PDA

View Full Version : facelift questions

chris325ci
12-23-2002, 09:42 PM
A few questions:

1. Does anyone know if the new sports package will have clears or are they gonna change to the ugly ambers? I don't understand why they would put ambers on the sports package after just changing to clears in 2002.

2. Does anyone know if the rims will be type 44s for the sports package or is that going to change also?

3. If I stick with the 2003 325ci, how bad will the depreciation be?

4. Any idea on how much the price will increase for the new model?

5. Will their be a power increase for the new 325ci?

I am now in a great debate whether I should postpone my order for the facelifted 325ci. If I decide to wait for the facelifted model I will be forced to buy a cheap used car (preferably a Honda in the 1-2K range). This causes a hassle due to the tough CA emissions. Do you think the hassle is worth it? :dunno: I am very happy with the current model, but I feel the new model is equally as nice. It just kills me to think I would have to wait an additional 3-4 months for the new model.:banghead:

Any feedback would be appreciated.

PhilH
12-24-2002, 06:05 AM
Most of the questions you asked won't be answerable until just before the release of the facelifted car for the US market. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong on this, but that should be about a month ahead of time, or sometime in February. IMO, a power increase for the 2.5 liter motor in March is extremely doubtful.

As for an estimate of depreciation, check http://www.edmunds.com/new/2003/bmw/3series/325cirwd2drcoupe25l6cyl5m/tco.html?id=lin0648

Should you wait for the facelift and hassle with a beater? Totally up to you. When I had the chance, I could have cancelled my order to wait for a 6-spd 2004. I was even warned last month (by The Hack) that there could be a horsepower increase for the 330i next year. However, there was no way in hell I could wait any longer to finally order my E46.

chris325ci
12-26-2002, 11:57 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately, my situation is a little more complicated. I am currently in Korea and I am purchasing the car through a military sales program. I will be moving back to the bay area in March. The military sales program has its benefits (cheaper cost) but also has its drawbacks (longer wait). From what I understand I am last priority behind dealer and ED orders. That said, my salesman told me that if I want to delay my order, the earliest my car could be produced would be May or June due to the backorders for the new model. On top of that, travel time to the west coast would be approximately 9 weeks because BMW of NA will not have control of the car until it clears customs. Therefore, I am looking at an additional six months before I would be able to receive the new model. The extra wait and hassle of purchasing/selling a cheap car/moped:lmao: is just not worth it. I want my E46 as soon as possible.

Chris

DN325CI
12-27-2002, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by frog
Chris

When you order thru the military sales program the order is scheduled within the production queue along with everyone else. Your order is not treated like a red-headed stepchild with your car having to wait to be built after all the others are completed. Many friends and relatives have done the military sales in record time, start to finish, within 10 weeks.

Your salesmans statement about "backorders of the new model" is complete horses**t. Nobody knows about this March facelift except the rednecks that troll around on these BMW boards. The general buying public could care less about this very minor facelift. Demand will not be increasing. This is just in your salesmans noggin. The production line will not be slowing down at all. The only time that BMW has delays in production is at the first of the model year, September and October when their cranking out the "new" model year units. This is why they don't do any special orders until November. Speak to another salesman or even better the sales manager. Ask them again if these babies will be '03 or '04 designated. If '04 then definately wait. Don't want that added depreciation so soon!

Order the car in Febuary for late March early April production. It takes maybe 12 days to build and to be trucked to port.

Das boot takes only 25 days from Bremerhaven to Port Hueneme in Ventura County. The vehicles clear customs within two days. The time at the VPC is maybe three days maximum.

Get a rickshaw for the interim or a motorcycle. The hardest thing to do when your young and full of beans is to be patient. Pushing an untenable position or operating from shaky ground could get you shoot to pieces. Figuratively speaking of course. Tough it out for God's sakes. Your an American soldier!

:thumbup:

Well said frog. My opinion completely.

chris325ci
12-30-2002, 11:35 PM
Frog,

I took your advice and contacted another salesman. He told me that he would be able to fit me in for April production. I then told my salesman who said the reason he believes April production will not be possible is because of all 2003 325ci models being sold out. The other salesman confirmed this for me as well. This sounds funny to me???

Both dealers confirmed for me that 2004 production is starting in April, so I went ahead and changed my order. My purchase order even stated 2004 as the model year being built. I ordered from the same salesman and he still believes that I am looking at possible May production. Would it be possible for one dealer to ascertain an earlier production date than the other? If so, would I be able to change my current order to the other salesman? In any case, it looks like I will be driving a sh*tbox for a little while...patience Chris, patience :banghead:

Artslinger
12-31-2002, 06:49 AM
Man I wish I had a crystal ball.

The 2003 330i HP looks like a great car. Maybe the smart thing to do would be to wait for the 2005 model, but I'm a little worried about the Bangle influenced styling... I anticipate mechanically the 2005 model be a improvement over the current model (more HP and improved manual transmission).

