PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of this Movado?

Newbie325cic
12-23-2002, 06:24 PM
http://www.jomashop.com/jomashop/movsesporedm1.html

I'm on the lookout for a new, classy watch and this one may fit the bill. How is Movado's reputation? How about the quality? The jewelery store wants $900 for it, but online it can be had for several hundred less. :dunno:

Opinions?...

TD
12-23-2002, 06:25 PM
It's a personal preference thing, but I've never liked the look of Movados.

·clyde·
12-23-2002, 06:28 PM
Not to my tastes either. I do like E46s however ;)

jw
12-23-2002, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by Clyde@work
Not to my tastes either. I do like E46s however ;)

Not to my liking either. I prefer the traditional look of my GMT-Master II. You can probably pick up used ones on eBay for $1500-$3000 and it will last a lifetime.

Kaz
12-23-2002, 06:48 PM
I've never liked Movados either. :dunno: My 'aspirational' watch right now is a Zenith El Primero of some sort.

In the meantime I want a Tissot T-Touch Ti as a 'play' watch. :D

doeboy
12-23-2002, 07:04 PM
Ditto.... not a big Movado fan.... :dunno:

This is one of my favorites....

Breitling Crosswind (http://www.breitling.com/en/models/windrider/cwind/index.php?size=1024&fs=no)

LarryN
12-23-2002, 07:13 PM
Like like that watch.:thumbup: Although (like jw) I have a GMT Master II, I was thinking of getting that same watch. Great price as well. $475 for a sapphire crystal watch isgreat. The crystal on my GMT has gone through some rough time, unscathed. :thumbup:

One thing about the Rolex's are they keep their value. I think I paid $1150 for mine about 12 yrs ago, it's worth more than that on resale now, and the new costs are going through the roof. That won't happen with the Movado, but it's a neat looking watch.

AF
12-23-2002, 07:31 PM
I like that Movado . . . I've got a hand me down Movado from my father years ago . . . it's not my favorite watch but it's decent,

Tghe one in tht picture is much nicer then mine and I would buy it esepcially for that price

My daily watch is a fairly new tag . . . it's a great everyday sporty watch.

JLee
12-23-2002, 07:32 PM
i bought the movado ladies sport watch for my wife

its pretty nice !

at first i was real skeptical about jomashop but i took a chance and it looks like the real thing, i actually had a real one in hand so i compared the two in case the jomashop one was fake

but it was real enough

jeff

RaceTripper
12-23-2002, 07:37 PM
The Movado is OK, but I like the Tag Heuer Kirium Formula 1 much better. It has a black face somewhat similar to a Movado, but a quick twist of the crown brings up the digital chrono functions.

What's really cool about it is the sapphie crystal with antiglare on both sides -- it looks like you can reach out and touch the hands. Has sort of the M3 Carbon Black look.

I just love this watch. MSRP is $2395 wih the steel bracelet, a bit less with the vulcanized rubber band (several choices, one of which has a Formula 1 tire tread pattern that I'm thinking about getting as an alternate band).

http://www.wette.us/~dean/images/kiriumf1.jpg

JLee
12-23-2002, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by dwette

http://www.wette.us/~dean/images/kiriumf1.jpg

i'm with you !, the movado was for my wife to keep her happy

i'm wearing nothin unless its this watch

jeff

Randy Forbes
12-23-2002, 07:44 PM
I have to agree about the Sapphire Crystal, my watch goes to work with me and gets banged around once in a while...
My wife bought me the Tag F1 for my birthday a year ago. I think that its features are outstanding!

http://www.tagheuer.com/watches/detail.lbl?watch=CL111A.BA0700&search=s:4;F:5;T:0;C:s;

JST
12-23-2002, 07:52 PM
Bought a Movado for my wife, and the bracelet broke. Took it back, got a new one, and the bracelet broke on that one too. I'm not so impressed with the quality.

beauport
12-23-2002, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by TD

ditto. I have this thing for traditional Swiss watches that are built like trucks but don't keep as good a time as my $29 Casio.

brave1heart
12-23-2002, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by TD

Same here. They look too sterile and boring. I like sports watches but I'd never spend more than a few hundred dollars on a watch. Watches that are $1,000+ do nothing better than much cheaper watches. They may last a little longer, I guess. Then again, I don't wear jewelry either...

Mr. The Edge
12-23-2002, 08:11 PM
I'd never spend more than $150 or so on a watch

e28Will
12-23-2002, 08:15 PM
what about the titanium seamaster? like the other swiss watches, it's built like a tank, and it's light aswell

Artslinger
12-23-2002, 08:41 PM
I'll take a good cheap Fossil, they all keep the same time anyways.

·clyde·
12-23-2002, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by atyclb
I'd never spend more than $150 or so on a watch

It's pretty stupid to spend much more than $100 on a watch, IMO. Of course, that didn't stop me from spending over $1k on one. :rolleyes: :banghead:

Beats buying a wing for my Touring though ;)

ayn
12-23-2002, 09:15 PM
I don't like Movado at all, it looks weird to me... It's kindda an expensive quartz watch. If you absolutely want a quartz watch, get the X33. Otherwise if you want a nice watch I'd look into spending a little more and get an automatic watch.

Look into Omega and Panerai, I think u'll like the PAM50 if you like that Movado. Also look into the Omega Seamaster Aqua Tera.

--Andrew

LIL RAJA
12-23-2002, 10:44 PM
movados r so 80s with skinny ties...

lil raja

Hercules
12-23-2002, 11:54 PM
In the end, a watch does nothing more than tell time.

I'll stick to using my cellphone for that purpose :)

The HACK
12-24-2002, 10:37 AM
http://www.exoticar.com/images/products/prod/11391.jpg

I'd love to get one of these...

machmeter
12-24-2002, 11:00 AM
Don't be a *****. Get a watch that will last practically forever and is, above all, unique.

"The dial also features an eclipse indicator. The hand on this dial makes one revolution over a period of 346.62 days, also called an "eclipse year."

Half a turn will be made in 173.41 days. When the hand hits the blue colored area, somewhere on earth a solar eclipse is possible, depending on the position of the moon in relation to the sun.

The movement is beautifully finished and engraved entirely by hand. The rotor is in solid gold.

Christiaan van der Klaauw makes each watch himself, production is extremely limited."

Price
$15,400

Spectre
12-24-2002, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Hercules
In the end, a watch does nothing more than tell time.

In the end, a car does nothing more than take you places. Do you really want to make that argument? You would be driving a Honda Civic if that's all you wanted from a car.

Sure, my Submariner tells me the time (and not even as well as my Casio triple sensor). It's also a beautiful work of art that I enjoy looking at, which I cannot say of the Casio.

For some of us, watches stir the soul in much the same way cars do.

machmeter
12-24-2002, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Spectre
For some of us, watches stir the soul in much the same way cars do.

It's true. A watch that is beautiful and performs unique functions perfectly is a joy to own.