PDA

View Full Version : I got robg's car for a loaner

nate
12-24-2002, 07:52 AM
Black/Black 325i SP manual

Not bad, the steering and clutch could be better though. Very stiff body, no rattles.

Weird engine sound though :dunno:

edit: The Contis are nice and smooth riding, no grip though...

nate
12-24-2002, 08:03 AM
And, why the hell does your car have to drive better than it has in the last two weeks when you are trying to show the service people the problem :mad:

AF
12-24-2002, 08:19 AM
Nate, how does the power of your 328 compare to the 325 ?

nate
12-24-2002, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by Alan F
Nate, how does the power of your 328 compare to the 325 ?

This is pretty fast, feels faster than it is because the engine revs very quickly.

I would say my 328 is significantly faster

I wonder if they would notice if I swapped differentials and rims :D

nate
12-26-2002, 08:39 AM
Not as nice as the coupe, but not bad!

nate
12-26-2002, 08:40 AM
I like the gearbox in the 328/330 better, clutch too...

I like that 3.15 differential a lot though :(

Patrick
12-26-2002, 08:59 AM
Is robg's car going to need new brakes after your loaner-ship is over?? :D :D

Patrick

nate
12-26-2002, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by Patrick 520iAT

Patrick

It definitely needs an oil change!

-1500 miles! :yikes:

tgravo2
12-26-2002, 04:45 PM
hey nate what school did you take that pic in front of

brave1heart
12-26-2002, 05:23 PM
I swapped my 325 with a friend's E46 328 for a couple of days last year. The difference in power is minimal once you get past 4K RPM's in the 325 but the low-end torque and mid-range go to the 328 hands-down. The 328 is about 1/2 sec quicker 0-60 and ~ 2 sec quicker 0-100 (18 vs. 20 sec). Both cars were stock. My 325 had a much better shifter and exhaust sound. The 328 had a slightly better clutch feel. My 325i's retrofitted steering was nearly identical to the 328's. Overall, the 325 needs more work to squeeze the juice out of but that makes it very rewarding to drive.

brave1heart
12-26-2002, 05:26 PM
Forgot to mention that the ECIS CAI that I installed took care of the lack of sufficient low-end torque in my 325...

bmw325
12-26-2002, 05:48 PM
What year is it?

What do you mean by weird engine sound? I think the 325 and 330s have more induction noise than the 323s and 328s did-- is that what you mean?

Its cool that your dealer has manual loaners-- that's almost unheard of.

Does it have fold-down seats? If not, that may be why it doesn't squeak or rattle too much.

I agree that the clutch really sucks. What don't you like about the shifter--is the 328's smoother?

So, would you ever come over to the "dark side" and trade your coupe for a sedan?

Don't be too hard on my car...there aren't too many like it in the US. :)

AF
12-26-2002, 05:50 PM
Hey Nate,

If you really want it to be like rob's car you need to swap out the ambers for clears . . . try circleBMW, they have good prices for them

bmw325
12-26-2002, 05:52 PM
Hey Nate,

If you really want it to be like rob's car you need to swap out the ambers for clears . . . try circleBMW, they have good prices for them

True. The clears were my 1 frivolous mod-- but I just like them so much better than the ambers.

AF
12-26-2002, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by robg
True. The clears were my 1 frivolous mod-- but I just like them so much better than the ambers.

I think they look great too but Nate obviously cheaped out with his 325i :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

brave1heart
12-26-2002, 08:00 PM

I like my ambers - they go well with OB. On black, though, clears look better.

AF
12-26-2002, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by brave1heart
I like my ambers - they go well with OB. On black, though, clears look better.

I agree, the ambers look best on the OB :thumbup:

nate
12-26-2002, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by tgravo2
hey nate what school did you take that pic in front of

This is in Houston, not NOLA

nate
12-26-2002, 09:24 PM
I swapped my 325 with a friend's E46 328 for a couple of days last year. The difference in power is minimal once you get past 4K RPM's in the 325 but the low-end torque and mid-range go to the 328 hands-down. The 328 is about 1/2 sec quicker 0-60 and ~ 2 sec quicker 0-100 (18 vs. 20 sec). Both cars were stock. My 325 had a much better shifter and exhaust sound. The 328 had a slightly better clutch feel. My 325i's retrofitted steering was nearly identical to the 328's. Overall, the 325 needs more work to squeeze the juice out of but that makes it very rewarding to drive.

The retrofit steering on my mom's 330 is not even close to the 328. The actual road feel is very good, but excessive play once above 40mph.

There is no exhaust sound on either car. The shifter on my 328 is MUCH better, IMO. Don't like the clutch too much on the 325.

I have Dinan S/W & intake, btw..

nate
12-26-2002, 09:28 PM
What year is it?

What do you mean by weird engine sound? I think the 325 and 330s have more induction noise than the 323s and 328s did-- is that what you mean?