Atlantis
12-31-2002, 12:59 PM
I may be able to confirm the change in MY designation in the next few days. I ordered a facelift 320Ci Clubsport yesterday from B&K alles klar in Hamburg for March production. I'm just waiting for the official BMW order form to come through the post (air mail from Germany to the UK takes a couple of days).

Roll on April for delivery! :)

chris325ci
01-05-2003, 08:17 PM
Frog,

My purchase order does state 2004 as the model year. I am not the only one. I read in another forum that someone just recently ordered an M3 through military sales here in Korea as well. His/Her purchase order also stated 2004 as the model year. Apparently, the dealers here in Korea seem to know more than the ones stateside. My dealer also assured me that the car would be a 2004. I doubt he would tell me that if he was not sure since he knows I postponed my order based on the change in model year.

The old MG would be a great idea. I have always had a fascination with and desire to own an old MG or Austin, but I will be commuting long distances quite often (east bay to south bay) and owning such a car would not be practical. I am thinking an old Toyota or Honda would be right up my alley. Not much fun, but I will appreciate the bimmer that much more once it arrives:)

If I receive more information before BMW officially releases it, I will let you know.

Chris

tyler2you
01-05-2003, 11:25 PM
I'm the other guy in Korea who ordered the M3. My purchase order definitely says MY 2004.

My dealer gave me an approximate delivery date of late June to early July based on my 31 Dec order.

I have heard that there is a small price increase coming (about 1%) as well as color changes (Topaz blue and Steel gray being replaced by mystic blue and silver gray). Dealer said he would contact me in February to confirm changes and price increase.

Chris--are you dealing with Kolon Motors at Osan or Yeongsan?

chris325ci
01-06-2003, 06:19 AM
tyler2you,

I'm dealing with Kolon at Osan, how about yourself? I ordered my car on 31 Dec as well. When is your production week? Is your car being delivered to the west or east coast? I should find out my production week in the next few days. I can't wait to see the new colors. You gotta love these Korean winters:yikes: So now the long wait begins...:banghead:

tyler2you
01-06-2003, 12:39 PM
Chris,

I'm dealing with Charle at Osan as well. He said he should know something about my production week later this month. Did he give you a specific day?

My car is being delivered to Colorado, so I'm guessing west coast although I don't know for sure. I'm looking at about a 2 month wait for my car after I get back. Should have ordered earlier, but I was waiting on my assignment before I did anything.

Yeah, the winters here are worse than Colorado. I'm at Kunsan and we got dumped on with about 8 inches of snow over the weekend.

Tyler

DN325CI
01-06-2003, 01:04 PM
FYI:

Detroit show pictures

http://autoshow.msn.com/autoshow2003/article.aspx?xml=BMW

jrubens
01-06-2003, 03:03 PM
from MSN:

Also new is the revised 3-Series coupe and convertible. The 2004 model features adaptive headlights, updated front-end styling and an available sequential manual gearbox (SMG). A Performance Package is also available for the 330i, which boosts horsepower to 235, and for the first time in a 330i, a six-speed manual transmission will be standard. To go with the added power, the Performance Package adds a new sports suspension and 18-inch wheels with mixed-size performance tires.

http://autoshow.msn.com/autoshow2003/article.aspx?xml=BMW

jrubens
01-06-2003, 07:44 PM
from bmwusa.com

The 2004 3 Series Coupe and Convertible will not only bring fresh new looks but also a number of innovations that will enhance both the driving dynamics and active safety. The 330Ci Coupe and Convertible now offer refined lines, redesigned headlights, adaptive brake lights, and standard 6-speed manual transmission.

jrubens
01-06-2003, 07:46 PM
also from bmwusa.com

The 330Ci Coupe and Convertible are renown for their driving dynamics. Those dynamics will be further enhanced for 2004 with the addition of a standard six-speed manual transmission. This fall both the 325Ci and 330Ci Coupes and Convertibles will be available with an optional six-speed Sequential Manual Gearbox. The 2004 3 Series Coupe and Convertible begin production in March and arrive at BMW centers in April.

PhilH
01-06-2003, 07:51 PM
So the sedan will remain a 2003 model and the 330i will stay with a 5-spd until September?

jrubens
01-06-2003, 07:53 PM
Well, that way the performance package is extra-special and might make sales that the sedan would otherwise get.

They can get 6 months out of the PP, with it being the only six speed in town, and then update the sedan for the standard 2004 cycle.

Glad I'm looking at convertibles, though. i don't have to wait for the six speed.

chris325ci
01-06-2003, 08:27 PM
Frog,

Thanks for the confirmation, now its for sure. I'm glad I took your advice:D

Chris

chris325ci
01-06-2003, 08:34 PM
Tyler,

Charle said he would have my production week today or tomorrow. I will let you know once I get it. I'm assuming we will get similar production weeks:dunno:

Chris

tyler2you
01-06-2003, 08:46 PM
Chris,

I sent you a PM with my e-mail. Probably best we don't annoy the other folks on the board with our production numbers etc.

Thanks.

Tyler