PDA

View Full Version : Touch Up Paint

marc545i
12-20-2006, 10:25 AM
Has anyone used the BMW Touch up Paint? I had a couple of "dings" removed by a Mobile Dent Removal company but there are still some very tiny areas where the paint has been chipped off. Just wondering what kind of results some of you have had with the touch up paint. Thanks much.

Totoland
12-20-2006, 01:31 PM
I use touch-up paint literally every week on the BMW's coming through the shop. Here's my procedure:

1. With a q-tip and denatured alcohol, I clean the chip area.
2. If you are just doing a couple of chips, you can use a toothpick as an applicator for the paint. In my case, I use a syringe (I'm diabetic so I have a never-ending supply LOL) and place a small amount on the chip.
3. I have an edged rubber squeegee (see pic) and wipe excess in a single pass.
4. Wait a few minutes for the paint to set and apply more if needed to bring the touch-up paint level with the original paint.
5. Once satisfied with chip fill, I use a mixture of linseed oil and alcohol and a cotton rag to "gently" wipe away the area where the excess paint has spread from the squeegee.

Here's a pic of the tools:
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o212/Totoland/BMWX5_ChipFillingTools.jpg

Here's the chip filling on an X-5
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o212/Totoland/BMWX5_ChipFilled.jpg

You can see the smear just above the light reflection. I went over this area again to level the chip area with the original paint and cleaned the excess from the swipe. I let dry overnight and polish/wax the next day.

Totoland

marc545i
12-20-2006, 01:36 PM
I use touch-up paint literally every week on the BMW's coming through the shop. Here's my procedure:

1. With a q-tip and denatured alcohol, I clean the chip area.
2. If you are just doing a couple of chips, you can use a toothpick as an applicator for the paint. In my case, I use a syringe (I'm diabetic so I have a never-ending supply LOL) and place a small amount on the chip.
3. I have an edged rubber squeegee (see pic) and wipe excess in a single pass.
4. Wait a few minutes for the paint to set and apply more if needed to bring the touch-up paint level with the original paint.
5. Once satisfied with chip fill, I use a mixture of linseed oil and alcohol and a cotton rag to "gently" wipe away the area where the excess paint has spread from the squeegee.

Here's a pic of the tools:
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o212/Totoland/BMWX5_ChipFillingTools.jpg

Here's the chip filling on an X-5
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o212/Totoland/BMWX5_ChipFilled.jpg

You can see the smear just above the light reflection. I went over this area again to level the chip area with the original paint and cleaned the excess from the swipe. I let dry overnight and polish/wax the next day.

Totoland

Hey Toto - Thanks! That's great info. So this touch up paint you use... what exactly is it called and can i order it from my dealer?

Totoland
12-20-2006, 02:49 PM
Marc: yes, you can order it from your dealer. Your paint name is on a plate under the hood if you're unsure of the exact name.

The touch-up usually comes with a small brush and I don't use the brush method at all.

Hope this helps Sir!

Merry Christmas

Toto

johnnygraphic
12-23-2006, 11:20 AM
So, you don't use any extra fine grit (2000) sandpaper to help smooth things out before you polish?

Totoland
12-23-2006, 12:41 PM
So, you don't use any extra fine grit (2000) sandpaper to help smooth things out before you polish?

Yessir, I use 3000 grit on a Snap On air orbital + detailer for lube. That does smooth things out, but there are still going to be chips to fill. Plus, I use a paint guage before I start on any BMW to determine if the car has been sanded previously.

Our shop takes detailing to the highest degree possible and I always shoot for 10/10ths in cleanliness and finish appearance.

Totoland

johnnygraphic
12-23-2006, 12:45 PM
Yessir, I use 3000 grit on a Snap On air orbital + detailer for lube. That does smooth things out, but there are still going to be chips to fill. Plus, I use a paint guage before I start on any BMW to determine if the car has been sanded previously.

Our shop takes detailing to the highest degree possible and I always shoot for 10/10ths in cleanliness and finish appearance.

Totoland

Oh, o.k. just wanted to clarify. from your previous post, it seemed that you skipped the sanding part and went straight to using a polish after using the touch up paint.

Totoland
12-23-2006, 01:14 PM
Oh, o.k. just wanted to clarify. from your previous post, it seemed that you skipped the sanding part and went straight to using a polish after using the touch up paint.

No problem. The "tell-all" is the paint guage before I start on a vehicle. I've learned the hard way too! I didn't guage an X5 hood completely and went and sanded the vehicle. Once I started on the compound, the paint went to the primer at the edge of a curve. We ended up paying a contractor to repair the mistake.

Here's a pic that is permanently etched in my feeble brain for future reference.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o212/Totoland/BMWX5_ThinPaintOnEdge.jpg

Totoland

johnnygraphic
12-23-2006, 03:20 PM
No problem. The "tell-all" is the paint guage before I start on a vehicle. I've learned the hard way too! I didn't guage an X5 hood completely and went and sanded the vehicle. Once I started on the compound, the paint went to the primer at the edge of a curve. We ended up paying a contractor to repair the mistake.

Here's a pic that is permanently etched in my feeble brain for future reference.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o212/Totoland/BMWX5_ThinPaintOnEdge.jpg

Totoland

Ouch!!! I would never dream of 'sanding' an entire car. I'll polish it, but, even then, I'm worried of cutting thru to the metal. Never had any paint come up on my pad on my BMW while polishing yet.

Johnny

Totoland
12-23-2006, 05:20 PM
Johnnie: I typically sand the hood and trunk lid if they are scratched or have a lot of stone chips.

Like I said, I did 2 things wrong on this X5: I didn't paint guage the edges of the hood and I used an improper technique with the compound (I let the rotary "follow" from the edge to the valley...that's not the correct method).

Those things happen in a shop environment and the owner is super about getting a mistake corrected.

I've got a 740i to start on tomorrow that is not going to need sanding, except the headlight covers. The rest is compound + glaze + wax.

Take care Sir and have a Safe Holiday Season.

Totoland

johnnygraphic
12-25-2006, 09:36 AM
Johnnie: I typically sand the hood and trunk lid if they are scratched or have a lot of stone chips.

Like I said, I did 2 things wrong on this X5: I didn't paint guage the edges of the hood and I used an improper technique with the compound (I let the rotary "follow" from the edge to the valley...that's not the correct method).

Those things happen in a shop environment and the owner is super about getting a mistake corrected.

I've got a 740i to start on tomorrow that is not going to need sanding, except the headlight covers. The rest is compound + glaze + wax.

Take care Sir and have a Safe Holiday Season.

Totoland

Thanks!

Johnny