PDA

View Full Version : My BMW service experience.

Artslinger
12-24-2002, 11:33 AM
Well I had my car in last week for a idle control problem and a radio reception problem.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16697&highlight=idle+problems

I make my appointment and finally get the car in after a 2 1/2 week wait. So last Monday I drop the car off. I get a 330 as loaner, my first loaner ever after a year of service visits, so I'm thinking this is going well.

The service rep tells me he will call and let me know how everything is going. So 3:30 rolls around and no call from the rep so I get on the phone and the person who answers says the rep will get right back to me he's on the phone right now. I wait an hour and no call, so I give my rep another call and he tells me we couldn't get your car in the queue today. Ok why make a appointment and tell me to bring the car in if they can't even look at the car.

4:00 Tuesday afternoon rolls around and no call, so on the phone the rep says the tech is standing right here and the cars idle fluctuation is normal. I mention the car has stalled on me twice so he tells this to the tech and the tech says that he cannot duplicate the problem so I tell him that the odds of them duplicating the problem is not going to happen and can they run any diagnostics on the car and he's says no, but good news we will replace your radio with an upgraded radio unfortunately the radios are on back order. Two days wait for them to spend 10 minutes looking at my car... bullsheet!

No use arguing a point I will not win so off I go to the dealer to pick up my car. I stop by the service pickup window and she says "I don't have the paper work on the car" an goes off to find my rep. The rep comes back to me and tells me they lost my keys! He tells me they are looking for them, half an hour later he tells me they can't find them and the tech must have them in his pocket and taken them home with him! The rep says "I'll give you a call first thing in the morning". So I drive home ticked off saying to myself if I didn't enjoy driving my car so much I would never by another car from BMW.

11:30 Wednesday arrives and no call from the dealer so I give my incompetent rep a call. The service manager says "oh he's out sick today", so I tell him my story about the lost keys and he's says I call you right back. An hour later no call, at this time I have had it and drive down to the dealer. I ask the first rep I see I want my car he finally tracks down the keys, and says someone will bring me my car. After 15 minutes the car attendant says my cars out front, they don't even pull the car up for me. On the way out I ask the service rep where my paperwork is and he tells me they will "mail it to me". I ask him what about my backordered radio, and he's says "oh someone will call when it comes in". With no paper work I seriously doubt that will happen.

Is the driving pleasure of a BMW worth putting up with this terrible service.

beauport
12-24-2002, 11:43 AM
....are you making this story up? If this is what happened I think the GM of the dealership needs to hear this.

Faheem Daddy
12-24-2002, 02:14 PM
Artslinger:

I've had just the same terrible service with my BMW dealer too. I took it in because the H/K system was rattling, they fixed it, and 2 weeks later the noise came back. I also told them that the right/front speaker was blown, he said they "ordered a part" and my serivce advisor said he'd call me in a week when it came in....its been 4 weeks since, and no phone call.

AB
12-24-2002, 02:53 PM
You can grab their attention FAST with a slew of unsatisfactory marks when you receive that form in the mail.

DrewM
12-24-2002, 05:33 PM
Sounds like my last few experiences at Century West in North Hollywood. I haven't had the chance to give my reviews...no forms in the mail or followup phone calls yet.:banghead:

Raffi
12-24-2002, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by DrewM
Sounds like my last few experiences at Century West in North Hollywood. I haven't had the chance to give my reviews...no forms in the mail or followup phone calls yet.:banghead:

Century West SUCKS @SS! I used to take my E36 there, and it would literally take them 6 visits to fix one problem... Go to Center BMW in Sherman Oaks and ask for Chris Previtere as your advisor. Tell him I sent you. He is awesome, and so is the rest of their staff. :thumbup: Their sales department, though, sucks badly. :thumbdwn: Go figure. :confused:

Artslinger
12-24-2002, 07:12 PM
Its times like my last BMW service visit that makes me miss the 60's and 70's era cars.

Any repairs or modifications you couldn't handle yourself... you could take he car to the local corner service station and the average Joe mechanic would usually fix the car the same day. You could go to the local part store and the store would usually carry any parts you needed.

Today's cars with the complexity of the mechanicals, outrageously expensive parts and labor, and warranty restrictions... I feel like I'm at the mercy of indifferent service departments.

SONET
12-24-2002, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by Dave 330i
I would have held on to the loaner until they call you. When they do call, tell them you will call them back because you are busy.
Unfortunately that little liability paper you sign when you take their loaner also states in the fine print (yes I took the time and read it heh) that you owe them X amount of dollars for every day you keep the car beyond the agreed return date. IIRC it was somewhere around $150/day. So the deck is stacked against you there.

Even if that did work, pissing off your mechanic when they have your car in their posession is like being rude to your waitor before you get your food. Whether you are aware of it or not something bad will likely happen and they will have the last laugh. :eek:

--SONET

SONET
12-24-2002, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by Raffi
Go to Center BMW in Sherman Oaks and ask for Chris Previtere as your advisor.
I have to second this. I stopped by Center BMW when I was visting family in S.O. and I have to say that their service and parts departments are fantastic. I picked up some oil and a few other little things and had them look at something on my car. My dad came with me and was also impressed. If I lived in that area I would definately go there for service.

--SONET

SONET
12-24-2002, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by Dave 330i
Paul, U're right in some respect. I just checked my previous loaner agreement. Back page, Prohibited Use 2 (b) in any race, test or competitve event (well, that eliminated my suggestion of tracking the car), but the front page... the return expiration date was left blank so you can keep it forever.
:lmao: Figures... mine was filled in! I am never that lucky! :tsk:

Their agreement might have a loophole though - it doesn't seem to exclude driving schools (as they aren't 'competitive'). Ethical implications aside, that could definately save some wear and tear on your car if you happen to have a driving school scheduled and they don't get your car back to you in time :angel:. I think the same loophole exists with regular car rental agreements. I'm sure you'd be in a sticky situation if something happened on the track though.

--SONET

vern
12-27-2002, 07:08 AM
My service experiences have beem great since I changed dealers and went to JMK.I can't fine anything wrong with the service work or the way they treat you.Maybe you should change dealers if you can and you will get lucky like I did.I also recomended JMK to others and they had good experiences with them.
good luck
vern

Artslinger
12-27-2002, 07:42 AM
I need a loaner because of our families new driving arrangements, and the other nearest service center is an extra 30-40 minute drive . Most dealers will not provide you with a loaner if you didn't purchase the car from them.

IMO there is no excuse why should I have to put up with this kind of service... the damn car is under warranty and this is a authorized BMW service center.