Its cool that your dealer has manual loaners-- that's almost unheard of.

Does it have fold-down seats? If not, that may be why it doesn't squeak or rattle too much.

I agree that the clutch really sucks. What don't you like about the shifter--is the 328's smoother?

So, would you ever come over to the "dark side" and trade your coupe for a sedan?

Don't be too hard on my car...there aren't too many like it in the US. :)

Yea, I like the manual loaners. I had a 540 last year, also a 328i and Z3 before that. Too bad the 540 was an auto.

No fold downs, the car is very stiff.

Hard to compare ride and handling, because the the shocks on my car are SO worn out. The sedan rides higher and is floatier.

The gearbox on the 328 is significanly better, as is the clutch. I find myself pulling the 325 out of gear too early.

Overall, a very nice car. Looks great. I wouldn't mind a sedan, but I don't like the face-lift. Maybe a 330 with good steering and no facelift, yum...

nate
12-26-2002, 09:41 PM
I think they look great too but Nate obviously cheaped out with his 325i :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

soooorrry...

I didn't even know he had clears

Besides, ambers look fine :rolleyes:

nate
12-26-2002, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by Patrick 520iAT

Patrick

I did induce some nice brake roasting smell this afternoon :)

Mystikal
12-26-2002, 09:56 PM
Out of their huge fleet of loaner 320i's and 325i's, my dealer has ONE manual. When I asked which engine it was, they couldn't even answer me. The car never sits for more than an hour. :yikes:

I specifically requested it from last week for tomorrow's service. I've got every finger crossed that I get it. :angel:

Here's the last loaner I got, a 325i step:

Mystikal
12-26-2002, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by nate328Ci
I did induce some nice brake roasting smell this afternoon :)

My car does that everytime I go out in the snow. ASC light is on (solid and not blinking, every seen that Nate?) more often than not.

I'm really curious as to how much extra wear my rear brakes are experiencing. :dunno:

nate
12-26-2002, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by Mystikal
Out of their huge fleet of loaner 320i's and 325i's, my dealer has ONE manual. When I asked which engine it was, they couldn't even answer me. The car never sits for more than an hour. :yikes:

I specifically requested it from last week for tomorrow's service. I've got every finger crossed that I get it. :angel:

Here's the last loaner I got, a 325i step:

Good luck! :thumbup:

I believe this dealer has a nice fleed of manual loaners, not as many as autos, but good enough :thumbup:

They brough up a auto once, and I said that I wanted manual. Next I knew, manual non-SP 328i came up :thumbup:

nate
12-26-2002, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by Mystikal
My car does that everytime I go out in the snow. ASC light is on (solid and not blinking, every seen that Nate?) more often than not.

nope

bmw325
12-26-2002, 10:33 PM
Overall, a very nice car. Looks great. I wouldn't mind a sedan, but I don't like the face-lift. Maybe a 330 with good steering and no facelift, yum... [/B]

Speaking of steering-- does the loaner car have the Cadillac steering? What do you think of it? Even w/ my retrofit problems, I'm glad to have ridded myself of that steering-- but I could see it being fun to play with for a little while.

nate
12-27-2002, 07:18 AM
Speaking of steering-- does the loaner car have the Cadillac steering? What do you think of it? Even w/ my retrofit problems, I'm glad to have ridded myself of that steering-- but I could see it being fun to play with for a little while.

Yea, it does.

I don't like it, never had. It is still better than a Cadillac or even Audi, but still not good.

Chris330Ci
12-27-2002, 08:20 AM
So how do you like the sport seats compared to yours..? :dunno:

nate
12-27-2002, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by Chris330Ci
So how do you like the sport seats compared to yours..? :dunno:

They are not as comfortable

AF
12-27-2002, 04:32 PM
They are not as comfortable

You are way too biased Nate . . . even when I had my 2001 330 and I got my hands on a 2002 330i, I had no problem admitting where it was better then my car . . . I could understand if you were driving an M3 but come on !?!? So far everything about your car is better then this 325 with sport !?!?

Mystikal
12-27-2002, 04:35 PM
You are way too biased Nate . . . even when I had my 2001 330 and I got my hands on a 2002 330i, I had no problem admitting where it was better then my car . . . I could understand if you were driving an M3 but come on !?!? So far everything about your car is better then this 325 with sport !?!?

It's has a lot to do with you body proportions, Alan. Seats are like clothes, what fits you nice and snug may be confining to the next guy.

nate
12-27-2002, 04:42 PM

What?

They are NOT AS COMFORTABLE! What is so hard to understand about that?

And, no, the 325 is better in many areas. It has much nicer wheels, and a much stiffer body. It even feels lighter (it isn't). Hard to compare a car on blown shocks to this one though. I like it, but it isn't as fast or as good looking. I like the sedan though, and wish my car was as stiff.

