PDA

View Full Version : Anybody use your polish on a guitar?

johnnygraphic
12-22-2006, 03:17 PM
Slightly off-topic, but has anybody used their PC and the foam pads to polish the finish on a guitar? I have a black Fender '62 Reissue with the nitro finish that I wanted to slightly sand (2000 grit) and then polish it out with the PC. I want to take down the amount of finish on the guitar VERY SLIGHTLY.

Any reason NOT to do it? I guess, I just have too much time on my hands this winter!!! :rofl:

Thanks!

Johnny

BmW745On19's
12-22-2006, 08:42 PM
Slightly off-topic, but has anybody used their PC and the foam pads to polish the finish on a guitar? I have a black Fender '62 Reissue with the nitro finish that I wanted to slightly sand (2000 grit) and then polish it out with the PC. I want to take down the amount of finish on the guitar VERY SLIGHTLY.

Any reason NOT to do it? I guess, I just have too much time on my hands this winter!!! :rofl:

Thanks!

Johnny
I was thinking about doing that with my guitar. Not sure how to do it, I'd ask a furniture polisher guy how to do it.

johnnygraphic
12-22-2006, 11:43 PM
I was thinking about doing that with my guitar. Not sure how to do it, I'd ask a furniture polisher guy how to do it.

I guess it isn't so much 'how' to do it, as I'd go in steps. 2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper to take down the nitro just a hair, then Menzerna Intensive Polish, Final Polish and then a wax.

Just wanted to know if anyone has tried it or if anyone would know a reason why NOT to do it. I am assuming that the nitro cellulose paint on my guitar is similar to the paint on a car, so I won't do any harm to my guitar.

Thanks!

Johnny

johnnygraphic
12-24-2006, 06:54 PM
I actually was checking out the StewMac website and there is some info on finishing a guitar. In it, it has specific sandpaper, polish and foam pads for guitars. You'll never guess who one of the manufacturers are of the polish. It's Menzerna!!! (on a stick nonetheless).

So, I gave it a test run on the backside edge of my Strat. 2000 grit and then followed up with Intensive Polish and then Final Polish, all by hand. It came out nice, got rid of a lot of the smaller scratches and left it nice and smooth. I also did part of the back of the neck (skipped the sandpaper). Same results.

I did notice in the screw holes for the back cover plate that goes over the tremolo spring cavity, that the paint is fairly thick. A smidgen over 1/64". So, a little sanding and some polishing will take it down with some room to breathe.

I'll have to set aside some time to do the entire guitar.

Johnny