PDA

View Full Version : Audi A4 1.8TQ

RChoudry
12-23-2002, 08:23 AM
Well,

After weeks of test driving and drooling over cars that we could buy, the Cooper S was a logical choice but I couldn't find one on the East Coast or even more centrally.

The waiting time was just exhaustive.

My best friend is taking over our Z3 lease with only 14 months left and will likely buy it at the end for only 23k with only 20k miles on the clock. Perfect condition otherwise.

We just purchased a 1999.5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro with Sport Package, Heated Seats, Sunroof, with manual transmission and 2 year, 100K warranty for $18,000 as a CPO car from Audi. The car is literally perfect with only 33K miles but the color is a dreadful Teal--Jaspis Green with black interior.

We're gonna use it for probably 2 years and then get another BMW (hopefully the M3 she wants via E.D.)

This little venture will save over $200 a month in payments and build equity over the term. 5.9% APR is still pretty good.

Audiworld is really a nice site for Audi info.

Any other co-Audi-BMW owners out there?

PhilH
12-23-2002, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by RChoudry
We just purchased a 1999.5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro with Sport Package, Heated Seats, Sunroof, with manual transmission and 2 year, 100K warranty for $18,000 as a CPO car from Audi. The car is literally perfect with only 33K miles but the color is a dreadful Teal--Jaspis Green with black interior.

Do I count? :dunno:

http://www.bimmer.info/bmw/PhilH/Passat1.jpg

We actually bought our 1.8T/tiptronic Passat used for a steal...$15,500 for a two year old car with 44k miles, loaded with options (leather, cd changer, sunroof, heated seats...) that originally retailed for $27,000. Of course, the turbo blew up at 56k miles. :cry:

However, overall, my wife really likes it. We'll probably wind up keeping it for about 3 years before maybe getting her a Mazda 6 wagon.

In my experience, driving the Passat is pleasant, and the ride quality and highway driving can't be beat. On balance, owning the Passat just makes me appreciate my BMW even more.

OBS3SSION
12-23-2002, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by PhilH
Do I count? :dunno:

http://www.bimmer.info/bmw/PhilH/Passat1.jpg

Sure! That's an Audi A5 Avant, after all. ;) :thumbup:

JST
12-23-2002, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by OBS3SSION
Sure! That's an Audi A5 Avant, after all. ;) :thumbup:

How about my A3 1.8T?

http://images.autodatadirect.com/Media/Images/Exteriors/CAB30VWC081A04004.jpg

TD
12-23-2002, 11:00 AM
Well,

After weeks of test driving and drooling over cars that we could buy, the Cooper S was a logical choice but I couldn't find one on the East Coast or even more centrally.

The waiting time was just exhaustive.

My best friend is taking over our Z3 lease with only 14 months left and will likely buy it at the end for only 23k with only 20k miles on the clock. Perfect condition otherwise.

We're gonna use it for probably 2 years and then get another BMW (hopefully the M3 she wants via E.D.)

This little venture will save over $200 a month in payments and build equity over the term. 5.9% APR is still pretty good.

Audiworld is really a nice site for Audi info.

I had a '97 A4 1.8T Quattro sport-package 5-spd for about 3.5 years just prior to my E46. It was a great car.

And when the weather gets sloppy out, I still miss it. It was pretty fun in the dry and exceptional in the frozen stuff.

And it's about 200 lbs lighter than an E46 and, hence, a lot more tossable.

nate
12-23-2002, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by TD

And it's about 200 lbs lighter than an E46 and, hence, a lot more tossable.

Even with understeering quattro?

RChoudry
12-23-2002, 12:43 PM
what mods did you guys indulge in?

Is the turbo really that unreliable?

What were the problem areas during ownership?

PhilH
12-23-2002, 12:52 PM
what mods did you guys indulge in?

Is the turbo really that unreliable?

What were the problem areas during ownership?
In over two years of ownership (from 44k miles to 70k miles):

--zero mods

--the turbos on those prior to '99 should really be updated with a redesigned turbo oil supply line and heat shield (you might even want to double check your car - you can tell easily by the heat shield - do some legwork on audiworld for a pic of it). All turbos fry themselves eventually, so I'd suggest an immediate change to Mobil1 and stick to a very frequent oil change schedule. I've always tried to cool the turbo down after almost every drive with a little extra idle time.

--fried turbo ($2,000), worn front sway bar links ($200), burned out headlight, right rear door lock with intermittent problem (not fixed yet)

RChoudry
12-23-2002, 12:55 PM
good thing it's got a warranty!

PhilH
12-23-2002, 01:06 PM
good thing it's got a warranty!
Frankly, I should be shot for buying a used turbo without a warranty.

However, even at the adjusted price of $17,500, I feel our Passat was a decent deal.

Emission
12-24-2002, 12:40 AM
I can't praise my B5.5 (Passat 2002) enough. I love the little 1.8T, but hate the Triptronic (autos just aren't for me).

I'm getting 200+ hp. with a Neuspeed chip!

My car has 12,000 miles on it and has never been to the dealership.

Oh yeah, two things are broken right now (waiting for that first trip): Ashtray and one rear speaker is blown.

AF
12-24-2002, 08:27 AM
Congrats on the A4 . . . it's good to hear you have a 2 year warranty plus for the price you really can't beat that car.

The Jasper green is not THAT bad . . . if it's the color I am thinking of, you might end up liking it after a while.

RChoudry
12-24-2002, 10:02 AM
hope so, Al

I think my other half is going to be borrowing mine often!