PDA

View Full Version : Crazy...

ryanzak
12-23-2006, 04:49 PM
Our 07 328i is only a week old.. I did my first intense car wash yesterday and noticed a few little spots on the paint.. almost like a flaw in the clear coat.. is this possible? Also above the pass door there is a pin head sized orange dot of rust I think... Could this be? Am I nuts? I will try to get a picture of it this weekend and post it.

The dealership supposedly applied some special paint protection Sh!#.. Not too happy with it.. I have been using Zaino on my Black Touareg and have been happy with it. Really happy in fact.. I want to get it on my 07 ASAP. Was wondering if I really should do the whole Dawn wash thing... Or I have been hearing about the iso/alcohol thing. Which would be best... Or can I just do my Griots paint clay with speed shine and just do that....?

Thirdly I had a question about rain.. I just washed the car last night and it rained on my way home today.. I used an Absorber synthetic chamois to quickly dry it off when I got into the garage. I made sure to only do the upper part of the car with that as I was worried about small dust particles from the lower half of the car.. I used a few micro fibre cloths for the lower half.. Was this a good thing to do or bad? I just worry about water spots until I Zaino..

Thanks!

Bill-SD
12-24-2006, 12:24 AM
Drying off a carafter it's been driven is asking for trouble...especially a black car.

Totoland
12-24-2006, 06:13 AM
Our 07 328i is only a week old.. I did my first intense car wash yesterday and noticed a few little spots on the paint.. almost like a flaw in the clear coat.. is this possible? Also above the pass door there is a pin head sized orange dot of rust I think... Could this be? Am I nuts? I will try to get a picture of it this weekend and post it.

Take a pic if you can. Given the surface area of cars, there's always a chance for a weak spot or a flaw. Don't know about the orange dot.

The dealership supposedly applied some special paint protection Sh!#.. Not too happy with it.. I have been using Zaino on my Black Touareg and have been happy with it. Really happy in fact.. I want to get it on my 07 ASAP. Was wondering if I really should do the whole Dawn wash thing... Or I have been hearing about the iso/alcohol thing. Which would be best... Or can I just do my Griots paint clay with speed shine and just do that....?

Usually, dealer applied paint protection products are sealants similar to Wolfgang, Perma-Plate, Klasse, etc. Zaino is good stuff, but I don't use it at the shop due to the procedure they want. You could wash the vehicle and start applying the Zaino polish. That in itself, will remove any prior wax/sealant.

Thirdly I had a question about rain.. I just washed the car last night and it rained on my way home today.. I used an Absorber synthetic chamois to quickly dry it off when I got into the garage. I made sure to only do the upper part of the car with that as I was worried about small dust particles from the lower half of the car.. I used a few micro fibre cloths for the lower half.. Was this a good thing to do or bad? I just worry about water spots until I Zaino..

I would not use an Absorber (or anything else) after a drive in the rain. A good product you can safely use is Optimum No-Rinse car wash and mix it in a spray bottle. Or, use it with 1 gallon of water in a bucket and wash the entire car. I use it all the time here in the midwest because it works well in a garage environment. FOLLOW THEIR INSTRUCTIONS TO THE LETTER! There's a lot of postings about ONR on Autopia Dot Org with examples of some "very" expensive cars done with this product and zero marring.

Thanks!

Totoland

Locksmythe
01-03-2007, 09:21 PM
Certainly don't dry the car. Ouch. It is much, much dirtier after one drive in the rain than a week driving dry roads.

I had the same problem - washed and dried for New Year's eve, then it rained all night.

Johnz3mc
01-04-2007, 01:28 AM
Your pinhead sized spot of orange rust may be just that.
It's a common finding with new cars caused by being shipped by train. Specks of metal from tracks and wheels will kick up and embed themselves into the surface of the paint. They rust and make the little spots.

The solution is to clay the surface and it'll pull out the little bits of rusty metal, then do your normal prep. The dealer doesn't have the time, money, or inclination to clay the car so these little bits of metal often remain on the surface. Only a car nut like yourself notices them and worries.
At least that's the common thought on those little spots. They aren't signs that your new car is falling apart, rather that it needs a little TLC after a trainride.
-John C.

TOGWT
01-04-2007, 04:01 AM
Even new cars that have been setting on a car dealerships lot for a few weeks can accumulate surface contamination; don't assume a vehicle that looks good is contamination free. Acid rain, road salt, tree sap and airborne contaminants are very detrimental to a vehicles paint film surface. Brake dust or rail dust are very small, almost microscopic particles of steel, iron or their alloys. These particles carry a negative charge while the vehicles they land on are carrying a positive charge. The vehicle surface becomes a magnet, attracting and bonding the ferrous metal particles to the vehicle surface.

Moisture and temperature create a corrosive chemical reaction with the metal particles. The corrosive chemical compounds generated then proceed to etch (corrode) the clear coat, penetrating and spreading the corrosives through the paint film surface (and the sheet metal), which results in erosion of the paint surface and corrosion, which shows on the surface as rust spots (rust blooms)

Detailer’s clay is an abrasive in an applicator (the malleable clay bar) the clay lubricant is doing the same thing for the clay's abrasives as the oils in a polish, which is working as a lubricant. The abrasives 'shear' the surface contaminates i.e. the top of the metallic particle leaving the rest imbedded in the paint, allowing it to continue generating damage (See also Reactivity) In these situations, I recommend an acid neutralizing wash followed by a corrosion inhibitor. You will find that a proper acid neutralizing wash will remove most of the ferrous oxide deposits and the remainder comes off very easily with clay

This 3-part system from Automotive International (A B C Decontamination / Neutralization system
(http:// www.autoint.com) comprises; Acid Neutralizer, Alkaline Neutralizer (Use detailer’s clay and the alkaline wash to remove stubborn ‘water spots’) and a Surface Conditioner (pH 7.0), which safely removes both surface and subsurface contamination and neutralizes any residual acid from the painted finish. Any subsequent etching requires an abrasive to level the paint surface

dboy11
01-04-2007, 09:57 AM

Thanks!

For paint defects I would watch them to see that they do not get worse, factory defects in paint are common, even on BMW's...The orange dot would concern me see if the clay dose anything

To remove any that is on the car use clay and forget the dish soap, you can buy a clay kit OTC at any decent auto parts store, or online

You any idea what the dealership put on your car? Perma Plate?

Regardless I would polish the car to clean up the swirls if any and then head for your Zaino line up....you will not be hurting anything no matter what the dealership put on.