PDA

View Full Version : Tire dressing that won't sling off?

Ryan M
12-21-2006, 03:20 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what tire dressing to use that won't end up on my car after I'm done driving?

BmW745On19's
12-21-2006, 03:25 PM
It slings off because you didn't clean your tires well enough before you put tire dressing on. Try not using so much either, that helps.

Eviil30
12-21-2006, 03:28 PM
It slings off because you didn't clean your tires well enough before you put tire dressing on. Try not using so much either, that helps.

+1 never had a problem

540 M-Sport
12-21-2006, 04:10 PM
The simple solution is to wipe the tires with a dry cloth before driving off. This will remove the excess tire dressing...but will also take away some of the gloss.

chiefwej
12-21-2006, 04:25 PM
Use less, drive slower.

lex89
12-21-2006, 06:14 PM
I always dress my tires the night before so it has the whole night to dry. However, I've been able to drive away as soon as 30 minutes after dressing and haven't had a problem. I agree with the other guys: try cleaning the tires a little better and putting a little less on :)

colemaneduc
12-24-2006, 06:38 PM
got a GREAT solution for you...it comes in an areosol (did I spell that right?) can. It's by MCGuire's (don't know if I spelled that right either) and it's called insane shine. As long as your tires are clean and dry when you apply, you will be exceptionally pleased. Virtually no spin-off.

stingrayl82
12-25-2006, 09:09 AM
There are actually two that I like to use. The first, and best in my opinion, is Meguiar's Gold Class Endurance Long Lasting Tire Protectant Gel. The second is Black Magic Tire Wet Express Gel. They will NOT sling off at all. The Meguiar's really is good stuff, and it smells good too. :D

Frederic

m5james
12-25-2006, 03:09 PM
I simple green my wheels and tires after I'm done washing the car, hose off, let dry. I apply silicone tire shine using a 1-2" paint brush, applied evenly. It won't fling off and simple green between each coat makes it very clear where you might have missed silicon.

frhsfootball80
12-25-2006, 03:20 PM
clean your tires. apply any tire shine. let it dry for at least 20-30 minutes. wipe off excess, shouldnt really be any left. if done right you wont have anything slinging off. if you do then you messed up somewhere.

-i like the mcguiers tire foam. it is applied evenly and the extra slides off the tire. it also is extremely black and shiny.

avibhogal
12-25-2006, 04:27 PM
I have tried most of the tire shine items and the same problem, splatters on the sides and bumpers. Until lately, I simply pour a little bit of Armor All in a container, I have a paint brush (2", about $2 from Home Depot) and simply apply a very thin layer to clean tires. It does not spray on the rim so no residue or after cleaning required. It dries pretty quick in about 15 minutes and you are ready to go. The key is don't apply a wet drippy layer apply a very thin coat. Enjoy for about 2 weeks :) (if no rain)

Htownmobaudio
12-25-2006, 05:04 PM
yeah .... i like armoral tire foam .. spray on 20 minutes later ure tires are glazed .. try letting it dry longer

frhsfootball80
12-25-2006, 06:12 PM
you guys kno they have speical foams for this right? one side that is used to apply the application and the other side to wipe off the extra. no need for brush's. i recommend getting the sponge. ask a employee at autozone and they will show you what im talking about

Chenz
12-25-2006, 06:15 PM
I have tried most of the tire shine items and the same problem, splatters on the sides and bumpers. Until lately, I simply pour a little bit of Armor All in a container, I have a paint brush (2", about $2 from Home Depot) and simply apply a very thin layer to clean tires. It does not spray on the rim so no residue or after cleaning required. It dries pretty quick in about 15 minutes and you are ready to go. The key is don't apply a wet drippy layer apply a very thin coat. Enjoy for about 2 weeks :) (if no rain)

the paint brush is the way to GO...
IT LEAVES THE TIRE SHINY with NO EXCESS, more shiny then any other method including those foam blocks.
Simply because the brush, BRUSHES the GEL on WHILE the foam blocks and rags we all use basically PUSH THE GEL over the tire.

WIPE OLD CRUD WITH TOWEL,
APPLY WITH PAINT BRUSH
WIPE EXCESS OFF RIM
WAIT 10 MINUTES AND DRIVE-:thumbup:

avibhogal
12-25-2006, 07:35 PM
I use simple liquid armor all not the foam!

laidback
12-25-2006, 11:54 PM
Just my 2 cents...armor all tends to make your tire spin if applied too much...and letting the tire dressing dry is the main key...

