) They are 205/60R13's so about two sizes larger than stock so it shouldn't be a great deal, if any.

Other than that, mainly I will be looking at handling upgrades as recommended by Mike Miller in Bimmer. New OEM sport pkg springs, Bilstein HD's, and rear sway bar. Can't go too crazy cuz I am planning on going the full-bore Dinan S3 route on my 540 in a couple of years...since that is the equivalent of buying a new car I need to start saving now.

Merry Christmas all...

Greg

EDIT: answered my own question...here it is from the NHTSA website, in case any of you were wondering: "...and the last four numbers represent the week and year the tire was built. For example, the numbers 3197 means the 31st week of 1997."

JSpira
12-23-2006, 09:20 AM
You might want to consider getting the Sport package steering wheel for the car as well as a BMW leather shift knob.

drw1926
12-23-2006, 03:13 PM
You might want to consider getting the Sport package steering wheel for the car as well as a BMW leather shift knob.

Jonathan,

It's funny you should mention that, 'cuz I already ordered the new OEM shift knob from Bav. Auto. :thumbup: It's not leather though...they said the OEM knob for that year is the "long" knob with the BMW roundel on top. It should already be waiting for me at home once I get back in KC.

I was going to do the same thing with the steering wheel...not sure why he put that one on there, it's nice enough and has a nice thick leather-covered rim and feels like a quality piece, but...I don't know, I guess I'm just an OEM kind of guy unless you are making a real improvement by going aftermarket. Anyway, that will be on order from Baron BMW within the next week.

Of course I will post pics as soon as I start installing these items! :bigpimp:

98'Kashmere
12-23-2006, 04:00 PM
very nice, high five!:rofl:

JSpira
01-03-2007, 07:12 PM
Jonathan,

It's funny you should mention that, 'cuz I already ordered the new OEM shift knob from Bav. Auto. :thumbup: It's not leather though...they said the OEM knob for that year is the "long" knob with the BMW roundel on top. It should already be waiting for me at home once I get back in KC.

I donīt have my brochure handy here (it is filed away somewhere) but the boot was not leather; not sure if the knob was - I kinda sorta think it was, at least for the S version. But the Roundel was definitely not ex works. The standard knob had the 1-2-3-4-5 R pattern and I purchased an ///M version of the cap with the 1-2-3-4-5 R pattern.

BTW, I also purchased a Jalousie (hmmm, what is that in English - oh, shade) for the rear window that rolled up and down (manually). It was OEM and really nice.

SewerSideUp
06-06-2007, 02:59 PM
duuuuude!!! Congratualtions on that amazingly clean piece of history!!! Take car of her and she will take care of you!!!

jh1328
06-24-2007, 01:22 PM
shes pristine!!!! congrats!

odin328
12-18-2007, 11:55 PM
clean, straight and the car looks brand new. I can't believe the interior looks as good as it does. congrats

ebloom
12-19-2007, 09:23 AM
Very nice car -- brings back memories of my 83. Purchased new in March 83, kept until May 2000. I still miss is sometimes. Doesn't compare to my E46 M3, but there's something about the simplicity of the E21.

Looks like your shift knob and steering wheel aren't stock. As mentioned earlier, I believe the shift boot was a ribbed plastic thing. And the knob was plastic.

The stock steering wheel was plastic and 4-spokes. Yours looks just like the one I put in -- much better.

Your tire size was a common upgrade. Stock was 185, the 205s have almost identical circumference and fit on the stock rims. This was often called a +0 upgrade.

And the paint -- BMW blue paint of that era didn't hold up well. Maybe yours was stored indoors?

Congratulations and enjoy.