BTW, do you think a 325i is better than a 328i or Ci? Is that what you are implying? :dunno:

AF
12-27-2002, 05:08 PM

BTW, do you think a 325i is better than a 328i or Ci? Is that what you are implying? :dunno:

All I am saying is very simple . . . you are biased towards a black/grey 328Ci with premium package . . .

There is nothing else to read into other than that . . . don't get upset or anything . . . it's very normal for people to be like that with their car

nate
12-27-2002, 05:26 PM
All I am saying is very simple . . . you are biased towards a black/grey 328Ci with premium package . . .

There is nothing else to read into other than that . . . don't get upset or anything . . . it's very normal for people to be like that with their car

Ok, whatever...

I guess I just like faster cars with better steering, clutch, and gearbox. If that's a problem :dunno:

AF
12-27-2002, 08:32 PM
Ok, whatever...

I guess I just like faster cars with better steering, clutch, and gearbox. If that's a problem :dunno:

Better steering, clutch and gearbox ? ? Isn't that subjective ?

325i has:
Better handling, tighter ride (due to structually tighter), more flexible engine, better seats ;), engine growl :thumbup:

More advantages:
The reason it feels lighter is because of no sluggish steering, no sluggish throttle (in other words DBW)

BTW I admit those last 2 are subjective as well.

328Ci
- Slightly quicker, torquer engine

Overall I rate the cars very close to each other with the 328 getting the slight power advantage . . .

For the record I also rate the 325 very close to the 330 with the greater power advantage going to the 330. Yes I know the 330 has better brakes and some other minor upgrades but in the real world, they are basically the same car with one having a bigger engine over the other.

nate
12-27-2002, 08:53 PM
Better steering, clutch and gearbox ? ? Isn't that subjective ?

325i has:
Better handling, tighter ride (due to structually tighter), more flexible engine, better seats ;), engine growl :thumbup:

More advantages:
The reason it feels lighter is because of no sluggish steering, no sluggish throttle (in other words DBW)

BTW I admit those last 2 are subjective as well.

328Ci
- Slightly quicker, torquer engine

Overall I rate the cars very close to each other with the 328 getting the slight power advantage . . .

For the record I also rate the 325 very close to the 330 with the greater power advantage going to the 330. Yes I know the 330 has better brakes and some other minor upgrades but in the real world, they are basically the same car with one having a bigger engine over the other.

The 325 does not have better handling. It certainly does not have a more flexible engine. The engine sound sucks, the drone gets annoying. The ZF is a better feeling gearbox.

You are right about the steering, it does make the car feel lighter. The thottle is ok, tip in could should be sharper as in the 330. Have to give it a LOT of foot to rev match.

And, there is a huge torque difference between a 330 and 325. I drove both today.

AF
12-27-2002, 08:58 PM
The 325 does not have better handling. It certainly does not have a more flexible engine. The engine sound sucks, the drone gets annoying. The ZF is a better feeling gearbox.

You are right about the steering, it does make the car feel lighter. The thottle is ok, tip in could should be sharper as in the 330. Have to give it a LOT of foot to rev match.

And, there is a huge torque difference between a 330 and 325. I drove both today.

How could you say a 325i with sport package and 17" wheels doesn't out handle a 328 without 17" wheels ?

nate
12-27-2002, 09:10 PM
How could you say a 325i with sport package and 17" wheels doesn't out handle a 328 without 17" wheels ?

I bet the 328 has less sidewall flex, the 328 is lower and floats less.

The handling is similar.

AF
12-27-2002, 09:16 PM
More importantly . . . when are you getting your car back and what the heck are they doing to it ?

nate
12-27-2002, 09:22 PM
More importantly . . . when are you getting your car back and what the heck are they doing to it ?

I hope they replace the rear shocks, brake rotors, clutch, shock mounts, and some leaking trim. What they actually will do, :dunno:

I probably won't pick it up until Jan. 7th or so. Doubt it will be ready on Monday, and I'll be on a boat from the 31st until the weekend...

brave1heart
12-27-2002, 09:27 PM
I bet the 328 has less sidewall flex, the 328 is lower and floats less.

The handling is similar.

A 325i SP's ground clearance is 5". Are 328ci's lower than that :dunno: Or you are talking about YOUR lowered 328ci?

The 325 has a hum that's always present at highway speeds. I love the sound of it and it's definitely not a drone.

nate
12-27-2002, 09:36 PM
A 325i SP's ground clearance is 5". Are 328ci's lower than that :dunno: Or you are talking about YOUR lowered 328ci?

The 325 has a hum that's always present at highway speeds. I love the sound of it and it's definitely not a drone.

Well, the seating position is lower in my car. The coupes are supposed to be lower, and they cerainly feel that way. I really haven't measured the ground clearance, but a standard floor jack will not fit under my car. It appears to be less than 5 inches.

My car is not lowered.

And, I do not like the DRONE.