TOGWT
12-26-2006, 07:07 AM
Tyre Cleaner:
The most important thing you can do to protect the durability of vehicle tyres is to ensure they are clean. For any type of protect ant to work well on rubber first remove any brake dust, road tar, grease and grime, wax and dead rubber from the surface to properly clean it. 3M Tire and Wheel cleaner quickly and safely clean the rubber tyres and helps tyre dressing and / or UVR protection (303***8482; Aerospace Protectant) durability. Leaving tyres rubber surfaces with a brilliant shine, cleaning the toughest scuffs and soil from sidewalls

Cleaning Tyres:
Rinse thoroughly with a fairly strong stream of clean water to remove any loose road dirt etc., from tyre***8217;s and wheel wells.
Clean brake dust, road dirt, asphalt, etc from tyres with a rubber cleaner (3M Tire & Wheel Cleaner -39036) or a citrus-based APC (P21S Total Auto Wash) Spray cleaner on to a clean surface, agitate with a stiff tyre brush
Clean whitewalls / lettering with Race Glaze Whitewall Tyre Cleaner (http://www.raceglaze.co.uk )wire wool or a fairly stiff wire brush
Rinse and apply a tyre dressing, use a water-based polymer tyre dressing (Zaino Z-16 Perfect Tire Gloss***8482; with inbuilt UVR protection)
Apply a (UVR) protection to the tyres (303***8482; Aerospace Protectant).

Tyre Dressings:
a)Water based dressings- PDMS (usually a milky-white liquid) does not contain silicone oils, petroleum distillates, waxes, or solvents that can harm rubber and / or vinyl over time. Most water-based dressings use a combination of natural oils and polymers to offer a non-greasy, satin finish. Most of these products also contain UV blocking agents to help keep tires from cracking, fading and hardening. Most, if not all water-based dressings are biodegradable, whereas silicone is not. (Zaino Z-16 Perfect Tire Gloss***8482;, also contains UV Radiation protection)

b)Silicone-based dressings- DMS (usually a clear greasy liquid) that do not contain UV radiation protection and contain petroleum distillates as a cleaning agent. The difference is in the carrier system used. Solvent based products use a hydrocarbon solvent to suspend the product. When you apply it, the solvent evaporates leaving the dressing's active ingredients (Silicone oil) behind; this type of silicone is also not biodegradable. (Eagle One***174; Tire Shine Spray & Gel)

c)Application- spray a little dressing on sponge/applicator, spread evenly across the tyre surface, remove excess dressing and allow to dry before using the vehicle, if you prefer a matt finish wipe tyre with a cloth

Boxboss
12-26-2006, 08:41 AM
I'm a fan of 303 Protectant:

1. Water based
2. UV protectant
3. Won't sling off
4. IS NOT shiney

If you like shine on your tyres, 303 is not for you, but if you want a UV protected black tyre, this is the product to use.

picus
12-26-2006, 11:11 AM
I use Z16x2, apply, let dry, re-apply. Bonuses = nice shine, uv protection, won't sling, and best of all it lasts through a few washes.

stream
12-26-2006, 11:13 AM
I'm a fan of 303 Protectant:

1. Water based
2. UV protectant
3. Won't sling off
4. IS NOT shiney

If you like shine on your tyres, 303 is not for you, but if you want a UV protected black tyre, this is the product to use.

Agreed--been using 303 for 20 years with great results.

Eviil30
12-26-2006, 11:16 AM
i use meguires hot shine, works great doesn't sling off, and it has three different settings for differeent profiles

Walksbimmer
12-26-2006, 01:46 PM
I would agree with the others... Meguiar's works well (first choice) and the Black Magic works well too (second choice)... not a big fan of Armor All... that's just me...

I spray a little on a sponge and wipe the tire with it... by the time I've done all four, I'm set to go... if I'm not in a rush to leave, then I'll come back in an hour and add another fresh swipe with the sponge again for an even more aggressive shine... and then let it dry...

The Meguiar's gel is probably the best for a long lasting shine that won't come off after your first little puddle....

ryanzak
01-02-2007, 08:39 PM
I'm a big fan of the Zaino Z-16... I apply usually 2 coats sometimes 3... It lasts at least 3+ washes...

dboy11
01-03-2007, 01:05 PM
Where I can recommend some products for your tires, its the process that you are using that is causing the sling.

As stated here the tires need to be clean, any decent all purpose cleaner will do this, simple green, 409, etc, I mix mine 50/50 with water.....For applicator I like to use a masonry sponge they are very fine and spread evenly...wet the sponge lightly and apply your tire product to the sponge, wipe the tire down, the water and product will go right into the groves of the tire...I turn the sponge over at this point and wipe the tire again to pickup excess product. If you are planning on driving right away wipe the tire with a cotton towel in a dabbing motion to pick up anything that is loose...any product should dry in about 30 minutes and should not sling after this process.

As for tire dressing look for water based not oil they are faster drying and will not collect dust

beauport
01-03-2007, 02:33 PM
I'm a big fan of the Zaino Z-16... I apply usually 2 coats sometimes 3... It lasts at least 3+ washes...

Add one more to the list for Z-16, though I only use a single coat for a more satin, less glossly look. It does last well too.