PDA

View Full Version : xiTmas day

·clyde·
12-26-2002, 09:25 AM
We left CT yesterday at 3:30pm and got home at 11:30pm. The trip is usally under five hours including stops. The firt hundred miles usually aren't in heavy snow either. Many sections of freeway in CT, NY and northern NJ only had one partially cleared lane. More than a few SUV idiots were seen barreling by in unplowed lanes only to be seen again shortly thereafter in a ditch, pointed in a funny direction. Lots of vehicles had traction issues when going up hill...Was behind an LS400 that wound up going sideways about 45 degrees to make it up one hill. The toughest part for us was making it up my motherinlaw's driveway, which is a steep incline that was covered by an inch of ice with an inch or so of snow on top of that.

I am still amazed by the GY Eagle RS-As. Even my thrashed set works incredibly well in the snow.

There are a few issues that I have with the car...Every few minutes, I had to reach out the window to grab and lift the driver side wiper blade to try and clear the ice buildup on the blade. A massive ice formation built up around the lower section of the passenger side arm which made a loud thunk every time it moved.

The other main gripe is how much of a pain it is to defog the windows. I don't think that I could clearly see out of the rear door windows at all the whole trip. Most of the trip only small sections of the front door indows were clear (the area covering the side mirrors).

Once again, I'm glad that we got the wagon. We fit a lot more stuff (read: bulky baby presents) in it than we ever would have been able to put in a sedan or coupe. I didn't realize just how much **** we had until I unloaded the car and looked at all the stuff in the foyer of our house.

Anyway, it was slow going for a while yesterday, but a hell of a lot of fun.

CD-55
12-26-2002, 09:44 AM
Clean windows fog less. I know yours are probably clean already, but try getting them super clean, with absolutely no finger prints or dust specs. You may notice that they fog less.

Dr. Phil
12-26-2002, 09:48 AM
Same issues here with wiper blades and defog :banghead: But as for getting through the snow :thumbup: RSA's and all :D

I did a 15 mile stretch in 8" unplowed snow, followed an Explorer who's driver was not wise and ending up ditching it in front of me on steep decline (my need to brake resulted in a slight side ways movement). Total of 95 miles yesterday of which ~ 10 where on roads that you could see the actual roadway :yikes:

Biggest peeve of the day, the idiot SUV/semi drivers who felt the need to pass me in the unplowed lane and wipe me out with slush :mad: I have heavy salting the whole way up the driver's side up to the roof line :flipoff: :mad: I would not have minded but I was going 45 to 50 the entire time.

Patrick
12-26-2002, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by PM 325xiT
Biggest peeve of the day, the idiot SUV/semi drivers who felt the need to pass me in the unplowed lane and wipe me out with slush :mad: I have heavy salting the whole way up the driver's side up to the roof line :flipoff: :mad: I would not have minded but I was going 45 to 50 the entire time.

Get that salt off asap! :confused:

I have been driving in snow/ice/slush for three winters with BMW station wagons and I have never had a problem with fogging up or ice chunks on the wiper blades. Those were problems I had with my 1967 Squareback however, and I do recall those glory days with a smile! :D

I am glad to hear that you xiT guys are having fun in the snow ... iAT also works fine in the white stuff! :D

Patrick

Josh (PA)
12-27-2002, 09:22 AM
I'm still amazed how well DSC works in the snow. So far in the two storms this winter, we've had absolutely no problems getting around in the 325i w/ Dunlop Winter Sports. I love driving in the snow, and when no one's around, I like shutting off the traction control and hanginig out the rear end. Without DSC winter driving can quickly get tricky, even with the snow tires, but hit the button and the whole process becomes brainless. The DSC nanny may be too easily envoked in dry weather, but it's a GREAT system in winter.

Patrick
12-27-2002, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by Josh (PA)
I'm still amazed how well DSC works in the snow.

My iAT doesn't have DSC ... :bawling:

Ahh, what the hell. It makes driving in freezing rain (like all day today) much more interesting! :D

Patrick

Nick325xiT 5spd
12-27-2002, 09:34 AM
I always turn DSC off for the snow. :p

CD-55
12-27-2002, 12:51 PM
Before going on my FL trip I changed my snow tires to my summer tires. Being lazy and busy, I had not put my snow tires back on for the recent Christmas snow.

My S-03’s are horrible in the snow! I have had to fight is just to not get stuck on level ground. Driving somewhere was completely out of the question since I was getting just maneuvering it from my garage, DOWNHILL to the street! Even going downhill, inch high chunks of ice are real roadblocks. Disabling the DSC helps, but twice I had to get out my snow shovel to clear a path.

DSC provides amazing stability and I always have it on when driving on snowy roads. Sometimes when I am actually stuck like I was with the summer tires on the snow, I need to disable it DSC just to get going. With winter tires, the DSC truly makes driving in control effortless.

In winter I find that the DSC works best (stability not speed), when I am heavy on the throttle. If I am leaving a stop sign and making a 90 degree turn, I will punch the throttle; the rear wheels will slip a quarter revolution, then the DSC kicks in and completely stabilizes the car so there is no yaw around the corner.

Where DSC fails is when you are turning and let off the gas… All the wheels are turning near the same speed, so the DSC can fails to realize that the rear end is whipping around and a 360 spin is imminent! I have found that punching the gas to activate the DSC or hitting brakes to activate the ABS helps remedy such a situation. Of course superb car control driving would help to. As I have described, car control methods used with the DSC on are different that you would use with DSC off (e.g. without DSC you don’t want to punch the gas when the rear end has already been over torqued).

Normally the driver can use the brake pedal to evenly apply braking force to each wheel, (F1 cars have a front / rear balance adjustment) but when the ABS is active… brake force is varied with different amounts electronically sent to each wheel in a way that is designed to most quickly stabilize and slow the car. Because the driver does not have access to 4 brake pedals (1 for each wheel)… I think these electronics rival the ability of the best drivers. The same applies to DSC for accelerating. A driver has no controls that apply braking force to 2 left wheels while simultaneously applying throttle to the right rear wheel. These electronics have the capability of applying more controls than the driver has arms or legs to control. I know the DSC does not win races, but I believe that when used smartly its ability to stabilize a yawing vehicle exceeds that of the best drivers.

Maybe this weekend I will reinstall the snow tires and wheels and keep them on for the duration of winter?

beauport
12-27-2002, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by CD-55

Maybe this weekend I will reinstall the snow tires and wheels and keep them on for the duration of winter?

A lot less miles on the summer tires and you're ready when the weatherman screws up and a storm rolls in.

pdz
12-29-2002, 08:05 AM
am still amazed at how people trash the AWD that BMW uses. for most instances, and this includes up to 6inches of snow in boston, it works quite well.

and i hazard to say: it engages in a much more controllable way than a purely mechanical system as found on the WRX.

now, layer over that DSC and the xi is very stable in treacherous weather whereas a purely mechanical system in a novice's (let's be kind and say non-snow loving person's) hands gets wooly as the car drifts and car control is still quite necessary.

it's a great contrast to have both to use, but i still feel that BMW's system does well.