PDA

View Full Version : Emergency Triangle Retaining Clip--Got One?

325xi_dc
12-24-2002, 09:30 AM
If you do, and you drive a late-model 3-series, would you please post the part number? I ordered the triangle, but it didn't ship with its retaining clip. The parts guys seem confused that you actually have to strap the thing to the side of the trunk. (There's even an illustration of it secured by a strap or clip or whatever in the owner's manual. Something is holding it in.)

Their approach seems to be, "we'll order another triangle, and see what happens." But I fear we'll repeat ourselves. Having a P/N might help. Thanks.

325xi_dc
12-24-2002, 02:15 PM
:dunno: Anyone?

Pinecone
12-24-2002, 07:07 PM
What a lame parts guy. I found it in my ETK in about 3 minutes and he should know how to get around better than I do.

Part number 51 71 8 215 277

Parts Diagram 51_3743

This is what I found looking for the one for a E46 M3. They are probably the same. This is the small plastic piece that snaps into the hole above the depression int eh left corner of the trunk.

Terry Kennedy
12-24-2002, 10:06 PM
Any idea where the triangle goes in a 325xiT wagon? I looked around but couldn't see anything obvious.

325xi_dc
12-24-2002, 10:37 PM
Appreciate the info. I'll forward it to the parts guys. Thanks.

Pinecone
12-25-2002, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by Terry Kennedy
Any idea where the triangle goes in a 325xiT wagon? I looked around but couldn't see anything obvious.

My ETK doesn't seem to list one for the Touring models. So not sure where it would go.

The Z3s have a depression in the trunk wall along the inside of the part between the tail lights.

The E46 M3 has a small rectangular depression in the left side plastic piece on the trunk floor. Above that is a pop out carpet stud that is the mouting for the bracket so the triangle mounts vertically.

I would also look around where the tools are, or spare tire.

Pinecone
12-25-2002, 07:40 AM
Oops, searched for the wrong word. :banghead:

It is listed, but no mounting info. It is listed on the same daigram as the tool bag and tools, including the tow hook and jack crank.

Hope this helps.